Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

I have done the Bonitas 50km marathon on 18 Sept. Last weekend I did the Joburg Tri.

So the only thing that is left is a long bike ride.

The Valverde 168km event in the cradle on 8 October seems the obvious choice. Am going to ride the 6 laps solo on my own. My aim is 7 hours.

Any one else doing this?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I'm tempted. Hmm. Route profile? Though I guess it doesn't matter. Are you going to draft where possible or pure time trial? 168km on the road bike.. that's going to hurt.

I scraped together a route profile in Google Earth. Looks manageable.

http://i52.tinypic.com/i1g1h1.jpg

Time trial bars not allowed so I will basically go at it on my road bike. Plan is not to draft but take it lekker rustig. It is all about getting 7 hours in on the bike. Some company would be great though....

Dit gaan vokkin vervelig wees. Sal dalk my Drifta en I-Phone op my handlebars mount en rugby kyk of iets!!!

Its the same route we used for a marathon brick session before IM this year except we parked at Something Country.

I heard the Cape Town elevation delta is 2800m or something. Over 168km, this would be 2400m. Comparable.. and altitude. I will also take it leisurely if I do this, road bike is gonna suck. Gonna have to take the Clip-ons off and put them back for the Energade race the next day.

I'll see how much damage Energade does on Sunday, predicting none and planning a long run in the afternoon.

I'm expecting to average somewhere in the ballpark of 26km/h for Cape Town. So 6.5 hours seems on the mark for this race.

Why put the bars back on for a drafting race?

Anyways, after this race, Harties BSG wil just be to stretch the legs a little bit.....

So join me, we can leave our coolerbox at the registration tent which is next to the road. So every lap we can quickly stop and refill etc.....

Let me get back to you, need to check my schedule. Will decide on Sunday night.

Why use the bars? More comfortable. And I have the bars, may as well use them. Might not find a group that rides at a good pace at these races so will need to time trial a bit.

Sounds good, organised training ride :-)

I phoned the organisers. no bars allowed. I told them I am goling solo but they said no.......

Ok please let me know. We will not be sorry come 6 November......

Damn, bars would have been nice for a 6hr ride. New record on the road bike. SIGH... Let's say I'm 90% in, need to check with work colleagues about standby blah blah.

Yes, will not be sorry, I do agree. Should even squeeze in a brick run, but let's not push it.

Not a bad idea.... Maybe we can do a 4km brick run. Although with the run route in Cape Town I am considering walking the first 7km's as it is uphill and the hopefully run the last 35km in 04h00....... Hope to do the marathon in 5:30 and the bike in 7 plus the swim in 100min......

Hoping for a 15 hour race.....

I'm a bit undertrained for an IM distance. I'm not going to peg a time down with all those hills. I'd say "just finish" but if I'm going to be still running in the late evening, that's going to be a bit unpleasant :) The swim should be ok, it's flat afterall ;-) but the bike, I dunno. Those hills look rough. Will see about the marathon, the first few km on IM will always be slow. I'd be happy if I can do somewhere in the region of my time for 2011 IMSA. Add an extra hour for the hills. So if I can come in somewhere around 13.5 - 14 hours I'll be happy.

Edited by gripen