The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

Howzit guys. Very new to the sport, (3weeks in lol) my wife and i rode Thaba (green) on sunday and i only used 3-1to4 and my wife stayed in 2-4.

I want to know if it will be worthwile to make her bike a ss and also if it will be worth it to remove my 1and2 gears. basically leave the cassette at the back but have one cog in front number 3. ?? if so what would i need to change gear lever wise. I would obviously remove my front shifter and drealiur completely.

Im a tad on the big side so i want to shave as much weight as i can without costing an arm and a leg.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wessel keep the gears a bit longer...go ride different places...Rietvlei, Van gaalens, Breedts, Groenies, Northern farms and a race or two and then if you feel like chucking dem gears, do so.

Cool. We are riding Groenlkloof on sunday so and then probably rietvlei in the week sometime.(Close to home).

I just feel if im not changing them i might as well chuck them but maybe it was just the trail we were on. Thaba is not for the faint hearted. Got a shock when my wife came peddling up behing me grunting "trap ffkkiit trap" LoL

Agree with Roukie . I know it's the latest craze but I will not be doing the Magalies Monster on my SS !!! It just does not make sense . My SS is for Mass rides , pub crawl and maybe the odd tar race .

I Dont want a single speed just a 6 speed. Number 3 now and the cassette in the back. i just felt i didnt change down to 2 and 1. I will ride a couple more trails and CM on friday night and then see how i feel. My wife does not change. She is in one gear from start to finish

I Dont want a single speed just a 6 speed. Number 3 now and the cassette in the back. i just felt i didnt change down to 2 and 1. I will ride a couple more trails and CM on friday night and then see how i feel. My wife does not change. She is in one gear from start to finish

Cool man, also enter a race or two, where you are working between all three front chain rings. Also some steep climbs might change your mind ito dropping granny at the old age home. Concrete slabs at VG....breedts...greek church to name a few. But if you have your heart set on doing it...lekker!

I thought twin towers at Thaba was a steep climb untill a friend of mine suggested Comaro. Granted its road vs dirt but if he can ride out comaro i should ride out Twin Towers .

As soon as we are fit we are going to enter one of the Kineticgear 24hours. Also busy enquiring about the Spartan series.

On the subject of Gears. I have a Sram X0 rear derailieur. All works fine, but the spring tensioning the (which is removeable on the XO by the way) cage doesn't generate enough tension to hold the chain on when going over rough terrain.

Any idea who can help in finding a very high tension spring for a derailieur as the XO?

the way i decide when to replace

Chainsuck = new chain and chainrings

Jumping on the cluster when pushing hard on the pedal stroke with adjustment not making any difference = new chain & cluster

both the above problems = new chain, new chain rings & new cluster.

I never listen to a LBS mechanic, very few know what they talking about and are simply trying to sell you components. JB excluded, when i'm stuck or don't know how, Yellow Saddle is my one and only choice.

Also google and youtube will educate you into a very good home mechanic

• 1 month later...

Sadly 'they' will generally always say that, and its really not always necessary. Just check chain wear and replace chain before it goes over the edge, then it starts messing up chain rings and cassettes.

That cassette looks fine, gear problems might be with cables or RD setup.

Check out SRAM options as well. No need to go ultra high end like XX or XTR.

Hi!

I have also been told that I need to change my chain. How much should this cost me?blink.png

Hi!

I have also been told that I need to change my chain. How much should this cost me?blink.png

I found slx chain and xt cassette your best value for money combo. slx chain is about R300 (R100 cheaper than xt chain but I have found it somewhat more prone to rust, this is however not an issue if you like to maintain your drivetrain). XT cassette about R750. Easybike had a special on xt cassette and chain for R700. Best deal on a drivetrain I have seen for a long time. Go check out thieir website.

HELP. PLEASE!

I replaced my SRAM chain (10spd) on my bike.

I measured the chain to the same length of previous one and fitted it. When pedaling it skips gears on the middle chain ring - it sound quite hectic, almost as if the teeth will break off? When selecting gears (smallest cog on cassette & smallest chain ring in the front the chain seem to have a very loose fit? I then removed another link and still have the same problem with the gears skipping on the middle chain ring.

What is going on here?!

huh.png

Edited by BearManGuy

Ok - to report back on the problem I had, it seems like the teeth on the middle chainring was too worn to fit with the new chain, so I had to replace the middle chainring.

• 8 months later...

HI

So I think this is the right place for this question..

I currently have an 8 speed Alivio on my MTB and would like to upgrade to something abit better, due to the budget being abit tight at the moment, I don't have that much to upgrade the entire group set, I would prefer to start with the rear derailleur, as it is the thing that does the most amount of work, so I feel. My LBS recommends I rather upgrade the shifter as they say that is more important. I'm been having abit of hassles with shifting the last few 100km's and I just feel its time to start upgrading.

What should I look at upgrading to? The SLX seems nice, but will it work with my 8 Speed? Would it be the right place to start?

If you going to look to upgrade on a budget then go to 9spd, for that, upgrade the shifters, the RD and cassette, you can find 9spd components in the classifieds quite cheaply.

SLX is good enough, if you can find XT the better.