Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

:unsure:?

Early am sticky fingers :D

Should have read butt ugly 2011 shirts. Disgusting burgundy coloured, synthetic Polo shirt with big ass writing all over it. Good for wearing around the house, so I suppose it serves its purpose well...

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which finisher shirt? I think that WTC "move" is brilliant and I intend to take advantage of it! Big brand plus :-) Actually for both, seeing as we are getting a free race too for Challenge. So 1 week ago, I was scheduled for Challenge Cape Town. Now, I'm looking at Challenge Barcelona and Ironman Arizona. Obviously still need budgetary approval from the finance committee, but still.. I am not complaining anymore about what has transpired!

Has anyone else been promised a refund and not received it? I have sent through my banking details and Team Challenge has gone quiet. Am I the only one?

Has anyone else been promised a refund and not received it? I have sent through my banking details and Team Challenge has gone quiet. Am I the only one?

yup-waiting patiently

Hi All,

We are processing refunds steadily guys. We had two payment systems to work through and they spoke different languages to each other and we have had to do things manually across the two, as there are more than just the race fee, it is the sub costings and prices like TSA day licences, pasta additional items, separating relay from solo, 4:18:4. In addition in getting monies back where we can given that shirts, etc have all been ordered and getting new dates, technical debrief's with COCT concluded in order to get new dates for 2012 and route conclusions. Last but not least, we might have a title sponsor going forward... So PROMISE we are on the case, please bear with us.

Yours in Tri,

Grant

Hi All,

We are processing refunds steadily guys. We had two payment systems to work through and they spoke different languages to each other and we have had to do things manually across the two, as there are more than just the race fee, it is the sub costings and prices like TSA day licences, pasta additional items, separating relay from solo, 4:18:4. In addition in getting monies back where we can given that shirts, etc have all been ordered and getting new dates, technical debrief's with COCT concluded in order to get new dates for 2012 and route conclusions. Last but not least, we might have a title sponsor going forward... So PROMISE we are on the case, please bear with us.

Yours in Tri,

Grant

Just out of Interest, how do you plan on getting any out of towners to even enter next years race ?

With the cost of accommodation and airfares presumably not being refundable this year, how many will take the risk ?

Edited by Pinetree

Just out of Interest, how do you plan on getting any outof towners to even enter next years race ?

With the cost of accommodation and airfares presumably not being refundable this year, how many will take the risk ?

Hi Domestique,

Ensuring we don't have routes which will change and clarity on the management of them. People want to race in CT that is a given, but up to us to ensure we I've them confidence in the routes agreed. With that up front, should give the athletes the confidence they need. Ultimately, it was an issues of giving parity for age-groupers and pro's, not one different form the other. Alot of people have been able to claim back through travel insurance or failing that through their credit card companies.

All our sponsors have recommitted and in fact got two news ones, so they are see the race as a great additional potential for success, so hope the athletes do aswell. As stated previously, CT is complex but beautiful, it would be dead easy to take a lesser/easier location but know there is something here the athletes will love and we will have to deal with the Class 2011 one by one in winning their confidence back. Rollers have been good, so know it is working. At the end of the day, the athletes need to decide if they want more then just one iron-distance race and brand. Variety is spice of life and given a chance we know the athletes will love what Challenge do.

Rest I am afraid is out of hands except to put on a great race.

Grant

Hi Domestique,

Alot of people have been able to claim back through travel insurance or failing that through their credit card companies.

Grant

Hi Grant

Please be so kind to explain how this works? (the Credit Card option)

I paid for my accomodation/flights 5 months ago already and there is no way my Credit Card Company will carry my costs as far as I can tell......

Unfortunately I did not take out travel insurance as I already booked my bicycle on "Bike Migration" which by the way is only willing to refund me 50% for some reason....... And the rest of my gear would have been hand luggage....

Edited by Garfield2010

Not at this point. Lots of factors to consider.. Let me know your thoughts on dates. But we definitely doing a half with the full in 2012.

I think there is a couple of things to consider:

- Other events (in CT and other Ultra Triathlon events elsewhere in SA)

- Weather trends

- Holidays

"Conventional wisdom" says that the best times to visit Cape Town (i.e. also to have a IM distance triathlon) is September/October and April/May. April/May in my opinion is out due to Ironman SA (less impact as it is certain weekends - 2 Oceans and Easter). You don't want the race to be here over the holidays (won't get the road closures) nor over winter (it #$%^#$%^ rains the whole time - especially weekends!) This leaves September/October maybe November.

There is only one Ultra distance Triathlon in October and that is the 2nd Midlands Ultra (1/2 IM distance). Also, there is Bela Bela, but that is shorter, but it might cannibalize on 1/2IM event.

So I think late October early November (like you had it!) is the best time.

However, if the wind blows like it did this morning I would not get out of bed even if I paid R3000 - even though I did get out of bed this morning and did go for a cycle! :blush:

Hi All,

Yours in Tri,

Grant

Hi Grant

I have mailed you twice in the last week requesting a refund but have not had any response yet. I understand that you have a lot to deal with but an acknowledgement of my mails would have been good. No response makes me nervous......

Thanks

Hi Grant

I have mailed you twice in the last week requesting a refund but have not had any response yet. I understand that you have a lot to deal with but an acknowledgement of my mails would have been good. No response makes me nervous......

Thanks

Hi Texas Ranger,

No need to me. Just inbox is running consistently at 500 emails a day. But will endeavor to as a minimum to responses back to all. Point taken.

thanks

Grant