Tokai trail maintenance: DH lower

(Deon)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where u building thi PoS :unsure: So I know where to go if i want to fall off again :D

DH 3.. we will need some crash testers. Are you saying you are good at falling?

DH 3.. we will need some crash testers. Are you saying you are good at falling?

Me Im awsome at it 2nd only to Tumbleweed I think :whistling: I can do it standing still :blush:

Me Im awsome at it 2nd only to Tumbleweed I think :whistling: I can do it standing still :blush:

My boy, YOU have a talent, but 2nd only to Tumbleweed? BEst we get you both out there.

Practice!

All good guys. 1st day done..

Essentially this is being regarded as a new track, so we have cut the trail back to the foundation. You will see it is looking very 'sterile' but don't worry, 'virility' is on its way.

There will be a day for planning. I suggest anyone with a bit of flexibility in their day job, who is interested in DH, join us to walk the course and listen/suggest features you would like to be riding. Remember though, this is not destined to be a huck-fest but rather provide the maximum enjoyment of an otherwise very straight line downhill.

A few corners need to be included, but to not steal any speed, I am going to suggest putting these higher up where there is still enough slope to regain momentum without much effort.

When is the course walk?

When is the course walk?

Daneger, it should be this week but there are timing issues which we are trying to work around.

Vince will hopefully extend the invite to some more guys from the closed group.. you know which one. I have been suggesting to have it more open but for some valid reasons, it may be limited to a few in terms of how many opinions are expressed. The guys who have already been put forward for design are pretty good at their game, that's enough reassurance for me that this track will both satisfy the rider skills in terms of progression options, and challenge those wanting to fly to the next level... get my drift? :drool:

The design also has to fit into the Park's requirement of having low visible impact, but who am I to tell you about that... :lol:

PoS,

I know it isn't my place to complain about any of the trails, and believe me it isn't me intention.

But i've ridden down most of the DH trails on a HT XC bike with 90mm travel.

I know that Tokai is mostly flowing single track and not all the technical...

obiusly, for me, being a XC rider, im not talking about the jumps,

but maybe, and i'd be glad to help, we could try and add a technical section, maybe similar to the rock gardens in PMB?? :thumbup:

Or something else that will really test the technical ability of riders?

Just a thought.

New trail is awesome btw :clap: :clap:

PoS,

I know it isn't my place to complain about any of the trails, and believe me it isn't me intention.

But i've ridden down most of the DH trails on a HT XC bike with 90mm travel.

I know that Tokai is mostly flowing single track and not all the technical...

obiusly, for me, being a XC rider, im not talking about the jumps,

but maybe, and i'd be glad to help, we could try and add a technical section, maybe similar to the rock gardens in PMB?? :thumbup:

Or something else that will really test the technical ability of riders?

Just a thought.

New trail is awesome btw :clap: :clap:

Don't worry,that's not a complaint.

It has been a tough one in terms of getting approval and getting consensus on course features. I am the mediator between the all the parties and sometimes I don't have good news, but on the whole, the the news has not been all that bad.

It was decided that the basis of the DH track is already in place. What we would provide is 'shaping' on par with what you will find at most bike-parks:

DH1: This is a flow track with jumps, drops and berms that uses the contour quite well for minimal maintenance. It conforms to all standards set out by the managing conservation groups. The response to this divert on the old track has been overwhelmingly good.

DH2: Not much done here. All that this track needs it the required erosion control features. This second part of the course offers gnarly rocks, off camber roots and turns and a few stunts in between. The potential to continue developing this part exists but if it works now, and if the guys are enjoying it, then no need to change it.. onto the most urgent section>

DH3: This is the part of the course that was built while the trees still offered shelter and the first to provide an insight into weathering. It is a maintenance nightmare! Some serious thinking is needed to; 1. get approval to build it on par with international bike-park standards without it visually impacting recreational riders, hikers, horse-riders etc... (a very real consideration). 2. offer enough enjoyment that will provide sleepless nights waiting for the weekend. 3. test the rider's skills and offer a progressive training platform for the race circuit. As with all the other tracks on the mtn, it needs to conform to the conservation guidelines.

The end goal is something of a compromise between all these factors. Tokai is and will always be recreationally based, but there is no reason why it cannot provide for a good level of training for the locals.

The PMB rock gardens are not really conducive to the slope. It will scrub too much speed.

Does that help?

NB, all the tracks will receive attention, just in varying degrees.

Daneger, it should be this week but there are timing issues which we are trying to work around.

Vince will hopefully extend the invite to some more guys from the closed group.. you know which one. I have been suggesting to have it more open but for some valid reasons, it may be limited to a few in terms of how many opinions are expressed. The guys who have already been put forward for design are pretty good at their game, that's enough reassurance for me that this track will both satisfy the rider skills in terms of progression options, and challenge those wanting to fly to the next level... get my drift? :drool:

The design also has to fit into the Park's requirement of having low visible impact, but who am I to tell you about that... :lol:

No problem, just drop me a PM or something, hopefully I will be available,hopefully no meeting clashes either. Would be nice to hear and see the ideas people have

Rode the rehabilitated lower DH section yesterday (I presume we are allowed to), it is super quick, very sandy at the moment but understandable seeming it is a work in progress, it is going to be top notch once complete.

When is the next build? Would be keen to join.

Last time I built in Tokai was the national track about 14 years ago. hahaha.

Is that the same one we still ride? Cos its been there for as long as i can remember!

Nope. Was vastly different! Original one actually ended in Porter School for two seasons.

Had some fantastic stuff at the top, one being a massive "parachute drop" as it was called. Then into some slow tech rocky stuff, out onto the jeep track and long pedal down into switchbacks. Eventually this top section was cut out and a new section formed.

I should dig out all the old pics. Will just have to scan the slides.