Cricket......

E1A104

how can the most satisfying day be where he doesn't even put on the whites and head out to a middle and hit some balls??

Since we're now behind by a ball hair, I suppose the first test against india where we batted out for the draw where victory was very achievable is probably where we could have made the difference. but it's all a bit silly really, this time last week we were ahead by 8 points and have been penalised by not playing enough test cricket - which is a double punishment.

... or if we played a warm up test against Zim as we were supposed to...

... or if India stuck to the 3 tests as per agreement instead of the 2...

now we have 3 big chiefs that will squeeze us out of the game for good.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on a different note: I thoroughly enjoyed AB's knock last night. Calm under severe pressure right to the end.

... or if we played a warm up test against Zim as we were supposed to...

... or if India stuck to the 3 tests as per agreement instead of the 2...

now we have 3 big chiefs that will squeeze us out of the game for good.

**** forgot about that one. we should totally have greased their palms. oh wait, didn't we pay for their last elections? Bob owes us one.

• 2 weeks later...

forget the DA internal wrangling for the parliamentry leader...this is way more important.

I think Hashim is the best man for the job, but I also think he should be president of the country one day too so am far from neutral. His form dipped a bit last year from a really amazing run (although he still averages 55 since start of 2013 with 3 centuries).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/745753.html

Hashim Amla has made himself available for consideration for the job of South Africa's next Test captain. ESPNcricinfo understands Amla, who gave up the the vice-captaincy of the limited-overs teams inFebruary last year, has had a change of heart about leadership and has informed the selection panel that he can be considered for the role.

That brings to four the number of candidates who will be considered to replace Graeme Smith, who retired in March. While AB de Villiers, who announced his readiness to lead in an interview last week, and Faf du Plessis are considered front-runners for the job, with JP Duminy being talked about as an outside possibility, Amla's interest in the role adds a new dimension to the debate because he has been spoken about as a preferred choice in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Johannesburg - Hashim Amla will captain the Proteas Test team, Cricket SA announced at media conference in Sandton, Johannesburg, on Tuesday.

CSA chose Amla, 31, as the best candidate to succeed Graeme Smith who, retired from international cricket in March.

Amla captained the South African under-19 World Cup team in New Zealand in 2002. He was also captain of the Dolphins early in his career, before stepping down from the role to concentrate on his batting.

The top order batsman has played 76 Tests for his country and boasts a batting average of 51.

His first assignment will be to lead South Africa against Sri Lanka in a two-Test, away series in July.

Sapa

I'm happy with the appointment. Don't think we should have so many different captains though

It probably indicates on where the selectors are going with the gloves. AB is then surely the first choice keeper for the test side and young QdK will have to nail down a spot in the side based on his batting ability. Given David Miller's good form in the IPL I am certain that he will be a permanent fixture in our test side in the coming season. While IPL differs from test cricket by some margin, the skills the T20 players are acquiring is making test cricket exciting to watch again.

test cricket is the only form of cricket worth watching, T20 has been toxic to the game, short term gains long term losses!

The game is so in the favor of the batting teams, all the would-be Warne's are being forced to bowel fast flatter to keep it tight. the quality now is nowhere near it was 10 years ago.

test cricket is the only form of cricket worth watching, T20 has been toxic to the game, short term gains long term losses!

The game is so in the favor of the batting teams, all the would-be Warne's are being forced to bowel fast flatter to keep it tight. the quality now is nowhere near it was 10 years ago.

I particularly enjoy the shotmaking and the fielding. These guys are making Jonty Rhodes look like Pat Symcox in the field.

I dunno about this one tbh .. Hash gave up the T20 Captaincy because he didn't feel up for it ..... Hope it doesn't effect his batting.

I dunno about this one tbh .. Hash gave up the T20 Captaincy because he didn't feel up for it ..... Hope it doesn't effect his batting.

3 years ago I would have passed if asked to be the CFO of a listed company. Today I am one, so I guess part of enjoying what you do is to grow all aspects as best you can. I am sure that Hash would have grown as a leader in the last year or 2.

3 years ago I would have passed if asked to be the CFO of a listed company. Today I am one, so I guess part of enjoying what you do is to grow all aspects as best you can. I am sure that Hash would have grown as a leader in the last year or 2.

Fair point - but your experienced changed, he is as inexperience as a Captain then as he is now.

If someone asked you 3 years ago if you had ambitions of being the CFO you would have said yes? and possibly taken the Sr FM role that they offered at the time.

Don't get me wrong, Ill support him but a little concerning it was not something he has been working towards or wanted as demonstrated when he reversed his decision on the T20 and only made himself available quite late.

But he has a cool head and leads by example so he has the attributes