Cape Epic 2012 vs Cape Pioneer Trek

GLuvsMtb

Cape Epic

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t8PHYRHMaVk/S9D2cMtB1eI/AAAAAAAAAOU/VhAgORS9eQs/s1600/TFI.13_S5_1.jpg

Cape Pioneer Trek

gallery_4329_931_315307.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the prologue brings the cost per day down, it also dilutes the averages on the kms, ascent etc.

For about 1000 of the 1200 riders the prologue is simply an opportunity to check the bike and warm the legs up. If I add the prologue the Pioneer would be much tougher on paper than the Epic.

Its difficult to compare apples with apples, but by adding the prologue the comparason becomes scewed.

Interesting that adding a day (even if only 27km) makes a race easier....yes it makes the averages lower, but a race is not raced on averages, but over a route. This comparison can only be done by someone who has done both. The "old" Epic was raced over more roads with some hills thrown in - today it is more off-road.

The bragging rights on the Epic are higher - would hate to sweat bullets on the Pioneer then have no-one (other than an avid cyclist) know the race...

'The bragging rights on the Epic are higher - would hate to sweat bullets on the Pioneer then have no-one (other than an avid cyclist) know the race...'

Well if you ride for yourself then the Pioneer.

Everybody that does the Epic now days goes running around shouting it out. Sorry but I ride for my own personal enjoyment and don't care if nobody has heard of the race as only my close family and friends might here about it.

Some randoms told me about the epic etc. Great you enjoyed it but why shout it out?

Oh and the Lesotho Sky race seems like much more fun but I won't comment on if it's cheaper per ascent etc.

But let the Epic boys do their thing so that the rest can enjoy the other stage multi-day races.

Edited by Scott 1

Ok, fair enough!!!, The tougher question does make the argument different, but the you should't have added the price per kilometer :rolleyes:

I haven't done either, but for some weird reason it feels that the Pioneer is tougher, not sure why, if I read what the guys say and the comments on the blogs and twitter etc, it sounds like the Cape Pioneer might be tougher.

But then again, only a fool can really say that the Epic is "easy" I mean, if you listened to the guys speak after the stage to Worcester last year, I mean, that sounded really tough and the 147km Stage 3 in 2012 sounds like murder, but like Sauser said last night on SuperCycling, it all depends on the surface, if it is rocky and sandy, then sure, it'll be a nightmare to say the least, but if it is open gravel roads, then it is a completely different animal.

Anybody out there that did both?

I added the cost per km etc for my blog post that would follow this thread. I don't have an issue with the Epic charging crazy prices to get the competitors in, but there are those who fall over their feet to tell everyone what a rip-off the Epic is every year the entry prices come out. Here is an alternative that is just as tough (maybe even tougher).

It also seems like these two events have a bit of an arm wrestle going over which is tougher, hence the races being made tougher year on year.

Find the right balance and you have a great race.

Forget the Prologue,how can 27km affect your chances for the rest of the week?! It happens on a Sunday and is only important to see who wears the Leader's jersey on Day 1. The Epic starts on Monday, so does the Pioneer.

I completed the Cape Pioneer last week. Yes, it's tough... as in really tough!

I can't comment on the Epic (yet... anyone want to hand over an entry) but I can join in with the rest of the comments about the race village, atmosphere, organization and route - all spectacular. Yes, Katot threw in a couple of tough days/sections but at least it's not all Jeep track! Yes, the Epic is on my bucket-list but looking at the calculation at the top of this thread it really does get a lot more expensive than the Pioneer.

A few of the guys that I chatted to at the Pioneer who had completed the Epic had the same thoughts, Pioneer is very tough, maybe tougher than the Epic but with a much nicer atmosphere.

Another mention for the costs - the Pioneer moves the race village every night, compared to the three moves that the Epic makes. So from a logistical perspective definitely a bit more work that goes into this? (Although the numbers at the Epic are much higher)

Bottom line, if you ride for the sticker - go for the Epic. If you ride for the experience then go for the Pioneer. If you can afford both then what are you waiting for?

I'm also not one to keep the sticker on after the event. It feels like I'm windgat about it. Besides: You don't need to complete the race to get the sticker. You simply have to enter.

Mr Morewood. "Spitbraai" wants to know what stickers you are refraining from putting on your frame?

"Short route" stickers do not count! :D

Edited by NeverEnder

Mr Morewood. "Spitbraai" wants to know what stickers you are refraining from putting on your frame?

"Short route" stickers do not count! :D

"Slaaiman": Attakwas entries open on 8 Nov. Are you going to actually ride one of these sometime soon?

The pioneer was an awesome experience!Oom Katot is a master sniffing out impossible little rocky trails,stage 2, Pebble beach was one of them!!Thanks Oom I broke my xx rd!

It was tough for sure,but the lovely water tables made up for it.

I've not done the Epic and don't want to for that amount of money either!The perks at the Pioneer are also much nicer.We each got First Ascent soft shell garments worth a R1000 and a FA t shirts(like Attakwas)

The race village is sooooo nice,rubbing shoulders with world champs and all.

The Pioneer Trek is on my list every year till the day I die!

Viva Dryland and DCM Cape Pioneer Trek!

I'm not one to wish my life away,but damn I wish it was October 2012 already!

Have finished both the Epic and the Pioneer this year. Pioneer wins on toughness, social interaction after the Stage and atmosphere. The field this year was small, but of a very high standard.

Epic has the street cred,global recognition and gets you more bragging rights.

Only thing I wish these races would realise that it is not all about the toughest,the longest,the highest.....Look at Sani, not the toughest route, but nobody moans about that and it's got a waiting list.

Even Kevin Evans said that he prefers Pioneer because it is a more convivial atmosphere, where pro's and amateurs can chat over a beer or glass of wine.

Good on the Pioneer to offer a Solo category, hope the Epic does the same.

Possibly because for most of the pros the season is just about over and so more relaxed?

While the prologue brings the cost per day down, it also dilutes the averages on the kms, ascent etc.

For about 1000 of the 1200 riders the prologue is simply an opportunity to check the bike and warm the legs up. If I add the prologue the Pioneer would be much tougher on paper than the Epic.

Its difficult to compare apples with apples, but by adding the prologue the comparason becomes scewed.

Would 109km in Stellenbosch be the same as 109km around Killarney Race Track? Are all 10km climbs the same?

It's not only the distance and climbing that make a race tough but also the terrain and combination of the stages strung together. Can't comment on Pioneer but Sani2c is like riding on a highway the trails are so "flat". At the end of the day, each to their own surely?

I challenge you to 27km in Durbanville and we can chat after about how those legs feel ;-)

Pioneer much better value for money, food is better, you get cool Jacket, more community involvement and benefit.

You can even share a bottle of red wine with Suzi, Kevin, David George and Max and others if you want to. They are much more relaxed. Got a much better vibe. More personal becuase of smaller numbers.

The Epic is a training ride for the Pioneer.

If the bike sticker/status is all you want, and you have cash , then Epic is the one.

Otherwise PIONEER all the way.

Would 109km in Stellenbosch be the same as 109km around Killarney Race Track? Are all 10km climbs the same?

It's not only the distance and climbing that make a race tough but also the terrain and combination of the stages strung together. Can't comment on Pioneer but Sani2c is like riding on a highway the trails are so "flat". At the end of the day, each to their own surely?

I challenge you to 27km in Durbanville and we can chat after about how those legs feel ;-)

I ride the Durbanville trails regularly. It made up a lot of my Pioneer training and will also be part of my Epic training(2013 as my 2012 budget is shot already). The response I got at the finishers dinner of the Pioneer from the riders that did both, rated the Pioneer as tougher. I wanted to get the opinion of other riders as well, as often memory fades over time on exactly how tough something was.

27km in Durbanville with my wife is also a lot different to 27km with some oke who has a point to prove.

Weather is also a factor on particular events. Epic started in Tulbagh with very hot weather. Slightly cooler weather at the Pioneer(36 deg max recorded on day 1) may have helped initially but the rain and wind on day 3 was tough for many. So apart from the terrain, the weather also plays its part and on the balance you will have unfavorable weather during most of the longer events.

Another factor on the Epic is that you ride with 1200 riders (ok about 1000 after day 5) opposed to less than 300. I've seen in the middle of the field how riders have to walk sections that is very ridable because traffic forces you off the bike.

The Epic is also tough because you queue for everything, unless you're one of those corporate types that got the entry and the guest house upgrade, you WAIT for just about everything. At the Pioneer the longest I waited for a shower was about 2 minutes.

So yes - races can't be rated on paper, but its at least a good starting point.

Edited by MorewoodMad