Swimming after Cycling

Falco

Does anyone have experience with the effect of swimming after hard cycling?

I don't mean swimming training, I mean casual swimming in an unheated outdoor pool to relieve pain and tension in the legs/body.

Does it help with recovery?

Make sure its in a pool as you must be carefull of cramps and drowning. There is a very simple reason why the swim is first up in triathlon.

Falco, I did it as part of my training regimen a few years back. Immediately after my ride (100km +), I went to the gym and did at least 20 laps of "casual" swimming. I had my best season ever that year. So yes, I feel it does help with recovery as well as conditioning.

Swimming is probably the BEST form of active recovery.

Swimming is never ever bad for you, its by far the best sport in terms of overall body workout.

well it should be good for you as it allows the muscles to release the built up lactic acid and also chills the muscles... kinda like having an ice bath. Once you warm up again, the blood flow increase and flushes the muscles with fresh blood.

BUT as Garfield says, be careful of cramping up - if there isn't anybody around it could be hazardous :thumbdown:

Does anyone have experience with the effect of swimming after hard cycling?

I thought it was like after eating. You have to wait two hours?