Hands are numb....

Morwa

I've been riding MTB for almost a year now, and initially thought the problem was newby related and would go away. My hands are numb (read dead/sleeping sensation) at about 10 min into my training sessions. It recovers quickly if I change hand positions, but I quickly experience that "pins-and-needles" sensation in my hands again, in the new hand position.

My bike was professionally set-up by AB CycleFit, so I doubt that the set-up is a problem. I've tried various types of grips (ODI's, ESI, etc.). I’m currently using the Specialized BG Contour Locking Grips, with gel gloves.

Any suggestions or advise are welcome. I need some help please!

Ek het ook dieselfde probleem ondervind .Ek het gedink dit is my setup wat nie reg is.Ek het n ander stem laat opsit ,maar wou ook nie help .Toe begin ek core oefeninge te doen en glo my na maand begin ek nou agterkom dit werk 3 keer per week. Ek het die oefeninge op die Livestrong website gekry.

I get it at times as well. I think we all do, at some point. There's a little set of nerves that run through the wrist & palm, just where you grip the bar. It's a function (I am told) of how heavy you are on the bars, which is directly related to your core strength... Stronger core = less reliance on the bars for support = less pressure on the nerver = no pins & needles.

Or just try those ergo grips, they seem to work for a lot of people...

I've been riding MTB for almost a year now, and initially thought the problem was newby related and would go away. My hands are numb (read dead/sleeping sensation) at about 10 min into my training sessions. It recovers quickly if I change hand positions, but I quickly experience that "pins-and-needles" sensation in my hands again, in the new hand position.

My bike was professionally set-up by AB CycleFit, so I doubt that the set-up is a problem. I've tried various types of grips (ODI's, ESI, etc.). I’m currently using the Specialized BG Contour Locking Grips, with gel gloves.

Hi jammer ek het verkeerd gelees ek doen core oefening vir my rugpyn.Jammer soos my gat gelees.

Jip - ergon grips sorted me out, but its a bit pricy for the carbon ones...

The cheapest solution is getting your core strength up.

Jip - ergon grips sorted me out, but its a bit pricy for the carbon ones...

The cheapest solution is getting your core strength up.

Those are the ones... They get rid of the Baaaaaaaaaaad vibes.

Sorry, pointless goatman humour there...

2 things you can also maybe try. Check front tyre pressure is not too hard. I run mine at about 1.8 - 2.0

I'm using fox gloves with no padding. Seems to help distribute pressure over my whole palm rather than create high pressure areas where the gel padding usually is.

You are trapping, or putting pressure on your Ulner nerve,I think the spelling is correct,I get it at times too,it may not be in your hand but your wrist or elbow aswell,the easiest solution is lots of hand position changes and padded gloves.....

My bike was professionally set-up by AB CycleFit, so I doubt that the set-up is a problem.

This could be a flawed assumption. Changing positions causes the feeling to go away. Something about the position that the setup is forcing you into is causing problems.

Proper bike setup is an iterative process, so I'd suggest going back to them, explaining the problem and getting them to tweak your setup accordingly.

Edited by Edman

I get that too.It is a normal thing for hands in an abnormal position

I had the same problem, sorted it out by fitting bar ends. Alows you to use different hand positions and as a bonus helps up the hills.

This is interesting. I suffer from the same problem but only on my left hand side and only when I ride my MTB. Roadie all fine. Motorcycle all fine.

Had numb hands and occasional pins and needles in my feet, it was all set up related. Seat height, seat position. Went for a set up and it sorted it all out.

At the risk of sounding silly ... (but been there) ... if you rode hands free you would not have the problem so it may well be related to pressure on the grips, ie too much pressure from leaning onto the handle bars too hard, could be a weak core (very common amongst cyclists), could be saddle position/height.

You don't need an expert to set up your bike to be honest, there are 2 or 3 basics but we are not all built the same so sometimes it takes an inch this way or that way to find comfort or optimal power transfer. Try playing with your setup & see if you can find a way to reduce the pressure on your hands without making yourself uncomfortable in another area.

Enjoy. It's part of the journey.

I use to get the same thing, but the left side of my left hand stayed semi-numb for a few weeks, even after riding. I couldn't even unlock a door. I was super worried, but it went away eventually.

I use to get the same thing, but the left side of my left hand stayed semi-numb for a few weeks, even after riding. I couldn't even unlock a door. I was super worried, but it went away eventually.

Must have been cool to beat your mielie with....