Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

Further thoughts to you guys:

Challenge is an international brand of significant financial muscle. Their press release reads like it was written by a lawyer to minimise fallout and put a positive spin on this.

Any lawyers have an idea on what Challenge's obligations are? The event has not been cancelled by something beyond their control. They have actively misrepresented what they are selling which has resulted in consequential loss for those who have taken up the offer.

This will have significant consequence to the Challenge brand in SA and around the world.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys will never see me again. They have taken a lot of money from us and obviously drawn the interest from it as well. I entered 6 months back already +-) I doubt they will refund my entry + 10% interest?

Not to even speak about the flights, accomodation etc that has been booked.

In fact, the Argus can also say goodbye. I have done a lot of investing in Cape Town by doing the Argus 9 times in the last 10 years. If this is how they thank us then they can keep their events to themselves.

Local is lekker.

Dont blame the best city in the world for a bunch of fools who tried to organise challenge. They should have known they wouldn't get road closure right at the beginning before entries opened. I am pretty sure that cape town's view on the road closure would have been the same a few months ago as it was a few days ago.

They never did the research and the athletes got burnt. I would send them some well worded lawyers letters demanding cash back + interest.

In fact, the Argus can also say goodbye. I have done a lot of investing in Cape Town by doing the Argus 9 times in the last 10 years. If this is how they thank us then they can keep their events to themselves.

That to be honest is my big burning itch here. These guys have done the Cape Town brand damage, I don't know what went on behind the scenes but it would be very interesting to see exactly what was agreed to from the city. The city is trying to push the Cape Town marathon as a world class event, along the lines of new yokr,boston, london etc. They should have raised a red flag ages ago, but let's see who gets the fingers pointing for the blame game.

I would LOVE to see:

• road management plan
  • suggestions for crossing the muizenberg sunrise market area twice...wonder if grant ever saw what this looks like on a sunday?
  • any objections raised by citizens whose roads had been closed(assuming none since no one seems to have been told)
  • an explanation of what exactly a 'rolling road closure' is for a 17hour race.

These guys will never see me again. They have taken a lot of money from us and obviously drawn the interest from it as well. I entered 6 months back already +-) I doubt they will refund my entry + 10% interest?

Not to even speak about the flights, accomodation etc that has been booked.

Local is lekker.

I have to agree with Garf here. These Challenge clowns have cost a lot of the working class plenty money that they will never see again.

Don't worry my man, with BSG Prestige, Buffelspoort Ultra, and the Xterra all coming up in the next couple months, there is plenty to train for in Jozi.

Agree Brad, lets say 500 athletes from say Joburg entered. They have partners. 1000 people. Flight tickets, accomodation etc. We are talking ten millions here (If each pair averages R10,000 like we do then we are talking TEN MILLION in fact). I promisede my wife some family time from November onwards. So now this has cost me the 70.3 and IM PE as my budget is blown as well as time.

I specifically did it in the winter to accomodate my wife as nomrally people sleep a bit later in winter time so me being away is not so obvious.

Agree SteveCT, for the cities sake they should disclose the info so we can name and shame.

I have to agree with Garf here. These Challenge clowns have cost a lot of the working class plenty money that they will never see again.

Don't worry my man, with BSG Prestige, Buffelspoort Ultra, and the Xterra all coming up in the next couple months, there is plenty to train for in Jozi.

Very true. And there are also some other lekker trail run events etc coming up.

I do not usually rant – let alone on a blog. But this is disgusting!!! As one of the entered athletes – I thank my lucky stars that I only started looking for a new bike yesterday and only finally got around to investigating a neoprene vest and booties. I am also fortunate enough to be based in Cape Town and to have heard the rumour ……

I am still waiting for an email from the challenge Cape Town notifying the athletes who have entered and a formal apology to each and everyone of them.

I had to notify friends in Australia who are flying out tomorrow for the race and I am sure there are some who have already arrived and are still completely unaware.

I think this is such a bad reflection on South Africa, Cape Town and the Challenge family. I have no sympathy for the reaction I foresee coming from the racing community….. 17 days before a race you train no less than 4 months for you decide it is a good idea to make an announcement in the media – before notifying some unaware athletes…..

I would hang my head in shame and seriously I will be VERY surprise if any athlete would want their entry to rollover. Events get cancelled – due to weather conditions…. Sharks in the water…. Strong winds…. But not due to POOR planning…… next time plan first get authorisation for your plans and then – put on a race…. And ask people to commit time and energy to it…

You would have thought for such a successful organisation with such a good reputation that they would know that you cannot put the cart before the horse…..but sadly

Very disappointed in the Challenge Family and their so called “team”…..

I just received my formal apology.....IS A JOKE!!!!!!

"....and am truly gutted for those who have been hard at training, but believe this is a short term setback in creating the race we all want.

This will be a very special race, in a very unique and complex city and creating this to the safety level we all expect will need additional time. As you know Cape Town is one of the most visited and desirable cities in the world and with that comes complications and layers of considerations which have thrown up some curved balls very late in the day."

Short term set-back....??

If you know it is a complex city - should you not have organised the safety first??? And I guess the other cities where challenges were held did not have any "challenges" with safety....

I would have preferred reading - something along the lines - we unfortunately left the planning too late and due to our poor organisational skills we were unable to get the road closure ...... Seriously Mr. Kunneke I do not give a rats... whether you are gutted... this is DISGUSTING....!!!!

I hope at some point you admit the part you played in this MESS!!!!!!!!!

The chance of a Challenge happening in Cape Town.... with you in charge... I think is SLIM..

Edited by lizbet

Just a note from a mate of mine who was entered.

Perhaps some of you would like to join...

Hey guys with ‘apparently’ (I say apparently because an official entrant I have had no notification!! *&!) challenge CT cancelled, im planning on doing my own ‘day out’…. Cos I can.

Im gonna going to start at Seapoint Pavillion (50m pool), at 7:30am,

• bang out 3kn, in my wetsuit, then jump on my bike

• Seapoint, Chapmans peak, black hill, Cape Point, Slankop-Kommetjie, back over ocean view to Scarborough, back to cape Point, Fishhoek, Chappies, back to seapoint pool (about 150km), - with compulsory espresso shot stop at simonstown

• Then go for a trot, along seapoint promenade to waterfront, through town, over kloof nek, down camps bay drive to camps bay, back along promenade to seapoint pool. (about 25ks)

Just a ‘mother’ day out training in the ‘mother’ city.

Winner gets a kick in the balls.

Feel free to pass on. I think ill put this out as on aopen letter on the PTC website…

Dave

Yours in the triathlon underground movement

www.plumsteadtriathlonclub.co.za

For those who are keen.

Message from a mate of mine who had entered.

Hey guys with ‘apparently’ (I say apparently because an official entrant I have had no notification!! *&!) challenge CT cancelled, im planning on doing my own ‘day out’…. Cos I can.

• Seapoint, Chapmans peak, black hill, Cape Point, Slankop-Kommetjie, back over ocean view to Scarborough, back to cape Point, Fishhoek, Chappies, back to seapoint pool (about 150km), - with compulsory espresso shot stop at simonstown

• Then go for a trot, along seapoint promenade to waterfront, through town, over kloof nek, down camps bay drive to camps bay, back along promenade to seapoint pool. (about 25ks)

Feel free to pass on. I think ill put this out as on aopen letter on the PTC website…

Dave

For those who are keen.

Message from a mate of mine who had entered.

Dave

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love the attitude :thumbup:

Sorry to hear this guys. I haven't done an IM, but have done an Epic, and if someone told me 3 weeks before the race that it's off due to bad planning, I would have committed murder. It's not just the money invested, it's actually the time that you spent training. Time you can never get back. Sad indeed.