Stair machine

doris

Ok so have a question please :)

that stair machine in the gym - it gives you a distance - now would this be the vertical climb or the forward distance that was covered ?

Also would you climb higher with longer strokes on the machine or does it go on revolutions - so short faster ones are better ?

Then in mind with the above what is the best way to optimize your work out on one?

Interesting questions, I occasionally use the machines myself but never really thought about it. I would imagine the distance is your forward movement and not ascent as in my opinion ascent is irrelevant, I would think its just a function to increase resistance.

Thanx GOG - nope it cannot be forward as you are going upwards :D

ascent is relevant :)

Interesting though when you up the level it drops the resistance which means you have to work harder ? strange however boy in 20 minutes you can get an excellent workout for the legs ......can push 0.600 in 20 minutes with a push however seem to average just over the 0.5 mark now

You Gog ?

Thanx GOG - nope it cannot be forward as you are going upwards :D

ascent is relevant :)

Interesting though when you up the level it drops the resistance which means you have to work harder ? strange however boy in 20 minutes you can get an excellent workout for the legs ......can push 0.600 in 20 minutes with a push however seem to average just over the 0.5 mark now

You Gog ?

Not really sure, haven't used it for a while. I'll have to ask someone at the VA if its up or forward, I just think upward is a form of resistance, you still need to move forward..........but I hear you, dont really know to be honest.

...yeah indeed, it works well, especially my calves.

If I remember right you are supposed to do 12 inch steps or something. I honestly can't believe you can get a work out from doing fast 1 inch steps, and I always laugh at the people who do just that (and there are lots of them). I have never seen 1 inch steps, its logical that a bigger step is more beneficial. When you up the level it drops the resistance, which makes you take more steps per minute.