29er Gearing

BlinkFan

7.25% less power on the 29er and 7.25% more speed with the same ratios

Huh?!?

Sorry, to be doff, but can you explain a bit more.

You lost me.

Huh?!?

Sorry, to be doff, but can you explain a bit more.

You lost me.

On the 29er you need to push 7.25% more power to go up the same hill as the 26 but the benefit is in the top speed

7.25% less power on the 29er and 7.25% more speed with the same ratios

I'd like to hear that explanation as well.

I'd like to hear that explanation as well.

Put larger circumference tyres on your car, it will ruin the driving experience, the car will lose pulling power. If you are lucky you will get a higher top speed but it is quite likely you won't have the power to achieve it

Edited by chris_w_65

Put larger circumference tyres on your car, it will ruin the driving experience, the car will lose pulling power. If you are lucky you will get a higher top speed but it is quite likely you won't have the power to achieve it

And a small change in circumference can make a big difference on a car, the gearing is designed/calculated with a certain circumference in mind

And a small change in circumference can make a big difference on a car, the gearing is designed/calculated with a certain circumference in mind

On my superbike I dropped a tooth on my front sprocket, now it lifts the front wheel in 1st when I grab a handful. The top speed is theoretically lower but now I have the power to pull all the way to the rev limiter in 6th so I actually get a higher top speed

When I replace my chain and sprockets I will also go a couple of teeth bigger at the back, then the power will be awesome. I will lose top speed then for sure.