Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4

wesley_r

Currently running Maxxis High Roller 2.5 UST front and Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST rear (tubeless setup) on a Commencal Meta 5.5 for trail / all mountain riding.

Thinking of changing the front as the High Roller is lank heavy and a little overkill. Can't find what I want right now (another UST Nevegal or an Excavator) so thinking of the 2.4 Conti Mtn. King "Protection" version. It's expensive, but seems crazy light.

Worth the money in your opinion?

What about the Minion? Less RR than the High Roller AFAIK but grips like a muddafugga. They're heavy, but you can get them cheep cheep @ action cycles... And they look sorta like a rocked out Nevegal.

Trying to avoid another heavy tyre. Selling my 2 used High Rollers though for R300 if you want mr mayhem ;) :thumbup:

Capricorn's already offered me his partially used pair thanks, Mr Squirrel! I've got my HR on the back and the Minion on the front.

You doing Urban Assault?

nope, I'm doing the Fair Cape Point Break instead. 30km XC ride. Hence the urgency to get rid of that monster attached to my front rim :P

• 5 months later...

Bumping this...

Got the Mountain King II 2.4 Protection and so far so good. It's a moerofa light tyre, and the protection sidewall has held up well so far. Grip seems pretty good. So far it seems worth the money.

Now it's time to dump the Nevegal that's on the rear.

SO...

Do I move the Mountain King II to the back and put something meatier on the front?

OR

Do I put another 2.4 Mountatin King II 2.4 on the rear?

OR

Do I put something like a Conti X-King on the rear, and if so do I stick to 2.4 or go for 2.2?

(this is for general trail / AM riding, on wide-ass rims)

Edited by the_wes

X-king 2.2 on the rear, or anything 2.2 on the rear, otherwise your bike will look and feel like a tractor.

Why dont you go race-king at the rear, mountain king at the front, then your sorted!!!

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/Race%20King/img/raceking_uv,property=original.png

Edited by TheV

• 1 month later...

Went with another Mountain King II Protection 2.4... will see how it holds up ;)

Wes, what's up with the sudden replies? You only got all together now?

By the way, I'm also waiting on 2x mountain king 2's for my new Easton Heaven wheel set. Should be here on monday.

SO...

Do I move the Mountain King II to the back and put something meatier on the front?

What do you mean with meatier? More or less aggressive thread pattern?

Edited by Tankman

Why dont you go race-king at the rear, mountain king at the front, then your sorted!!!

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/Race%20King/img/raceking_uv,property=original.png

@Wes, when your MKII's wear out and you're due for a replacement... if you want to go meatier on the frnt again, you could try these:

Continental Rubber Queen 2.4

http://twentynineinches.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/16_Conti-rubber-queen.jpg

Or... of you want to lighten up, do as Zac.A suggested... MKII front, X-king rear.

And as for me... I just bought 2 new Minion DHF 2.7's for my DH bike... Hells yeah!

Wes, what's up with the sudden replies? You only got all together now?

By the way, I'm also waiting on 2x mountain king 2's for my new Easton Heaven wheel set. Should be here on monday.

hehe yeah :P what did you go for, 2.4s?