Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

Why not organise an informal IM, call it a training day.. maybe 50 of us club together some funds and do this. Though there will be no medal at the end :) Or timing chips (unless someone can organise). Lots of ifs and butts, can't really race, have to do the whole distance in a group. If someone is brave, they can arrange something. Effectively a 14hour training session :-) I'm still leaning towards Jailbreak though I know nothing about this race.

Does anyone know about the Triple Challenge or Slanghoek Tri?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, you can dust off your mtbs and come make good use of your fitness here:

it's november 12th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Detw661gjhw&feature=player_embedded

www.wcad.co.za

and ja, we've got no outstanding issues with Ceres municipality to resolve

Well said Steve... the WCAD series adventure race would put your hard earned fitness to great effect!

The 80km course will be a "Challenge" in itself. Winners expected to complete the course in 8 hours and back markers in 14 hours so should make for a good day out.

At R500 per team of two it is also relatively AMAZING value for money.

Give the site a visit: www.wcad.co.za ... who knows you might just find that Adventure Racing is the vibe you have been looking fo all along!!!!

I raced Challenge Roth 2011 in Germany this year, what a awesome experience i will never forget with over 250 000 spectators lining the course like in the Tour de France. One of the best organised events i've ever been at. Over 3500 competitors and with entries selling out within 24hours after opening 1 year ahead of race day!

Its very sad news, but looking back one could've seen it coming after they formal 'Stop rumors letter' without any follow-up with the confirmed course a few weeks back. :thumbdown:

Couldn't they just do it like IMSA 3 X 60k bike lap and why that run through the city center..? Why not hug the beautiful coastline and eliminate half of the road closures already???

This would've been my 3rd IM distance race for the year. Guess i can only keep on tapering and race BSG Energade Midmar now next weekend... Whoooopy!!

Will think twice about doing it in 2012.

Well said Steve... the WCAD series adventure race would put your hard earned fitness to great effect!

The 80km course will be a "Challenge" in itself. Winners expected to complete the course in 8 hours and back markers in 14 hours so should make for a good day out.

At R500 per team of two it is also relatively AMAZING value for money.

Give the site a visit: www.wcad.co.za ... who knows you might just find that Adventure Racing is the vibe you have been looking fo all along!!!!

Nice marketing Steve :) If there is no abseil or an easy way not to do it - I may consider this now!!! There is also the slanhoek triathlon guys and then of course Jailbreak - which is a great race!!!!

I like how when you check the Challenge website, the count down clock still says 17 days to go...

:lol:

You have to go to news to see the article

Nice marketing Steve :) If there is no abseil or an easy way not to do it - I may consider this now!!! There is also the slanhoek triathlon guys and then of course Jailbreak - which is a great race!!!!

There will be a "way round" the abseil but there is also a zipline (foofyslide) that is less avoidable.

Problem being that if you are not up for an abseil then you might not enjoy some other aspects of adventure racing... just so that i dont get bombarded with unhappy triathletes after the race....

Adventure Racing involves:

Navigation... by map and compass... managable for novice tho.

getting lost... when the above doesnt pan out how you expected

basic ropework (abseil) supervised and gear provided

bundu-bashing sometime the shortest route is not on a path/road sometimes the onoly route is not on a path/road

That said.... if you are up for an ADVENTURE then you will absolutely love the sport!!!!!!!!

It is always funny how they throw the word "safety of competitors" in as the first reason. Why dont they just tell the truth and say what really happened (or didnt happen)?

If there was not enough entries to pay for the cycle road closures then say it as it is.

It is funny that the entries was extended indefinately. I wonder how many people really entered?

I wonder what would happen if the Cape Argus announces 17 days in advance that the Argus has been cancelled.

Why are we standing for this bullshait?

Then I get this email blaming safety and immediately offering to roll over my entry and they actually state that most guys have done that already -- yet in a later email they say they will contact us later to ask if we want the refund or the roll over?

So how many people have really rolled over or is this a cheap way to try and get us to keep our investment with them for a further 12 months????

I am seriously starting to question the integrity of these guys...

It is always funny how they throw the word "safety of competitors" in as the first reason. Why dont they just tell the truth and say what really happened (or didnt happen)?

If there was not enough entries to pay for the cycle road closures then say it as it is.

It is funny that the entries was extended indefinately. I wonder how many people really entered?

I wonder what would happen if the Cape Argus announces 17 days in advance that the Argus has been cancelled.

Why are we standing for this bullshait?

Then I get this email blaming safety and immediately offering to roll over my entry and they actually state that most guys have done that already -- yet in a later email they say they will contact us later to ask if we want the refund or the roll over?

So how many people have really rolled over or is this a cheap way to try and get us to keep our investment with them for a further 12 months????

I am seriously starting to question the integrity of these guys...

I feel for you Garf. You seem to have put a lot of time and $ into this event. Totally not cool what has happened but click on the link posted by urban ninja. Seems like the only positive spin in this massive stuff up.

If you still come down to CT send me a PM and we can grab a drink somewhere!

Wonder if any sort of re-imbursement for flights and accomodation costs for International athletes will be offered?

Wonder if any sort of re-imbursement for flights and accomodation costs for International and local athletes will be offered?

Fixed

Why not organise an informal IM, call it a training day.. maybe 50 of us club together some funds and do this. Though there will be no medal at the end :) Or timing chips (unless someone can organise). Lots of ifs and butts, can't really race, have to do the whole distance in a group. If someone is brave, they can arrange something. Effectively a 14hour training session :-) I'm still leaning towards Jailbreak though I know nothing about this race.

Does anyone know about the Triple Challenge or Slanghoek Tri?

http://www2.triplechallenge.co.za/

triple challenge has a brutal first run 19km of up and downs on dirt roads and wet grass and river to cross here and there.

the mtb is fairly easy on the technical side but the run before makes those rolling hills a little more tougher.

the last 7km run is a doddle but you will for sure cramp sometime during that run... unless you paddle...

HARD mans race.

Thanks, more of an Xterra then. Not really a replacement for an Ironman race. Oh well. Jailbreak it will be :)