FOX RP23 - Explanation Needed

Greg29

Hi,

Need some help from those 'in the know'. I'm looking at buying my first full suspension bike wich has a Fox RP23 rear shock. When I took it for a ride the propedal didn't lock completely - is this correct? Should it lock 100% or should there still be a bit of give?

Thanks

Greg

It dos not lock completely. It just stiffens up. I use to ride with mine on the "close" setting and only when things got rough doing downhill would I open it to completely open.

Hi Greg

The Pro-Pedal will never lock completely. It will however increase the force required to get the shock to start moving through it's travel.

A guide would be to ensure that you have the correct sag set up on the can then if you require more "platform" pull the little numbered dial on the top of the lever body and turn it in a clockwise direction until the no. 3 is in line with the lever. This would be your firmest setting on the "platform". Play around with it to see just what a difference it can make.

H

Hi

Propedal is not a complete lockout and there is give.

The dial with "1 , 2 , 3" gives you the amount of give in propedal.

So to get the closest to complete lockout, set your blue dial to 3.

You might have it on 1 at the moment.

There are 3 different settings that you can set to determine the lockout force.

1 = Some give, 2 = less give, 3 = pretty solid (unless you hit some stuff)

I'm on a 5inch travel bike and getting almost no bob on 3 setting. Check out the website though before okes speak *** in your ear.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/rear_shocks/float_rp23.htm p.s..... most of what's been said above is correct (saw

this post late)

Edited by manbearpig

if you like it to be almost locked out get the compression setting changed at Fox for R1000, get it changed to high compression.

There are 3 different settings that you can set to determine the lockout force.

1 = Some give, 2 = less give, 3 = pretty solid (unless you hit some stuff)

I'm on a 5inch travel bike and getting almost no bob on 3 setting. Check out the website though before okes speak *** in your ear.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/rear_shocks/float_rp23.htm

Thanks, I'll take a look and have a play around to determine the best setup.

Fox really just made it more simple with offering the most pro-pedal platform in the ON position. It is after-all what people wanted was a firm setting.

"Open position" allows you to either fine tune pro-pedal or ride it full open if you are happy with the factory pro-pedal setting. I ride pro-pedal for up and number 2 for downhill related activities. 2 because I like the rear to be responsive if I lay down power while descending. It just makes it snappier than if it was full open.

PS, the suspension design will dictate how much of each you need, so you won't be able to just take each recommended setting and apply. It all depends on the bike.

Fox really just made it more simple with offering the most pro-pedal platform in the ON position. It is after-all what people wanted was a firm setting.

"Open position" allows you to either fine tune pro-pedal or ride it full open if you are happy with the factory pro-pedal setting. I ride pro-pedal for up and number 2 for downhill related activities. 2 because I like the rear to be responsive if I lay down power while descending. It just makes it snappier than if it was full open.

PS, the suspension design will dictate how much of each you need, so you won't be able to just take each recommended setting and apply. It all depends on the bike.

The bike I'm looking at is a 2009 Yeti 575. Do the 1-3 settings work in the 'open' postion? I thought it was just for propedal?

Awesome.

The RP23 fits almost anything and it is quite rare for it to be custom valved for the suspension design, you can send it in for adjustment of course - as Master216 has mentioned.

The pro-pedal on/off feature will work just fine. The Yeti is a good pedalling bike already, the ON position will just add to the already stable platform. The open position will let you soak up the hits to your preferred liking.

1. Ride up with PP, flick it open at the top and ride down over everything you can see.

2. Find the sweet spot in "open" (for me 2) and don't hassle with levers and settings unless you REALLY need it.

I ride the Reign with Maestro, a good pedalling platform already so it is rare that I need to flick over to pro-pedal. I could have bought the RP2, but at that stage the gold of Kashima was too good-looking not to have!

Awesome.

The RP23 fits almost anything and it is quite rare for it to be custom valved for the suspension design, you can send it in for adjustment of course - as Master216 has mentioned.

The pro-pedal on/off feature will work just fine. The Yeti is a good pedalling bike already, the ON position will just add to the already stable platform. The open position will let you soak up the hits to your preferred liking.

1. Ride up with PP, flick it open at the top and ride down over everything you can see.

2. Find the sweet spot in "open" (for me 2) and don't hassle with levers and settings unless you REALLY need it.

I ride the Reign with Maestro, a good pedalling platform already so it is rare that I need to flick over to pro-pedal. I could have bought the RP2, but at that stage the gold of Kashima was too good-looking not to have!

Thanks to all for the advice, looking forward to hitting some trails.

Hi Greg,

I went through the whole confusing thing a little while ago. I read everything, without solving my problem, and then just went out and fiddled. You should do the same, it is the best way to sort out how it works.

Regards

Sarge

Hi Greg,

I went through the whole confusing thing a little while ago. I read everything, without solving my problem, and then just went out and fiddled. You should do the same, it is the best way to sort out how it works.

Regards

Sarge

Yep, I'm gonna do just that.