Heart Rate Zones

Hi Guys

I am currently training on power and have a friend that would like to follow a similar program to mine, but doesn't have a power meter, only a HR monitor.

To calculate my zones when power training I do a 20min max. effort and use the avg. power to calculate my zones. e.g. if my avg. after 20min is 301watts my L4 zone would be 275watts to 310watts. 301watts is more or less my lactate threshold wattage. My L3 zone, below my L4 zone, would be 235watts to 274watts etc.

How can one calculate these zones with a HR monitor?

Thanks in advance

Rather than using a straight percentage of your maximum HR for zones, the best way to calculate your HR zones is to take account of your resting HR as well as your maximum HR. The difference between these two figures is called the Working HR.

Each training zone is a percentage of your Working HR, added to your Resting HR.

For example:

You have a resting HR of 50 bpm

and a Maximum HR of 195 bpm

Your coach told you do a training ride at 65% and you want to know what heart rate you should be keeping to.

It's simple...

Work out the working HR by taking your max HR and minus your resting HR from it. i.e. 195-50 = 145 bpm is your working HR

Work out 65% of your working HR i.e. 145/100 = 1.45 * 65= 94

Now all you do is add your resting again. i.e. 94 + 50= 145 bpm

So, your 65% HR zone is 145 bpm. Work out your 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 80%,90%, 95% and 100% and keep them stored.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

Rather than using a straight percentage of your maximum HR for zones, the best way to calculate your HR zones is to take account of your resting HR as well as your maximum HR. The difference between these two figures is called the Working HR.

Each training zone is a percentage of your Working HR, added to your Resting HR.

For example:

Your coach told you do a training ride at 65% and you want to know what heart rate you should be keeping to.

It's simple...

Work out the working HR by taking your max HR and minus your resting HR from it. i.e. 195-50 = 145 bpm is your working HR

So, your 65% HR zone is 145 bpm. Work out your 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 80%,90%, 95% and 100% and keep them stored.

Great explanation. Some how never asked the question but needeed the answer

If you haven't already, get/read a copy of Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and Andy Coggan.

One of the things they mention is that you should use 95% of the normalised power from a 20min interval to set your levels, the reasoning being that you can push yourself harder in a 20min effort than in the 60min effort that defines threshold power.

They also give a list of roughly equivalent power and heart rate zones. The list is based on functional threshold heart rate which is the average heart rate for a 20min effort (they do not need to take 95% to compensate for the shortness of the effort since there is a lag in heart rate at the beginning). You can see that specific table of power and HR zones here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-levels,-by-andrew-coggan.aspx

For example:

It's simple...

Well done Grootbaas, good advice! Only difference I would suggest is to first calculate your HR index like what KARVONEN has done with his empirical research on HR & exertion - Google Karvonen and you will find the formula. Stick to that as it is scientifically proven.

Hi Guys

I am currently training on power and have a friend that would like to follow a similar program to mine, but doesn't have a power meter, only a HR monitor.

To calculate my zones when power training I do a 20min max. effort and use the avg. power to calculate my zones. e.g. if my avg. after 20min is 301watts my L4 zone would be 275watts to 310watts. 301watts is more or less my lactate threshold wattage. My L3 zone, below my L4 zone, would be 235watts to 274watts etc.

How can one calculate these zones with a HR monitor?

Thanks in advance

Lots have been said and written on Watt vs HR as measurement for exertion! Bear in mind that level of physical conditioning is determined by: 1) Muscle condition; 2) Cardio-vascular condition; and 3) Mind condition. 1 & 2, even if used together does not give you the full picture, however, unfortunately 3 can currently not be "measured" while participating. Always view your conditioning "tracking" aids as a means-to-an-end, no matter which one u use ... Get to know your body as to ensure you get your "perceived level of effort" as close as possible to your "real level of effort"!

Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for all the responses.. especially GrootBaas. I'm definitely going to use the method you showed me.

One last question: Anyone who is familiar with Power Training should know about the L1, L2, L3 up to L6 zones. What would these zones be percentagewise of working HR. e.g. L4 = 80% to 85%

Thanks!

Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for all the responses.. especially GrootBaas. I'm definitely going to use the method you showed me.

One last question: Anyone who is familiar with Power Training should know about the L1, L2, L3 up to L6 zones. What would these zones be percentagewise of working HR. e.g. L4 = 80% to 85%

Thanks!

Check the link I posted earlier. It gives a direct comparison table between FTP zones and FTHR zones. HR doesn't work so well above L4/L5, though due to lag and the shortness of the intervals.

For example:

It's simple...

Very useful tips there.

:thumbup: