Using non-ust tyres for tubeless

Smolly

Hi all,

A fellow hubber highlighted the risk of non ust tyres failing when used as tubeless earlier today and I need more info on the topic.

I recently fitted a X king protection and a Race king protection(both non Ust) on my mtb, so now what?

Must I k@k myself at the risk of a failure at speed?

I spent a fair amount on the tyres and conversion,now I'm a little #*ssed at my LBS.

Please assist!

Personal experience of using UST tyres on UST rims and non-UST tyres on non-ust rims for a tubeless conversion.

Non-Ust

Uses a lot more sealant, almost impossible to pump from flat without a compressor or bomb - even bombs sometimes require a second shot, leaks air during the week, sidewalls rip easily which happened on the first ride, also had a seperate random loss of air (burping) resulting in having to put in a tube, had a friend whose tire came off the rim.

UST - no real problems, the thicker sidewalls have come in useful more than once. Expensive.

"What are your thoughts on my combo?"

I wouldn't know and neither would most people as there are 100's of rims and 100's of tyres - with most people changing tyres once a year. Then there are different riders and riding conditions.

Manufacturers sometimes list compatables tyres for their rims (compatable for tubeless).

Try and look for that or contact Mavic and ask them.

If you are going to stick with them maybe just overinflate them.

Personal experience of using UST tyres on UST rims and non-UST tyres on non-ust rims for a tubeless conversion.

Non-Ust

Uses a lot more sealant, almost impossible to pump from flat without a compressor or bomb - even bombs sometimes require a second shot, leaks air during the week, sidewalls rip easily which happened on the first ride, also had a seperate random loss of air (burping) resulting in having to put in a tube, had a friend whose tire came off the rim.

UST - no real problems, the thicker sidewalls have come in useful more than once. Expensive.

The tyres were more expensive that the UST version, but wanted the extra layer for the sidewalls.

So no risk of that. So will have to take my chances for now, not willing to drop another grand on tyres yet!

I bought myself some Maxxis Crossmarks, the non-ust ones to replace my LUST pair that were due for replacement. Asked the guy who sold them to me what the difference was and he said purely a thinner side wall, but much lighter. Had them on for about 3 months when I raced at Induna... got to some high speeds on a downhill and my front tyre burped/ripped right off the wheel. Needless to say I bailed, properly! Won't make that mistake again!

Things are looking a bit bleak! Don't want a new set of teeth! I'm rather happy with the current ones!

Had a Conti Vertical 2.35 Protection non UST , road it tubed for about 6-8months so it was worn, then converted it to tubeless on a Sun Ringle rim and road it for another 6months until it was fakked without a single issue. Well apart from having to just top up the air every now and again.

Seriously, as long you are not running stupidly low pressures and are not bombing fire roads at 60km's hour (which you shouldn't, you should be on the single track next to the road - come to Tokia and you will see what I mean...) you will be fine.

It will give you a lighter tire / tubeless conversion vs the LUST. You have to keep the pressures a little higher to stop burping (like 5-10PSi so it isn't that much).

I have also converted WTB non LUST tires to tubeless with great success. Only issue was a sharp rock piecing the tire after about 8 months of wear and the hole wouldn't seal properly. Nothing that a gator or plug can't sort out.

LUST tires are pretty thick which makes seating them easy and they hold shape well so you can run lower pressures without to much damage. Non LUST tires are a ball ache to seat if you using a floor pump.

Experiment, see what works for you.

Had a Conti Vertical 2.35 Protection non UST , road it tubed for about 6-8months so it was worn, then converted it to tubeless on a Sun Ringle rim and road it for another 6months until it was fakked without a single issue. Well apart from having to just top up the air every now and again.

Seriously, as long you are not running stupidly low pressures and are not bombing fire roads at 60km's hour (which you shouldn't, you should be on the single track next to the road - come to Tokia and you will see what I mean...) you will be fine.

It will give you a lighter tire / tubeless conversion vs the LUST. You have to keep the pressures a little higher to stop burping (like 5-10PSi so it isn't that much).

I have also converted WTB non LUST tires to tubeless with great success. Only issue was a sharp rock piecing the tire after about 8 months of wear and the hole wouldn't seal properly. Nothing that a gator or plug can't sort out.

LUST tires are pretty thick which makes seating them easy and they hold shape well so you can run lower pressures without to much damage. Non LUST tires are a ball ache to seat if you using a floor pump.

Experiment, see what works for you.

Thanks for the info! What pressure would you consider reasonable? I don't normally run very low pressures, but would like to know what would be considered safe!

Initially I ran just Maxxis standard tires tubeless on standard rims. Did the Epic like that, no problems, just keep the sealant topped up.

Since then I've tried some other tyres too, Conti's and some or other kenda. Found both to be too porous, leaked air from everywhere in the tyre. Maybe more/better sealant would have helped, but I eventually gave up. I know other people have had the opposite experience.

My personal opinion: Ride whatever std tyre you can get that holds air properly (found maxxis to work well, specialized too). Std tyres mounted tubelessly wont just jump of the rim at some random time, it happens if you lose pressure without knowing it. A tubed tyre will do the same in the same scenario. Just make sure you have enough air in.

I have been running a normal foldable crossmark and monorail tire combo tubeless for the past 18months with no issues with +- 3000km on with tire pressure of 25psi(68kg rider weight)

I must admit you definitely need to pressure them a bit higher to eliminate burps.

The main reason for using normal foldables is it's +-R300 per tire, with a 400- 500 gram total weight saving on the circumference of your tire , irrespective of UST or non-UST, I write off tires in the same time so why pay twice as much for the same tire with added weight.

My vote goes for non-UST tires from a weight weenie racing perspective.

hmmmm. also been using foldable schwalbe Rocket rons and Nobby nics with a stans concversion kit and running about 40psi. Runnning DT swiss rims.

No problems in the year and a bit even in Tokai. :thumbup:

Ek ry al 2jr non-ust tyres op non-ust rims sonder enige probleme.

Ek het nou my derde non-ust maxxis agter laat opsit.Ek kyk net gereeld na my tyres vir enige snye ens.

Ek kan eerlik se as die tyres nou nog nie van die rims geklim het dink ek nie dit sal sommer,maar daar is altyd n eerste

keer.

hmmmm. also been using foldable schwalbe Rocket rons and Nobby nics with a stans concversion kit and running about 40psi. Runnning DT swiss rims.

No problems in the year and a bit even in Tokai. :thumbup:

40 PSI, HOLY CRAP. Do you have dental plan for chipped teeth....?