Grape Escape - ENTRY FEE:R2 450 per person

rpedro

ENTRY FEE:R2 450 per person  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the price increase?

• Worth every penny
    • Disgrace
    • Don’t care

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are taking their cue from the Epic: milk you brand for what you can! Make it expensive so those who participate value it more, and it also makes/keeps it upmarket, no up country riff-raff, target those Euros.

Are you all crazy! This is by far the most affordable stage race out there. And on the topic of Epic prices... I believe their price is in the R35000 for a double entry. That's R17500 per rider instead of the measly R2450 per rider. Yes the epic is 8 days, but that still works out at just over R2000 per day on the Epic which is in stark contrast to the R800 per day for the Grape Escape.

For a race that does not offer accommodation this must be the most expensive race in South Africa If you look at competing races the Honda Trophy and Crater Cruise as good examples for stage races with no Accommodation , both you can do for way under R500

Edited by Foxy

Change the heading to +-300% increase, because that is the actual increase.

Pretty sad though, was really looking forward to doing this next year - now I'm so sure anymore.

If they want to charge "real" stage race prices they need to include the accommodation, as the overnight stay is a big part of stage racing - camaraderie and all of that.

When is this? If anybody wants to stay in Durbanville for free, let me know. I'll even make pasta one evening! Why? Because I have an extra room with bed and this is part of giving back. And for bridging the divide between roadies and mtbers :)

Thanks andydude ... will let the family know, they are coming down on 1 March from garies (they don't mind sharing a bed)

You sure you can make pasta for 7 ? (maybe grandma will come as well - as spectator - her pasta must be very soft ....no teeth sorry to say)

Also, would you mind picking them up at bellville station.

shot

thanks boet

Unfortunately I did the first 3 Epics when the value was sort of acceptable and no more because I also have now done 6 sani2c and I'm afraid at that price for me it's like the Epic - a big rip-off. They do not deserve to get the numbers to sustain the race :thumbdown:

No point moaning about the prices. Choose the rides you want to do and can afford. The overpriced races will either fold or have to adapt. The measure of a good race is not how much kit you get when you register, but all about the experience and whether it was worth the expense. Rather give me no stuff, but a fantastic route. How many Sani jackets or Epic bags does one need?

Rather give me the entry option where I can choose to buy the jacket, buy the bag or book a tent and if I choose none, then deduct that from my entry fee.

Or donate the equivalent amount to a charity associated with the event. Make the event costs more transparent and you will have less whinging.

Edited by kandui

When is this? If anybody wants to stay in Durbanville for free, let me know. I'll even make pasta one evening! Why? Because I have an extra room with bed and this is part of giving back. And for bridging the divide between roadies and mtbers :)

Thanks for the offer Andydude, Im not riding the Grape Escape but I will come and stay with you on past night! :D

Isnt this the ride that dude on supercycling said last night they now aiming at the epic riders for training and not the weekend warrior anymore ?

No point moaning about the prices. Choose the rides you want to do and can afford. The overpriced races will either fold or have to adapt. The measure of a good race is not how much kit you get when you register, but all about the experience and whether it was worth the expense. Rather give me no stuff, but a fantastic route. How many Sani jackets or Epic bags does one need?

Rather give me the entry option where I can choose to buy the jacket, buy the bag or book a tent and if I choose none, then deduct that from my entry fee.

Or donate the equivalent amount to a charity associated with the event. Make the event costs more transparent and you will have less whinging.

I like the way you think ! I'm doing Sani next yaer, but will not be making use of my tent as my OH and son are coming along for the trip and I will be staying with them. It would have been great if the supper and accommodation were removed from my entry free. The jackets etc however I want as proof that I finally managed to get into Sani.

The nice thing is that we have so much choice these days so can chose the ones that are good value for money and skip the rest.

Wow looking at this price, I once again realize what great value the isuzu 3 towers is. Its 4000 odd per team FULL BOARD for a 3 day stage race and I didn't get the feeling that it was done on a tight budget. Sure it wasn't from Point A to B to C but with quality riding there who gives a crap.

Edited by rouxtjie

I like the way you think ! I'm doing Sani next yaer, but will not be making use of my tent as my OH and son are coming along for the trip and I will be staying with them. It would have been great if the supper and accommodation were removed from my entry free. The jackets etc however I want as proof that I finally managed to get into Sani.

The nice thing is that we have so much choice these days so can chose the ones that are good value for money and skip the rest.

They need to provide for your accommodation, whether you use it or not. You share a tent with your riding partner, so I'm guessing that he/she will have extra space. One of the reasons Sani2C is still affordable is because they recycle the race villages to get 3 seperate races in. I suspect that most (95%?) of the riders use the tents at this race. There's nothing like the sound of farting and snoring in MacKensie and Jolivet to get you to sleep.