Sore knee

I've only been riding for a year, I'm 39 and have stuffed knees from rugby, years ago. Riding, i've had a lot of constant pain in my knees, to the point where I thought I would have to give up. I tried physio, knee braces etc, always pain. I then started using that kinesiologist tape and doing some good stretching before I ride. instantly, no pain at all. When I say no pain, I mean from constant pain every time I rode, to not even a twinge on training or racing. It's remarkable.

As an example, I rode the oxtober mtb last weekend in Queenstown. It was very tough. 20 entered and 5 finished. Not once did I feel any pain on a very demanding course.

I finished mid table and got my first ever podium. Happy days.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@daninat

Did you get a physio to show you how to apply it? I suppose it's only good for 1 ride, so I suppose this could turn out to be an expensive option especially if you use it training.

A physio did show me how, but it is rediculously easy. The tape stays on for 4-5 days. I use one thin strip down my patella where I used to get pain and a thicker strip down the outside of my knee.

Now I'm not a real doctor, but I basically keep my leg straight and put a strip vertically where it hurts.

pain gone, instantly.

Hi,

Taping is something that I've yet to try. It was suggested by someone earlier in this thread. Have been off the bike for 3 weeks now.

I would be keen to know why taping works (as in your case). What did the experts say? Is it not masking the "real" problem. Is taping going to be "a forever thing"?

I'm wandering if taping does not hide muscular imbalances

Edited by capeofstorms

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found a brilliant article on velo news tracking the progress of a cyclist struck by an overuse injury to the knee. (Yes to much mileage can be bad for you!). Check it out. It is hectic!

http://velonews.competitor.com/tag/project-pruitt

As for my own progress. This past week I did 4 smallish rides absolutley pain free at high intensity! Nowhere near the mileage I was doing prior to the injury, but some good progress I think. I plan to build on the mileage by adding about 10% every week. Lets hope I'm on the mend.

So what has changed.....

I can't pin point it to any one particular thing I'm doing. I'm stretching daily (embraced yoga for one!), building leg strength in the gym and taking daily glucosamine supplementation.