Oldest entrant will be 72 next year

Average age is 37

Median age is also 37

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there in Jan too! I did 5:55 in 2010 then broke my collar bone so couldnt do 2011! Looking for 5:30 this time

aj are we twins? Did a 5:50 in 2010, broke my shoulder so couldn't do 2011. Haha.

Parallel universe or something?

I am seriously considering this event again. Hope I can get my CTC refund ASAP to enter. Apparently the entries will be full by end of next week..... :o

• 3 weeks later...

Normal entries close today at 00:00. I've heard that there is less than 200 spots available and this includes people that have registered and have not paid.

I wonder why they are not selling out last year... does prove that word of mouth is powerful (this year's race was super hard with the cold water and terrible weather). Maybe a good lesson for Challenge Cape Town crowd.

Time are tough guys. Not everyone has the $$$$ or the time.

Esp in this market.

Last Year they only had 2400 entries. This year there os 3000 spots. so with only 200 spots left they are 400 more than last year already with late entries to come. It sells because its well organized,has a great vibe and some prestige when you completed it. The entry cost is anyway a fraction of your full cost to do this thing.

Guys, this may be a dumb question :rolleyes: , but being a first timer I just want to make sure of the cut off times of each discipline.

You have 1:10 for the swim, 4:05 for the cycle and 3:15 for the run and then there are some specific cut off times for each discipline as well eg. bike @ 12:30 for wave 2. So does this mean if you do the the swim in 1 hr you effectively have 10min more for the bike and just need to finish before 12:30 or do I still have 4:05 from the time I start the bike and then need to finish at 12:20.

:huh: Hope this makes sense...

Guys, this may be a dumb question :rolleyes: , but being a first timer I just want to make sure of the cut off times of each discipline.

You have 1:10 for the swim, 4:05 for the cycle and 3:15 for the run and then there are some specific cut off times for each discipline as well eg. bike @ 12:30 for wave 2. So does this mean if you do the the swim in 1 hr you effectively have 10min more for the bike and just need to finish before 12:30 or do I still have 4:05 from the time I start the bike and then need to finish at 12:20.

:huh: Hope this makes sense...

Your first assumtion is correct.

What you win in the swim you can add to the bike and what you win in the bike and swim you can add to the run before final cut off. Eg the only critical cutt off is the swim and the final cutt off per wave.

Dont worry there is plenty of time to make the cut off and plenty of time to "enjoy" the race.

Your first assumtion is correct.

What you win in the swim you can add to the bike and what you win in the bike and swim you can add to the run before final cut off. Eg the only critical cutt off is the swim and the final cutt off per wave.

Dont worry there is plenty of time to make the cut off and plenty of time to "enjoy" the race.

Unfortunately this is only correct in the full IM. The half IM you have a cut off for each discipline. They will however not stop you during the race as long as you are within the overall last cut off times so you should finish and get the medal, you will however not get the finshers certificate etc the following day if you missed ANY ONE OF THE THREE CUT OFF TIMES.

Swim cut off is 70min

Bike is 04h05

Run is 03h15

My suggestion therefore is that if you have time to burn, rather take your time in transition. If you are a strong cyclist for example, no need to transition from bike to run in 2 minutes and then walk the first 5km's of the run. Rather take 10min in transition, rest and then have a good start to the run. THere is no cut off time for transition.

Just some clarity on the cut offs as some info seems a little conflicting. Last year I was at the transition entrance as a voluteer (injury kept me out of the race), so witnessed the practice first hand.

The cut off for the bike is the difficult one. You get cut off at the swim time plus the bike time from your own wave start. Effectively there is a seperate cutoff for each wave.

Your race number is checked and you are allowed into transition or not. They are well organised and you cannot slip through.

You are not allowed to continue the race if you have not made the cutoff.

There were many tears. It was heartbreaking to watch these athletes having busted a gut in the most horrific conditions last year being pulled off the course.

It is not called Ironman for nothing.

Last year was difficult, because due to the cold water it took 10km on the bike just to warm up. And then of course the heavy rain probably also took out another 10min out of each competitors bike time....