Steerer length for large frame

DubbelBuys

Hi hubbers,

I've recently fitted a Rockshox Reba RLT to my Merida Matts TFS 300 which is a medium. I know the longer a steerer is the more value it has whenever you want to re-sell, right?

I've only cut off like 4cm from the original length which is 265mm. Atm. it's setup with headset, spacers, stem & spacer again.

Now the question is how long is the steerer in most cases when it's cut for a large frame?

I don't like the setup as it is now, but I think I've found the right height for my riding & I want to slash off as much as possible to minimise the spacing on top & not too much so that I lose too much value.

Thanx

JB

Not really, mate...

I'd cut the steerer to my specs, so that it fits the bike. I wouldn't cut it to take into consideration possible resale value or if it's going to fit a large frame... Resale values aren't that great on forks anyway. Plus, there's a safety issue if you leave too much "stack" at the top, above the stem.

Cut it to fit you, not somebody else, is what I'm trying to say. You will always find a buyer, but it might take a bit longer.

My 2C. Always allow for a spacer or two, say 5mm, above the stem. Not only for resale but if you ever change the headset you can fit one with a different stack height. May sound iffy but often it is cheaper to replace a headset than the bearings. Also the clamp area on the stem can vary from one to another so rather be safe than sorry.

Thanx all for your inputs.

I'll cut it to size that fits me, but will leave just a little for headset / spacer change.