Tokai: Truck deliveries

(Deon)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

true, but how often do they quarry? heavy machinery will give 90% of the help required to rebuild. Maybe a judicious choice of location will prevent all from being rolled over?

Deon: can u give us an indication of just how feasible it wouldbe for some DJs at the Quarry, The place is near perfect for it.

Some clever use of the existing terrain and we could build some very interesting features.

Okay i have managed to stop the adrenalin. Went with the boertjie and mayhem, to tokai and did some jumping and some falling. If i'm honest, being my first time on this sorta DH stuff, i shat myself.

What it has proven is a need for an easier environment to learn how to gain speed, pump/hit the jump and land, starting small and building up as the confidence grows.

So my question is, where in Cape Town can i go play around and learn this? A pump track? BMX track? Give me details please.

Edited by Chubba

So my question is, where in Cape Town can i go play around and learn this? A pump track? BMX track? Give me details please.

So my answer is:

UCT (just below UCT, you can see it from M3)

Potato trails in HoutBay (see the pic)

Belair in Stellies (dont know where about tho)

post-11648-0-04995100-1315656405.jpg

Edited by Manchillz

So my answer is:

UCT (just below UCT, you can see it from M3)

Potato trails in HoutBay (see the pic)

Belair in Stellies (dont know where about tho)

Awesome. Thanks man. Can you just pitch up, pay and ride?

Awesome. Thanks man. Can you just pitch up, pay and ride?

You just pitch up and ride

for free :clap:

We not stingy like TMNP etc :P

Edited by Manchillz

Chubba: rather spend a few hours at a place like Delvera first. Manchillz is right, those places are all good for jumping practice, BUT, they not really meant for complete beginners.

The mill for instance has one or two smaller stuff for complete beginners, but not like a whole line you can just keep hitting to build up the confidence. Having something to flow thru builds confidence very quickly.

Some clever use of the existing terrain and we could build some very interesting features.

agreed completely.

Deon: why would sustainable feature if the quarry is really just an industrial zone within the reserve.Or are they planning to cancel mining operations and rehabilitate the quarry?

Edited by Capricorn

Chubba: rather spend a few hours at a place like Delvera first. Manchillz is right, those places are all good for jumping practice, BUT, they not really meant for complete beginners.

The mill for instance has one or two smaller stuff for complete beginners, but not like a whole line you can just keep hitting to build up the confidence. Having something to flow thru builds confidence very quickly.

Lekka thanks, going to try get out there next weekend. Would a Shova work well there?

Edited by Chubba

Lekka thanks, going to try get out there next weekend. Would a Shova work well there?

Dude, I'm taking the DH bike. I need to get some GT action in, and the HT isn't exactly my best friend at the moment.

Dude, I'm taking the DH bike. I need to get some GT action in, and the HT isn't exactly my best friend at the moment.

Won't that be a bit hard to pump, most prob better on a hardtail. Hows the neck and kop?

Must say im feeling a tad sore.

Edited by Chubba

agreed completely.

Deon: why would sustainable feature if the quarry is really just an industrial zone within the reserve.Or are they planning to cancel mining operations and rehabilitate the quarry?

Ja, the quarries have a lifespan and it looks like they have already started the rehab. I am securing what is probably the last of the digging req's, but who really knows. If the rain kills some part of the JT, they will not move to a new Quarry when one is still available..

MTB is one facet of Tokai's function. The change from Pine to au naturel is attracting wildlife back to the area. I had a steenbok fly passed me, only to later see Caracal tracks cover my Minions in pursuit of the buck. Quite a sight really. What I am trying to say in this round about way is, there will be Fauna and Flora attracting hikers to this area, dirt jumps are not really low impact in terms of visibility. Getting the DH development approved is showing just how small the footprint must be. So it needs to be clever, not as prominent as DJ.. besides, if more fill is one day needed, each mound may just be enough to fill a truck!

Won't that be a bit hard to pump, most prob better on a hardtail. Hows the neck and kop?

Must say im feeling a tad sore.

You raise an interesting point... HT bike is going into the shop to have its squeakiness looked at. I suspect it's a bust BB, as it was creaking like hell when I was applying the power at Nitida on Saturday. But I'm still taking the DH bike. I'll rack up the preload on the rear, and bump up the rebound & compression to help it pop. My mate ill be on the HT, if it's outta the shop by then. Should be out by Friday.

Kop is still a bit sore, but at the moment I feel v drowsy and out of sorts. 2nd cup of coffee (and it's STRONG coffee - 2 heaped teaspoons of Jacobs Kronung per cup) and I'm yet to wake up fully.

Neck is still stiff, and the back is compensating for that.

In short - I'm still stuffed, but the headache is mostly gone. For now...