IM70.3 SA

gadget

The bike collection at the end was an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!!!

They stack according to the time you arrived back, fair enough, but I got back at 11.30 and found my bike in the 12:15-12:45 pack. I must have been in that pen for over an hour hour searching over 3000 bikes for mine.

That needs some work.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bike collection at the end was an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!!!

They stack according to the time you arrived back, fair enough, but I got back at 11.30 and found my bike in the 12:15-12:45 pack. I must have been in that pen for over an hour hour searching over 3000 bikes for mine.

That needs some work.

At Zurich 70.3 they take your photo with the bike when you enter the transistion AND again when you leave after the race, transition area only opened at 4pm and it took forever to get out after the race....

Was standing in the long queue feeling nauseas and had a thunder storm, was not pleasant.

Just completed my first Ironman event. Think the bug has bitten.

I see registration for full Ironman is still open (I see there is discount if you spend R130 at spec savers). Question I would like to ask is, how achievable is it to be more fitter / ready in three months for the full. Ive never even ran a full marathon before.

Is it something I can consider? Or should I look to trying full next year?

Anything is Possilbe :thumbup:

You have a good base and you will need to add some longer rides and runs over the next few weeks.

Anything is Possilbe :thumbup:

You have a good base and you will need to add some longer rides and runs over the next few weeks.

I agree. Some say the half is tougher than the full. Its all flat in Pe :thumbup:

You could solve the drafting problem to some extent by having more waves. That business of swimming with 1000 other people was not fun. Perhaps 200-400 people per wave. That spreads everyone out a little. I saw maybe 1 referee and I personally hate drafting even if I get some benefit from it.. and found that I drafted more in this race than in 94.7! No matter how much you move around and try open up a space in front of you, groups tend to form around you (my finding at least). Maybe more referees or even decoy referees were needed. They can just get people to ride up and down on bikes. The drafting police at IMSA are much better, so it was strange to see so few referees in this race.

I think the large number of athletes also impacted the swim times. You have to be right at the front and swim like a dolphin to get a decent time otherwise it's all about surviving the kicks and punches. I guess I need to learn to not stop and regroup but just keep swimming when I get attacked. Also, what's with this business of swimming front crawl with the arms and breaststroke with the legs. First time I have seen such a thing. I wish breaststroke could be banned in triathlon.. not that I want to whine but it's one of the things that drives me nuts in these races. Save your flipping legs for the bike and run ffs!

You must have encountered Garfield during the swim. He has a special attack and claw tactic that leaves its victim feeling rather less manly :clap:

You must have encountered Garfield during the swim. He has a special attack and claw tactic that leaves its victim feeling rather less manly :clap:

Think Garfield got me in the ribs with a kick

Think Garfield got me in the ribs with a kick

00:50:40 was Garfield's swim time.. Mine was just under 40. Looks like he was too busy with the under water Kung Fu

Edited by gripen

Swim times seem slow, even for the pros

Must have been a current

Both mens (26:29 vs record 18:33) and ladies (26:56 vs record 20:28) swim times were about 8 minutes outside the record (about 43% (men), both set in 2008).

Both mens and ladies fastest swimmers were 1:30 slower than 2011 which had horrific conditions.

Conditions were relatively mild on Sunday which would indicate faster times.

We can safely infer that the swim distance is not consistent.

Maybe they should look at starting the race at 06h00. One hour extra would create space for at least 6 more waves if there is a 10 minute gap between waves. This will mean smaller waves and maybe a better spread on the cycle leg.

I agree with Dave. The distance did feel a good bit further than 1.9km. Specially the long stretch between buoys 1 and 2. You can't blame them, how the heck do you keep the buoys perfectly anchored with all the currents (especially those created by the swimmers). Dave's analysis makes me feel somewhat better about my slowish swim time, so the training wasn't all for nothing then.

Both mens (26:29 vs record 18:33) and ladies (26:56 vs record 20:28) swim times were about 8 minutes outside the record (about 43% (men), both set in 2008).

Both mens and ladies fastest swimmers were 1:30 slower than 2011 which had horrific conditions.

Conditions were relatively mild on Sunday which would indicate faster times.

We can safely infer that the swim distance is not consistent.

Well dissected.

I was 1 minute slower despite putting in a lot of effort into my swimming over the last year. Several of my mates were also slower than previous years and also put in a ton of training.

I did the clifton mile a few weeks ago in roughly 8 minutes less than 70.3. There is no way that it takes me 8 minutes to swim 300m. I am not that slow.

Seems like the only explanation is that the swim route was slightly longer than 1900.

Notwithstanding the above, it was a great day out and I have already entered for next year. I think the organisers have to increase the number of waves. That swim start for wave 2 was ridiculous. What was going on around buoy 1 was insane. I am not saying that it wont happen in a smaller wave, but when 1100 competitive souls rush toward one turn its a recipe for disaster. I think one guy popped his shoulder at the turn and that was his day over. If their main concern is safety, then they really need to reconsider the number of waves, because wave 2 was far from safe IMHO.

Edited by Zula

I agree with Dave. The distance did feel a good bit further than 1.9km. Specially the long stretch between buoys 1 and 2. You can't blame them, how the heck do you keep the buoys perfectly anchored with all the currents (especially those created by the swimmers). Dave's analysis makes me feel somewhat better about my slowish swim time, so the training wasn't all for nothing then.

oh my word. to stick with the ausopen vibe, i'll have to quote john mcenroe here:

you cannot be serious?!

it's pretty frikken easy to set a course within a strict variance of 20m. currents from swimmers? are you all chuck norris in wetsuits?!

if the course really was out by +20% as you are intimating, then they should really get a gatskop from the licence holders. they take 'world records' off this sort of thing don't they? can't blame them??why not..you've paid an exhorbitant amount of cash and the least you'd expect is a bit of accuracy.