New Car giving trouble - what would you do?

Ratty

Gumpole, I actually went as far as asking Toyota what they would trade my car in for.  Unfortunately they would only offer me R40000 less than the car is worth 2nd hand!  I was prepared to lose a bit of money, but not that much.

Thanks slick, will definitely try that website. 

Fester, they won't give me a new car because I've done +- 2000km's on mine, tried that one already.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

Ok' date=' I know this is a cycling forum, but i'm really annoyed and need some advice.

I bought a brand new Peugeot 207 2 months ago.  Since then it has been giving me problems including not starting, cutting out when I'm at a robot or in traffic (my clutch is in at the time) and cutting out the moment I start reversing.

I've so far taken the car in twice for them to attempt to fix it and still its not working.  The first time they just changed some of the computer settings, it didn't help.  The 2nd time they upgraded the software and cleaned the throttle.  Now I know I'm a girl, but can someone please explain why this would be necessary on a car less than 2 months old? 

Now we spoke to the branch manager and he is asking that I bring it in a 3rd time for them to try fix it.  I don't see the point of this.  Its wastes my time and energy.

What I need to know is what are the next possible actions I can take? 

P.S  5 years ago I had a similar situation where I took my old fiesta into the garage 6 times in 2 months with no success.  I eventually just traded it in (on a good day when it was actually working) so some poor sucker ended up with the problem which I still feel guilty about.
[/quote']

I worked in the industry for 5 years and I can 1st off tell you that unfotunately the 207 is a problem car, electrics are up to sh*t and with everything running off a computer it messes with all your diagnostics.

BUT you do a have 30 day return policy on any car that is set up with your finance house incase of sh*t like this but the salespeople will never tell you cause they lose comm off the deal if it is returned. I know you say you have had it 2 months but if the problems started in the 1st month of ownership you can still use this policy as there is proof you had problems. Contact your finance house and let them know what is going on and tell them you dont want the car anymore cause of the problems you are having. Get the car settled and go buy another make somewhere else.

Shees' date=' what did you do to p*ss him off?

What was wrong with the Nissan?
[/quote'] .

I wasn't even the customer, seems he was upset and was swearing at everybody, I spoke to Management they say he was like that all day and I must understand, the reception girls are even scared of him,,,

I told the branch I will not accept this, He phoned me today and appologised, but I still feel it's not really acceptable to be like that..

If you can't get them to replace the car, MAKE them sort it out. Do NOT give up. When I bought my 2nd hand car as a Mastercar, I took it back to the dealership 14 times in 3 months. I eventually gave up, which was wrong, cause there was still 1 problem that wasn't taken care of. Fight the ******* all the way - especially if it's a new car. Get head office involved, get the DP involved and get the Workshop manager involved. Oh, and since your car is new, insist on a courtesy vehicle. If they don't want to give you one, cause a scene!

Guest colonel

Ratty:

Where did you sign your bank contracts? On their premises or did they come to you? That also makes a huge difference.

colonel, thanks.  I will look into that as soon as I get home today.  I just wish I had asked around a bit more before buying the car. 

Demand a new car!  There was nothing wrong with the money you paid them with' date=' why settle for a faulty product?[/quote']

ClapClap

That is the best solution. May require loud volume and considerable quantities of spittle, but that is the only solution you should accept. I assume the car is under finance - in which case it actually belongs to the bank - their surety is tied up in the car - get them involved.

Clap

I bought a brand new Peugeot 207 2 months ago

There's your problem right there... Apparently the french (and italian) cars have TERRIBLE reputations in SA. They're fine when they work, but as soon as you have problems you have BIG problems. I had an Alfa Romeo 147 2l Selespeed. 2 years of sh*t - eventually i managed to find some dealer to take it off my hands for 1/3 of what i paid for it....

I saw a Nirvana the other morning with a sticker on the back "Don't buy this sh!t, buy a Toyota"

Guest colonel

If you signed on your own premises you could be 85% scottfree now and returnt he car. Get hold of your finance company they will also put pressure on the dealership. All I can say is do not give up on this they will give in they have to as a dealership go through certain protocols to sort it out before they do the new car thing. Trust me on this.

Why is it that in just about any industry when you have problems you take the product back and get it replaced or get your money back, but in the car industry they just shrug their shoulders.

They get away with freakin murder!

Mintsauce, trust me I'm not going to let them get away with it.  I don't care if it comes down to me having to spend money to take them to court.  I'll do whatever I can to make sure in the end I have a reliable car that I'm happy with.