Best HR monitor for stats geek (Current Suunto owner)

twiga

like the guy pictured doing an endo in your brochure. :lol:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/Capture.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi YUMEYA

To measure cadence you will need to purchase a separate ANT+ Cadence sensor, there are several different types to choose from different manufacturers.

If you choose one that has the ANT+ Speed and Cadence profile, then you can use the Motion M01-1 to record data on an indoor trainer.

We allow you to connect up to 4 ANT+ devices. So you can connect HR, Cadence, Power and leave the thrid channel free for an extra sensor, or use the 4 channels to connect to 4 HR sensors.

The Motion M01-1 contains a built-in accelerometer. We use this accelerometer to measure rhythmic movements such as your running stride when the device is worn on your arm, or your paddle cadence if the device is mounted on the deck of a canoe. If you really wanted to, you could actually mount it to your leg and record cadence in that way, obviously this is not the recommended way to do so.

The accelerometer will measure G-Force and Tilt angles of the bike as well. You can then use the G-Force data to determine the exact point at which you braked for corner, as an example.

In the video's I posted earlier, the Motor racing guys used this feature to help improve their lap times.

Here is an example video of our device recording an MTB ride at the Dual Slalom course at Nitida, arranged by Tygerberg MTB club.

like the guy pictured doing an endo in your brochure. :lol:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/Capture.png

Yes, that is Stefan Senekal riding with Team Falke. The guys have been using our device for quite some time now.

He was doing really well until one of the guys in front stopped suddenly and he ended up going into the back of the stationary rider. We had the GoPro camera on Johannes Scribante who was also using our device.

What you see there is the ability of the Motion Experience Centre software to synchronise your video footage with your data overlaid on top. It allows you to run the video back in slow motion as well to analyse your data along certain sections of a recorded activity.

So you can, for example, see how fast you went through a particular section of a course and watch the video with the data on top to prove it!

Thanks Mobii!

That answers every question I could throw at you. :)

Definitely going to shop one.

Is there a preferred brand/make/model cadence sensor that works well with the Mobii?

Are there any retail outlets stocking the mobii?

Edited by YUMEYA

Thanks Mobii!

That answers every question I could throw at you. :)

Definitely going to shop one.

Is there a preferred brand/make/model cadence sensor that works well with the Mobii?

Are there any retail outlets stocking the mobii?

Hi Yumeya

Currently we stock our products via our website at www.mobii.com, after an order is placed the units are couriered out.

We are still in the process of having retailers stock our units.

In terms of which Speed/Cadence sensor would suitable, you could try a Garmin ANT+ Speed/Cadence sensor. We have a number of customers using these at the moment and the added benefit is that you can have speed & distance recorded when training indoors.

If you are in Cape Town, you are more than welcome to visit our office/mini-factory and see the unit in action.

We can also help you get started and set up Action-Trigger sets, which allows you to program the device with some advanced features.

Would like to pop in. Where are you guys?

PS. Great to see you guys directly involved answering q's.

We are in the Northern Suburbs in the Tygervalley area.

Unit 6 Bella Rosa Mini-Factories

30 Bella Rosa rd

Rosenpark

Here are some pics of our setup taken a few months back http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.227668153916018.75198.112875998728568&type=3

We pretty much do everything under one roof, from electronic design and assembly to injection moulding the plastic parts and software development.

If you call beforehand, then we can arrange that one of us is available to give you a full run down on the capabilities of the product and software. (021) 914 6982

We have spent the last few months launching the unit and you will be hearing more and more about us, I am pretty sure of that. There is also a gear review that came out in the magazine "Modern Athlete" this month.

Shot! Will be out of town the rest of the week. Will be in the area on Monday - will phone to arrange time. Thanks for the effort.

Not at present, (using a Polar FT80), but I had the good fortune to be able to test 1 for a few weeks.

The Mobii can connect to any other device you wish to use as a cadence sensor (or HR strap for that matter). So, if you are using Polar (like I am) the Mobii will detect the Polar cadence device and report back to the Mobii on you're bike...pretty cool hey ? biggrin.gif

Sorry dude but it won't collect data from any Polar device. Polar uses a propriety communication method whereas most other companies, such as Mobii use ANT+. I believe that polar will not adopt ANT + as they see the future in Low Power Blue Tooth (which apparently uses a fraction of the current power needs) and their devices are setup to easily adopt this technology whereas ANT+ devices are not.

Sorry dude but it won't collect data from any Polar device. Polar uses a propriety communication method whereas most other companies, such as Mobii use ANT+. I believe that polar will not adopt ANT + as they see the future in Low Power Blue Tooth (which apparently uses a fraction of the current power needs) and their devices are setup to easily adopt this technology whereas ANT+ devices are not.

Hi Ricochet_rabbit

We chose to go the route of joining the ANT+ Alliance and developing the Motion M01-1 to be ANT+ enabled for a number of different reasons. The main benefit of using ANT+ is the low battery power consumption and the ability to use sensors from a multitude of 3rd party manufacturers providing customers with greater choice in terms of what kind of sensors they would like to use. Also, if you already have ANT+ enabled equipment form another manufacturer, then it means you don't have to buy duplicate pieces of the same equipment types.

ANT+ device profiles are exanding rapidly and these profiles are continuously supported by the Motion M01-1 in the form of updated firmware which is released on a regular basis.

We also use ANT+ for proprietry communication with sensors which do not fall into ANT+ device specific profiles. For example, we used it recently during the Dual Slalom MTB race arranged by the Tygerberg MTB club to record accurate lap timing using our Virtual Intersects system and broadcast it live to a computer as each rider crossed the finish line.

Can't comment on Sunto but I've had a garmin (which I bust) - loved it. Then I tried the polar rs800cx....doesn't compare to the garmin in most areas. Although the garmin software is not great, garmin + sportstracks is awesome for deep analysis. The data the comes from the garmin is also fairly open so can be read by many apps....Polar software is ok, but in my opinion isn't nearly as good as sportstracks. Polar is very closed. Also, the polar service in SA is an absolute shocker whereas garmin is really on the ball (I've had the experience of getting both a garmin edge 305 and the polar rs800cx both repaired under warranty before). I'm now looking at getting a garmin unit again and chucking the polar.

If you are in Cape Town, you are more than welcome to visit our office/mini-factory and see the unit in action.

We can also help you get started and set up Action-Trigger sets, which allows you to program the device with some advanced features.

That will be super. :thumbup:I will be taking you up on that and if possible the factory tour.

I will let you know when I can come by.

have you considered power meaters over only HRT training? what are your goals beyond just ridding and i little running?

There is another option - buy a bluetooth HR strap and then use something like Endondo on your phone (I've got the android version, I'm assuming that they have versions for Apple / BB.)

Is awesome software in that it does so much automatically for you - maps your route onto clear nice looking maps (probably google maps) with KM points marked. Tells you which was your fastest and slowest km's. Can tell you what your best 1km, 2km, 5km, 10km, hour, etc etc was. You can add routes to the website and download them to your phone etc.

I use polar / polar protrainer software to keep track of my training and think that it is the best out there. Garmin Forerunners? Battery life is too short for me. What if you do Sani2C / Jhb@C etc and you've got a couple hrs battery life? Finished on the first day.

I don't know if it does cadence - and the only problem if you are using it for training is that you need to be able to see the phone to see yr heart rate - so would ideally need a bike mounting or something for it.