Rear Tire Choice

ALLMTB

Good day Hubbers

The time has come to replace my rear tire on my MTB and I need some help deciding what to go for next.

I am looking for a tire that will work well specifically as a rear tire, meaning I am not too worried about cornering grip so much etc. It just needs to climb well on steep and tehcnical climbs.

I am busy doing a tubeless convertion so I guess a UST tire would be best, which other non UST tires can be used with sealant?

Any feedback and opinions would be great thanx!

Do yourself a favour, don't use a non-UST tyre and do a ghetto conversion - because one day you will ride round a corner at speed and the tire will slip off the rim and you will look quite funny with no front teeth.

Another warning, UST tires are tight, which sometimes means if your rims are not UST friendly you will not be able to get the tyre on.

recently went tubeless and on the recommendation of a few individuals on here, I went conti X-king 2.2 in the front and Race-king 2.2 for the rear.

I took the "protection" model and have yet to have a flat.

Excellent cornering and a good rolling tyres.

I have not looked back.

Good day Hubbers

The time has come to replace my rear tire on my MTB and I need some help deciding what to go for next.

I am looking for a tire that will work well specifically as a rear tire, meaning I am not too worried about cornering grip so much etc. It just needs to climb well on steep and tehcnical climbs.

I am busy doing a tubeless convertion so I guess a UST tire would be best, which other non UST tires can be used with sealant?

Any feedback and opinions would be great thanx!

Don't look any further----Maxxis Crossmark(UST) !!!

Thanx for the feedback.

Seems like the Geax, Conti's and Maxxis tires mentioned here do not have such an aggressive tread patern.

How do they climb and handle in the wet? With the summers rains coming up soon here in Gauteng, some of the rides might get wet and muddy.

Do yourself a favour, don't use a non-UST tyre and do a ghetto conversion - because one day you will ride round a corner at speed and the tire will slip off the rim and you will look quite funny with no front teeth.

Another warning, UST tires are tight, which sometimes means if your rims are not UST friendly you will not be able to get the tyre on.

Hell! Are you serious? I put on my contis the other day and my LBS did not mention that risk.

Do you think that even with a decent brand it would do the same?

Thanx for the feedback.

Seems like the Geax, Conti's and Maxxis tires mentioned here do not have such an aggressive tread patern.

How do they climb and handle in the wet? With the summers rains coming up soon here in Gauteng, some of the rides might get wet and muddy.

So far so good. Changed my ride completely.

Haven't been able to test too much wet, but what I have found is the handling is cornering feels a lot better at speed.

For wet riding: Geax Barro Mountain or even the Conti XKing on the rear. Remember that you will have to compromise. No tyre gives you perfect riding on every type of terrain or conditions.

Thanx for the feedback.

If you want a tyre for wet and rainy days then buy a tyre for that. The GEAX is not bad in the wet but it was not meant to be a mud shedding tyre. Most of the races in GP are, well, dry and dusty so I use a tyre for that.

I have found my happy medium:

GEAX SUGUARO REAR.

GEAX BARRO Mountain FRONT.

Hey, that was my favourite 26er combo! Barro Mountain not available in 29er though :(

been running a race king on the rear for close to a year now. Had decent grip. did the Sani2c with it, and had no issues.

will be looking at the X-king for the next tyre (the race king really is on it's last legs)

Wife had Kenda's fitted recently, (not sure which one) had quite a knobbly pattern, thus it will disperse of mud a lot better in my opinion.

Hell! Are you serious? I put on my contis the other day and my LBS did not mention that risk.

Do you think that even with a decent brand it would do the same?

Not sure who your bike shop is mate, but certain shops will make you sign a waiver, that WHEN, (notice the word IF is left out here :) ) you're tyre lets go and you see your ass you were perfectly aware of the risks.

UST tyres have a UST specific bead that locks into the wheel normal folded bead tyres dont, I even experimented with the Conti-RS versions, which is a UST bead on a normal foldable tyre and even that had its flaws.

And remember a ghetto conversion will work fine ..... till it doesnt and then your @#$#@ed.

been running a race king on the rear for close to a year now. Had decent grip. did the Sani2c with it, and had no issues.

will be looking at the X-king for the next tyre (the race king really is on it's last legs)

Wife had Kenda's fitted recently, (not sure which one) had quite a knobbly pattern, thus it will disperse of mud a lot better in my opinion.

If its not clay mud, but just normal mud then a X-king works really well, (then again nothing works well in clay mud) oodles of grip on most conditions with the x-king and you can use them front and rear.

Not sure who your bike shop is mate, but certain shops will make you sign a waiver, that WHEN, (notice the word IF is left out here :) ) you're tyre lets go and you see your ass you were perfectly aware of the risks.

UST tyres have a UST specific bead that locks into the wheel normal folded bead tyres dont, I even experimented with the Conti-RS versions, which is a UST bead on a normal foldable tyre and even that had its flaws.

And remember a ghetto conversion will work fine ..... till it doesnt and then your @#$#@ed.

:( :( :(