Bike setup / cycling shoes

My husband was in a motorbike accident a few years back. This left him with his right leg 30mm shorter than the left. He started cycling earlier this year.

Due to his bike setup being done on the shorter leg the left leg bends more than it should when pedaling. The people that build up his shoes cannot build up cycling shoes.

I do not want him to hurt the other leg as it already has problems with the ligaments in the knee.

ANY IDEAS?

Speedplay makes shims to fit between cleat and shoe. You then set the bike for the longest leg.

http://www.speedplay.com/images/shim.jpg

My husband was in a motorbike accident a few years back. This left him with his right leg 30mm shorter than the left. He started cycling earlier this year.

Due to his bike setup being done on the shorter leg the left leg bends more than it should when pedaling. The people that build up his shoes cannot build up cycling shoes.

I do not want him to hurt the other leg as it already has problems with the ligaments in the knee.

ANY IDEAS?

What shoes and pedals is he riding with?

Has he been for a professional set up? Sure someone like Jeroen Swart at Sports Science in Cape Town can help him out?

What shoes and pedals is he riding with?

Didn't know if he would like cycling so he purchased some cheap olympic mountainbike shoes. I do not know about the pedals.

Do not want to change before we know how to fix the problem. Then he will buy a decent pair of shoes.

Has he been for a professional set up? Sure someone like Jeroen Swart at Sports Science in Cape Town can help him out?

Bike shop did the setup when bike was purchased. Cape Town's a little far to visit for set up. We are in Bloem.

Didn't know if he would like cycling so he purchased some cheap olympic mountainbike shoes. I do not know about the pedals.

Do not want to change before we know how to fix the problem. Then he will buy a decent pair of shoes.

If he was to go for Look pedals and cleats then he would be able to get shims in 1 and 2 mm thickness from his lbs.He would just need a longer screw.

If he was to go for Look pedals and cleats then he would be able to get shims in 1 and 2 mm thickness from his lbs.He would just need a longer screw.

Isn't 30mm a bit much to fix with shims?

ANY IDEAS?

Do some research on Cyclingnews.com website under Fitness Q&A, look for replies from Steve Hogg. If you dont find a suitable answer then send in a question to the panel.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tag/fitness

Email questions to:

fitness@cyclingnews.com.

You will get a reply and most likely from Steve Hogg who is a bit of a legend in Oz when it comes to Bike fit issues. I've dealt with him before and he really is good and prepared to offer good advice for free.

You can go and visit his website to get an idea of what he does.

www.stevehoggbikefitting.com

I have a similiar difference in my legs due to polio.

I had my bike set up for the shorter leg and found that the longer leg cramped a lot. So moved seatpost up 1cm.

Been riding with this setup since 2000 with no problems.I have no shims or other adjustments to my shoes or cleats. My knees are still good.

How about diff crank arms?

175mm on the good leg - 172.5 on the other - could sort out the diff with shims or even 175/170 if needed.

Worth a try I guess?