Which is faster Disc Rear Wheel or Zipp 808

Joobs

I have the option of either getting a Zipp Disc Rear wheel or Rear 808 firecrest. I know that the Disc wheel should be faster. But how much??

Any advice would be great.

The nice thing with a set of 808 is that i can use that on the road bike also.

Joobs

For what racing... I'm no expert, but if you have a very hilly terrain, you may be faster with the lighter 808.

I read a article a few weeks back where,a Zipp disc was tested against the 808 fire crest.Disc was only 11 seconds faster than the 808,over a 40 km flat route.

I think that the 808 will be a better all round wheel for triathlons but if it's for TT only then get the disc.

Hey guys.

Sorry I meant to say that I do both TT and road races.

And the thing with a set of 808 is that I can use them in road races as well. So I will get more use out of the 808's because there are not that many TT's in SA.

So it looks like the best option is the set of Zipp 808 firecrest.

If you had a choice which would you choose?

Non technical-disc!! Technical,climbs and plenty corners-808! You need power to keep a disc's momentum going,a 808 accelorates a little easier...... My choice-Mavic disc rear,808 front!!

Thanks guys. I was chatting to another friend who also says that the new 808's are just as fast the disc. So I am going to go with the set of 808's

pure TT: Disk, even in cross winds. Only when the wind is so strong that you can't control the bike are other options better. None are better than Zipp, even non-sponsored riders use them in the TDF.

In my serious TT days, I had a full 808 set and a 900 disk, but never once used the 808 rear in a TT. I always went with the 808 front and disk in the back. I used the 808s in a lot of road races, though.

The only time I would go for 808s in a TT is if there is a lot of climbing, in which case I would go for a standard road bike with clip-ons and 808s.

808s are fantastic wheels, I loved mine, in the ideal world you would have both. I suppose it depends what you are trying to achieve - I have won a TT with a 3 second margin, where any small compromise would have cost me the win. But if the podium is not your goal, a small time difference between 808s and a disk won't bother you, and the 808s would be the most practical choice.

Edited by Christie

Cool thanks for the advice Christie. I mostly do triathlons, and in the past I did have a disc wheel but it wasn't the zipp disc wheel. So I would think. Then with the new 808's I would be just as quick with another slightly lower brand or lower spec disc wheel.

I race age groupers in the triathlon's and my goal is always to podium. And as you say it all depends on the course as some of the courses do have loads of corners and some do have hills. Also I think that if I had to just get that slightly more aero then with the 808's it would be very similar to the disc wheel.