thehub now sending junk email

andydude

Seems to me that the forum was getting a kickback from Flook/Olympic Cycles/Eagle Canyon Cycles? That's how it looked to me at least.

Why is this such an issue? Is the owner of TheHub who has worked for many years gratis to get to this point, not entitled to benefit? Irrelevant in my opinion.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took halfday tomorrow, bike prepped and going to rip some terra firma just after 12!! yeeeeehaw

That is of course if I dont get another email that takes me a f,,, day to get over :P

Hehe have an awesome weekend riding guys n gals!!

I'm getting my bike back from the shop tomorrow... Can't wait to ride with the changes! Upped the front travel to 120 from 100 and put a new crank on after the old one broke... Hitting the forest in the pm. Just have to remember to steer clear of boulders/DH1 due to the logging going on...

look Bob, dont make me stalk you ! It will not be preddy ..... do you want a bottle of red or white ? or do you want dry champers?

Some of the peeps on this thread:

http://www.necro-equine-sadism.com/beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

they think that dead horses do not kick or bite!

Some of the peeps on this thread:

http://www.necro-equine-sadism.com/beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

who wears a purple shirt??? (disturbing)

Edited by Chubba

Why is this such an issue? Is the owner of TheHub who has worked for many years gratis to get to this point, not entitled to benefit? Irrelevant in my opinion.

Advertising is the standard way Forums generate revenue. Spamming members is unethical, and I've never seen the likes of this. He's quite entitled to make money from his site, but not in this way. It's a precedent not worth setting. What if all forums did this, with whatever they deemed relevant?

Anyway, I've said my bit. Pardon for this late reply to this all. Only picked up the mail late this afternoon. I'll be redirecting TheHub's future comms to my junk mail account.

FSA, can you please explain yourself further ? Admin has apologised for doing something that was thought to be in the interests of us a group of bike riders.

The point is, if that were the only reason Admin apologized for, I would have had a hard time to believe him, since he should have known better, coming from his background and ownership of this website.

However he also apologized for his lack of judgment. That being unable to resist the temptation of substantially higher advertising revenues by sending ads directly to the Hub email database than merely posting them in the classifieds section. For recognizing this mistake and apologizing for this, I do accept his apology.

This is my last post in this issue.

Advertising is the standard way Forums generate revenue. Spamming members is unethical, and I've never seen the likes of this. He's quite entitled to make money from his site, but not in this way. It's a precedent not worth setting. What if all forums did this, with whatever they deemed relevant?

Anyway, I've said my bit. Pardon for this late reply to this all. Only picked up the mail late this afternoon. I'll be redirecting TheHub's future comms to my junk mail account.

why is an apology not good enough ? A genuine mistake was made and an homest apology given.

Fair enough, and others do share your sentiments. I do however believe admin handled this issue and his apology in a mature and sincere manner.

Edited by Chubba

why is an apology not good enough ? A genuine mistake was made and an homest apology given.

Repeat from above. His apology is accepted. Thanks

Anyone else received this first of a kind advertising email from the HUB this morning?

I am a member of many forums, but never have a owner abused the membership email database to distribute spam advertising before. This is a definite first for me and something I did not subscribe for.

Dear Topwine

As a valued member of our site, we wanted you to be one of the first to know about some unmatched cycling specials being offered by FLOOK sporting deals: In Cape Town, a general service at Olympic Cycles, plus a set of cables and a water bottle, for just R375 (normal price R720). And in Joburg, a major service at Eagle Canyon Cycles for just R300 (normal price R600).

This is 48% and 50% off the normal price respectively. Visit the Flook site now to sign up and take advantage of these great deals.

Regards,

the hub

They spelled your name incorrectly, it should be "Topwhine"!

I don't really care about a 50% discount, I win the UK lotto every week. Just waiting for the winnings to reflect.

Edited by YUMEYA