Best HR monitor for stats geek (Current Suunto owner)

twiga

I currently have a Suunto t4c HR monitor that I have been using for about 3 years.

So far the most frustrating thing about this unit is the Movescount.com web service. I find the reporting features of this service a bit lacking. So on Sunday my movestick (the device used to download training data from the watch) gave up the ghost and now I am considering replacing all my kit.

What is very important to me is the statistics and reporting features provided by the accompanying software (or on-line service), in this regard, the Suunto web service was very frustrating to use (this could also be a limiting factor of the t4c). I had a look at a mate's Garmin cycling computer and the software that came with the thing is very detailed and seems to be what I am looking for.

I do the occasional trail run, so I think a cycling computer may not be the best option for me.

Do I stick with Suunto and get a t6? Are they any better? Does it included propper software? The advantage of staying with Suunto is that I can re-use my existing PODs, but I'm still stuck with the movescount service.

I could go Garmin, would need to replace all sensors, and I would essentially need two devices then? One for cycling and the other for running?

What about Polars? They are fugly as hell (and seem quite expensive), any opinions?

Any pointers, tips will be very much appreciated.

-twiga

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my Garmin Forerunner 305 based on this review. The forerunner 305 has been superseded by newer models, I think the 410 XT is the latest. DC Rainmaker has some more reviews, which are excellent. Have a look and decide for yourself.

I use the sporttracks 3.0 software, later versions you have to pay for, but its got all the features you need. Again DC rainmaker has a review on software as well. For me, I must be able to download the data to my pc and not a website. But read for yourself and then decide.

Why not look at a Garmin and then use SportTracks as a tool to analyse performance. The standard Garmin Training Centre sucks.

I bought my Garmin Forerunner 305 based on this review.

I see a new Forerunner, the 910XT is coming out soon. I think that is the one I should go for, coupled with the sportstrack software mentioned in another reply. The 910XT still can't record heartrate underwater like the suunto with memory belt though.

Thanks!

Garmin 310 xt is a significant improvement imo on their previous watch hrm. Good battery life and all the stats you could want.

I just checked out the Forerunner 910XT, I think I need to get one! :thumbup: If only for the additional swimming features!

But I currently have the 310XT, and so far I've enjoyed using it. I've used it on both the bike and running/hiking. And haven't had any issues with software and analizing data.

@ NickGT

Are you using a mobii?

how does it record your cadence?

Not at present, (using a Polar FT80), but I had the good fortune to be able to test 1 for a few weeks.

The Mobii can connect to any other device you wish to use as a cadence sensor (or HR strap for that matter). So, if you are using Polar (like I am) the Mobii will detect the Polar cadence device and report back to the Mobii on you're bike...pretty cool hey ? biggrin.gif

Not at present, (using a Polar FT80), but I had the good fortune to be able to test 1 for a few weeks.

The Mobii can connect to any other device you wish to use as a cadence sensor (or HR strap for that matter). So, if you are using Polar (like I am) the Mobii will detect the Polar cadence device and report back to the Mobii on you're bike...pretty cool hey ? biggrin.gif

that is very cool.

I do not have a cendence sensor for any device.

does mobii have a cadence sensor of its own, If so does it work better than say using a Polar Cadence sensor?

I am very interested in getting a mobii that is why all the questions.

Thanks

Edited by YUMEYA

Why not look at a Garmin and then use SportTracks as a tool to analyse performance. The standard Garmin Training Centre sucks.

What Thug said, get a garmin device to capture the data and sporttracks 3 to analyze, doesn't get much better. Also some of the plugins for sporttracks are awesome...highscore, trails and overlay are some of my fav's

The garmin connect site loses it's flavour very quickly, don't even bother

that is very cool.

does mobii have a cadence sensor of its own, If so does it work better than say using a Polar Cadence sensor?

Thanks

Just got off the phone now with Roderick at Mobii now who was extremely helpful in answering all my questions.

Why not give him a call on

+27 (0)21 914 6982

You can tell him that you "spoke" to Nick on the Hub as I told him I needed some advice as Yumena was wanting to know :)

If I had known about the Mobii before buying my current Polar I would have bought that instead (sigh)

that is very cool.

Thanks

Just got off the phone now with Roderick at Mobii now who was extremely helpful in answering all my questions.

Why not give him a call on

+27 (0)21 914 6982

You can tell him that you "spoke" to Nick on the Hub as I told him I needed some advice as Yumena was wanting to know :)

If I had known about the Mobii before buying my current Polar I would have bought that instead (sigh)

Hi Everyone

The Motion M01-1 from Mobii will connect to ANT+ Sport accessories.

ANT+ Sport is an alliance of manufacturers that produce sensor accessories such as Heart Rate monitors, Power meters, cadence sensors, etc. As we are a manufacturer on the alliance, we have the device profiles for ANT+ Sport equipment loaded on our Motion M01-1 GPS device. As new profiles and equipment items become available, these are available as free firmware updates to be able to be forward compatible with new items as they are launched.

For those who would like a download a brochure on what our device is capable of, you can download that here http://www.mobii.com/brochure/Mobii_Brochure.pdf

If you would like to see what the software looks like, then here are two examples videos which demonstrate some of its capabilities.

and

There are videos on the Youtube section of our facebook site http://facebook.mobii.com

If you have any questions feel free to post them here.

Thanks Nick for the effort.. You gotta love the hub :thumbup:

@ Mobii

If I purchase a mobii would I have to purchase a cadence sensor separately?

I cant see how the built in accelerometer will be of any use recording cadence if the mobii were mounted on my bike, please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks