The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

S

HI. I have questions. How do I now if my bike can go to 1x12? Also how will it affect top end? I currently have a Silverback sola 4 2016. It has 3x9. It showing wear in the front cogs and chain is warn. It's time for the 3rs one. My logs mileage on garmin is 3000km. So do I stick to the 3x9 or upgrade later. It's not there yet but I'm foreseeing it will need attention in the near future. My budget is tight. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

S

HI. I have questions. How do I now if my bike can go to 1x12? Also how will it affect top end? I currently have a Silverback sola 4 2016. It has 3x9. It showing wear in the front cogs and chain is warn. It's time for the 3rs one. My logs mileage on garmin is 3000km. So do I stick to the 3x9 or upgrade later. It's not there yet but I'm foreseeing it will need attention in the near future. My budget is tight. 

It can.

Check the front rings .... often these are 104 CBD, and easy to convert to 1x.

11 speed does the same job, for a fraction of the cost .... starting from 11 to whater you choose.

Long cage derailure and shifter.

Cost me less than 5k earlier this year.

OKAY ... you asked for 1x12 ... keeping the same freebody it is the entry level 12 speed cassetes  that will fit.

Same applies to the front ring, derailure, and shifter.

The 1x11 will be less finicky than an entry level 1x12 .... the better 12 speed cassettes will require a ne freebody, probably a new hub.

Speed ... the 11 costs you some top end compared to the 10 on the more expensive cassettes.

The real question though .... 32 or 34 or 36 up front ???

36 to 11 spins out below 40km/h .... though a 36 and hills are not friends ...

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

It can.

11 speed does the same job, for a fraction of the cost .... starting from 11 to whater you choose.

OKAY ... you asked for 1x12 ... keeping the same freebody it is the entry level 12 speed cassetes  that will fit.

The 1x11 will be less finicky than an entry level 1x12 .... the better 12 speed cassettes will require a ne freebody, probably a new hub.

Speed ... the 11 costs you some top end compared to the 10 on the more expensive cassettes.

So the current 22t upfront with the largest on the back is to easy for me. I can comfortably go up to 3. Weight advantage. So maybe 34. 40 is more than enough. Speed peddling. I am doing the amashova with my day next year( never done that much) but I believe you can still do well with an mtb. Or I can just look for a cheap road bike to do that and trainer. I do prefer mtb. Want to think about tonteldoos or Karoo Burn The year after. I'd I csn fit the time to train. But work will make it difficult. I would like to go up to atleast equavalent of trailseeker 70km races and obviously the easier slower ride with my son

2 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

So the current 22t upfront with the largest on the back is to easy for me. I can comfortably go up to 3. Weight advantage. So maybe 34. 40 is more than enough. Speed peddling. I am doing the amashova with my day next year( never done that much) but I believe you can still do well with an mtb. Or I can just look for a cheap road bike to do that and trainer. I do prefer mtb. Want to think about tonteldoos or Karoo Burn The year after. I'd I csn fit the time to train. But work will make it difficult. I would like to go up to atleast equavalent of trailseeker 70km races and obviously the easier slower ride with my son

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-deore-m6100-12-spd-upgrade-kit. Would this be the lower level  1x12

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

It can.

Derailleur #semanet

taking a spacing cue, 1x12 is doable and not so finicky.

keep the hyper glide freebody and fit a SRAM NX or Subrace MX50 cassette.

you’re now free to choose your derailleur and shifter that suits your budget.

the 3 ring chainring will require a narrow wide chain ring to be mounted in the middle ring position. Some are 96mm bcd, some are 94mm bcd and some are 104mm and one is 102mm. There are a variety of manufacturers making chainrings so there will be a solution that is cost effective.

• 8 months later...

question time, might have been in this thread already but search aint my friend here!

MTB bike is 2x10, with probably 11-34 cassette

Busted derailluer cage on a tired SRAM XX 10spd derailleur, and have a mint 2012 XO 9 speed RD in the parts bin,

the 9speed is a longer cage.

From what I can tell, both are EXACT ACTUATION ratio, so should in theory be compatible, (as i understand the cassette and the shifter obviously need to be the same speed, but the RD is more interchangeable -could be very wrong)

do I swap derailleurs and see if it works, or swap the cage rather?

actual part, let's call that plan C

https://evobikes.co.za/product/sram-x0-rd-10sp-cage-assy-long-red/ 

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

question time, might have been in this thread already but search aint my friend here!

Busted derailluer cage on a tired SRAM XX 10spd derailleur, and have a mint 2012 XO 9 speed RD in the parts bin,

From what I can tell, both are EXACT ACTUATION ratio, so should in theory be compatible, (as i understand the cassette and the shifter obviously need to be the same speed, but the RD is more interchangeable -could be very wrong)

It should work, give it a shot.

Edit: First swap the DR's as is and see how it work.

Edited by TheoG

58 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

According to this chap you're good. And I learnt something.

Tech - SRAM Exact Actuation - Parts compatibility | Tokyo Cycling Club (tokyocycle.com)

Edited by 100Tours

In my 'bit' of experience of fiddling with stuff .... SRAM 9sp and 10sp mtb derailleurs are not the same.

I've often heard people say 'ag 11sp and 10sp mtb Shimano derailleurs are interchangeable' but that is also not my experience

Like I say just what I've found

22 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

According to this chap you're good. And I learnt something.

Tech - SRAM Exact Actuation - Parts compatibility | Tokyo Cycling Club (tokyocycle.com)

well that opening talk on 11spd with 10spd is not what i saw here. (luckily I'm a slow adopter, will move to 12 spd in 2035)

https://www.cyclemaintenanceacademy.com/sram-components/sram-parts-compatibility/

image.png.b2734f60a06eada33382f2853104f0fe.png

Just now, NotSoBigBen said:

In my 'bit' of experience of fiddling with stuff .... SRAM 9sp and 10sp mtb derailleurs are not the same.

I've often heard people say 'ag 11sp and 10sp mtb Shimano derailleurs are interchangeable' but that is also not my experience

Like I say just what I've found

will just report what i experience then!!