chronic disc degeneration

Super J

I'm in pretty much the same boat as Super J. I'm 31, suffered with serious back pain for over a year, saw the chiro during that period and started to come right, then rode Joberg2c and by day 4 was in agony, managed the pain with Genpayne (myprodol generic) used it sensibly (if thats possible) and did no permanent damage.

Saw a Neuro suregeon about 2 months back and have been diagnosed with DDD, L4 and L5. Neuro refuses to operate, also said if I can still ride a bike I am not in enough pain to warrant an op and am also to young, good chance I won't ride again after an op, I have started an intensive 3 month biokineticist program so lets see how that goes. i am still seeing the chiro as i find that helps a lot with the pain. I changed my bed to a Simmons (firm) and I've found that made a helluva difference (cost R10k though).

I am riding Joberg2C again next year again so need to sort this asap, I have been off the bike for 4 weeks while i try to sort out the worst of the pain, hope to get on the mtb (dual) this weekend (will stick to the road for a while though, find off road is definitely far more painful)

I am 39,roadie and been doing this great sport since school,so no ways am I gonna stop! I must admit that I've also found that sleeeping on my back on a thin matress on the floor also helps..... No pain when I wake up!

Hi Super J

I had a Back operation - laminectomy - Disc degeneration effectively like a slipped disc. You need to go and see a neurosurgeon - he will most probably advice you to go for a MRI. They then remove the area that is puttin pressure on the nerves. You will most probably be off for 4 wks.

After that you will need to do plenty of core strength training.

It is not worth it to continue cycling for now. You are going to end up damaging your nerves - like I did because I was stuborn - strong cyclist who was fit and did not want to loose my fitness.

The good news is (I am 44) 3 years after operation, have no problem cycling

PM me if you want more details.

A friend of me had the procedure done about 3wks ago, and he is planning to do Argus.

Hi

What worked for me was not all the core strength work, but getting my hamstrings more flexable.

Suffered for years, & after x-rays I knew what it was but the only real relief I got was when I had a stretching program going, mainly focused on my hamstrings.

I thought it was quite strange as that was one of the muscles that never really bothered me, well not directly.

Hard riding & the pulling effect was transfered to my spine while in the bent over position on the bike through my hamstrings without me knowing it.

Hamstring massages also helped to relax the muscles & the automatic pull effect they had on my back while doing the normal day to day things.

Just some free advice of what worked for me, use it, don't use it.

Also watch the diet, as I found it can add to joint stiffness.

Cheers