Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Failure is not an option this time.

Be mindful of your choices young padawan.....

All I am saying is this, you have made a choice to stop, and used a crutch as motivation....but simply, if you did not have staying power the champix would not have worked at all. You are the one making the active choice, I have no doubt you will make it...post-6166-0-09095100-1334905645.gif

My motivational for the day :thumbup:

Well D-Day arrived today and so far not had a ciggie or a craving for one so far. Thank you Champix, thanks for also making me want to throw up, but you are doing your job. It has been about 12 hours since my last ciggie. :clap: :clap:

I completely changed my routine around , so I can break the habits when I would normally have a ciggie. No coffee till I got into work this morning, drove a different route to work( I had wanted to commute, feeling to ill for that)

Being at work, is keeping my mind occuopied and I have no more ciggies with me, I broke what I had left last night, so no temptations. Just hope this nausea passes so I can go for a ride or bodyboard this arvo.

Edited by Caerus

Well D-Day arrived today and so far not had a ciggie or a craving for one so far. Thank you Champix, thanks for also making me want to throw up, but you are doing your job. It has been about 12 hours since my last ciggie. :clap: :clap:

I completely changed my routine around , so I can break the habits when I would normally have a ciggie. No coffee till I got into work this morning, drove a different route to work( I had wanted to commute, feeling to ill for that)

Being at work, is keeping my mind occuopied and I have no more ciggies with me, I broke what I had left last night, so no temptations. Just hope this nausea passes so I can go for a ride or bodyboard this arvo.

Good on you mate!! Quitting is mostly in your head. I quit a few years ago using Zyban. It worked for me. I thought it was supposed to be the miracle pill that took your cravings away but it wasn't. It was still hard work.

What worked for me was to not look back, but rather look forward. Try and get through the next hour. When you get through that, go for the next one. Hours become days, become weeks, become months etc. For me, the cravings came in waves of varying strengths. Resist them by keeping your mind occupied. When you have accumulated a few hours/days/weeks of no smoking, think about that one fag cancelling out all that hard work to get as far as you have.

Smoking is about the addiction agreed, but it also a habit. You have taken the first step being the decision to stop. Next step is breaking the habit. (Changing your route to work is good so is delaying the first cup of coffee) When you crack those, the meds will help with the addiction part.

For me it has been a while now and prior to that I tried every patch, gum, spray and elastic band out there without success. I reckon the Zyban helped but not as much as the mental state of my mind.

Set yourself a target (6 months worked for me. My reward was DSTv. It was a financial substitute. If I started again, I would be punishing my family as well because there wasn't enough money for DSTv and Gauloises) and when you reach it you should get somebody (Your wife) to reward you by buying you something. Make it worthwhile though so if you want to start again, you can look at the reward and feel guilty about lighting up.

Good luck and keep at it. It is worth it.

Don't think of the cravings as a result of not smoking...but rather that you are having a bad day, otherwise you will be tempted to light up just to get the cravings and other issues settled.

Seven days down the line is a very long way to go already, you have crossed over the threshold to non-smoker already, just maintain it :thumbup:

Good on you mate!! Quitting is mostly in your head.

Probably been floated here before, but quitting smoking is not predominantly in your head. The nicotine is probably one of the most physically addictive substances in the world. Sure, you need to be right in your head, but the actual physical addiction is far stronger.

Probably been floated here before, but quitting smoking is not predominantly in your head. The nicotine is probably one of the most physically addictive substances in the world. Sure, you need to be right in your head, but the actual physical addiction is far stronger.

No doubt. I have heard that before. I am no doctor but it sure made it easier to quit once I had made up my mind properly to do it. All the previous times it had been at the request of someone else and I failed miserably. Longest pull I had was a few weeks.

it sure made it easier to quit once I had made up my mind properly to do it.

Sure, it's a mind over matter kind of thing, I'm just saying the matter in this case is pretty large.

Sure, it's a mind over matter kind of thing, I'm just saying the matter in this case is pretty large.

That it is. That's what make quitting such a big deal and that's what non smokers don't get.

2 days not smoking :clap: :clap: . I must say it has not been as hard as the last time around, not saying it has not been easy either. In saying that, I've been having the craziest of dreams, and I did not manage to ride Karkloof, but thats OK.

Well done Caerus, day 10 of being clean for me..

it gets easier just hang in there. Champix ftw.

Well done to all of you, for once quitting is winning!

Just wait till you go to a smokers house and get a whiff of that!

2 days not smoking :clap: :clap: . I must say it has not been as hard as the last time around, not saying it has not been easy either. In saying that, I've been having the craziest of dreams, and I did not manage to ride Karkloof, but thats OK.

How is your appetite? I found when i stopped, I was constantly hungry,stopped a month ago,never felt better,and my energy has improved alot

How is your appetite? I found when i stopped, I was constantly hungry,stopped a month ago,never felt better,and my energy has improved alot

I did eat a lot yeaterday, but that was to be expected. Will try and curb any food cravings by drinking more water. Just the nightmares are freaking me out, Sat & Sunday nights I woke up in a sweat, Sat night I really battled to sleep. Will be really looking forward to this weekends riding.

Thanks for all the support, certainly helps to know there are others going through a similar experience at the moment. My mom has also finally packed it in after more then 50 years of smoking.

when the cravings (for food) start - I turn to whine gums....cant get enough. :mellow: