* * Which one will be your next ALL MOUNTAIN Beast * *

Iwan Kemp

What would Hans Rey do?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetically speaking, you are about to pull the trigger and need to decided between the following uber bikes

• Keep your Ibis Mojo HD
    • Try a Turner 5-Spot
    • Wait a month for a Morewood Sukuma
    • Play it safe and risk going with an Ibis Mojo SL-R
    • Go completely new and order an Intense Tracer 2
    • Pray that Morewood's Mbuzi replacement is imminent
    • Give the Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon a go
    • Please the_wes and add the Commencal AM to the list
    • Or go for the killer looking Yeti SB-66

this one is just to get my post count up so my acount doesnt get deleted ;)

Love the colour scheme. Seeing as I currently ride a Trek I would give this a +1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So after months and months of riding and thing and spreadsheeting and head scratching I am down to a shortlist. In actual fact, I'm down a given: my next bike WILL be a DW-Link bike.

Mbuzi: Carbon rear is putting me off. Give me Alu or full carbon, but for some or other weird reason I've never been a combo fan. Yes, I am that shallow. Plus it's their first carbon effort and on a 170mm bike couple of grams saved is less of a concern to me. Also, most importantly, 170mm is too much of a bike for me a this stage.

Shova: Same carbon fetish as above and it's taking them too long to get the bike to the market. What's up with that?

Not wanting to try something completely new discounted Commencal, Whyte 146 and Yeti SB-66. Plus SB-66 looks the bomb, but reviews have been less flattering.

Nomad: Killer bike. Not sure why I don't like it more. If it had a DW I'd be all over it. Literally. Same reason saw TRC drop out of the race.

Tracer: Same can be said as for Nomad. The VPP just doesn't have the wide tuning range of a DW. Can go plush and still not have BOB on my HD. Can't get the same balance on a VPP. Now before I get crucified, they aren't bad bikes. In fact they are pretty damn good. In a further fact, the Nomad does decent marginally better than the HD with stock shocks. But the Monarch Plus on my HD took care of that.

That leaves the HD, SL-R or 5-Spot. Have a Spot to ride this week. Have done a couple of shorter rides which I enjoyed, but need to get it dialed 100% before I can make a call.

Pivot mach 5.7

Too XC Biased. Ugly as hell (Yes, I am that shallow)

lapierre spicy 516

They keep changing what used to be a pretty damn fine bike. Support and back-up only through shop in Gauteng. I'd rather not.

rocky mountain slayer 70

Back-up has been dodgy at best.

And none made my list...

Edited by The Crow

Guy I ride with is on the Pivot Firebird..

It is the 'one' bike right up there on my list of must have's.

What do you ride? I'm sure I've seen him (maybe you as well) out with some Reigns in Tokai. Nice bike. Goes like stink, but I just can not for the life of me get to like the look of it. Too busy around the BB and the HT seems to go on for ages!

Have I admitted to being shallow yet? :w00t:

That was us, me on the Reign. Not seen many Firebirds, none other actually.

A bit of a con on that bike is the chain with a triple. The chain slaps everything in a 1m vacinity. The rear rim looks like dog has been chewing on it for a while. Now I know the Reign makes a noise, but the Firebird threatens to slap passing riders!

The DW does make the suspension feel endless though, and that is worth a few month's salaries..

...Not sure if you've said anything about being shallow yet?? Hmm, not to my knowledge.. :whistling: but you know what will happen when you find the right bike, hey? You will not see it while riding!! :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

When do we start building..? :thumbup:

Ha ha, don't joke! Not like this thread has helped the decision!!??

Nice to see so many Intense fans in here... Have two of them (possibly three) in the family my vote would be for the Tracer with the SC in 2nd because I like VPP.

Crow, why discount bikes like the 146S just because they aren't too well known in SA? It does fulfil your carbon itch and comes in around 12kgs iirc. I could organise you a test on one if/when you popped up to Jhb.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/files/2010/09/IMG_4350-600x450.jpg

Also come in matt black with green accents :wub:

Would love to give one a go. Really like what I see and read about them. Slack, low, long...what's not to like? The thing with "not well known" comes down to second hand value. Could take forever to sell a bike only a handful of people know about.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/1317216609899-tajpp57osf4i-670-75.jpg

Edited by The Crow