Tubeless maintenance

kosmonooit

Dear all,

I am doing annual maintenance on mtb tubeless setup, which means taking off the tyres, truing the wheels, replacing the yellow tape, and sealant.

I have come across a thorn or two that have penetrated the tyre, flush on the outside, but protruding on the side, and effectively plugging the hole. Do I remove them?

Yes and no.

I had some thorns in my tyre. So I went for a ride. Thorns came out, tyre went flat.

I had some thorns in my tyre. Removed them. Plugged the hole. Added sealant etc. Fixed.

I had some thorns in my tyre. Only noticed it when I threw the tyre away.

I think that of you think that thorn might come out/dislodge itself, then rather remove it now. But if it is in there good, why bother.

Me? I remove them if I don't need a tool to remove it.

Remove the thorns during your maintenace routines, and if sealant does not seal the tyre, plug it. You don't want the thorn to come out during a ride, or even worse, a race!

Interesting 'annual maintenance' on tjoopless. maybe I been missing out but the only 'maintenance' I do is when I fit new tyres or break a spoke .....

Also keep in mind - embedded thorns when you have to suddenly change to a tube...(for whatever unlikely reason...)

I say - take em out!!

I have a question: if my mtb has been hanging unused in the garage for 2 months, should I be taking it down every now and then to spin the tyres (to spin the sealant inside)?

Put another way, if left standing for too long, does the sealant start to solidify? If so, what's the timeline on that?

They are two small critters so it seems they must come out or be damned!

Big B: reason was really to replace the sealant, it needs annual renewal.

They are two small critters so it seems they must come out or be damned!

Big B: reason was really to replace the sealant, it needs annual renewal.

I just top up every few months or when its an important race ride and it fails the 'shake' test :unsure:

I have a question: if my mtb has been hanging unused in the garage for 2 months, should I be taking it down every now and then to spin the tyres (to spin the sealant inside)?

Put another way, if left standing for too long, does the sealant start to solidify? If so, what's the timeline on that?

Your bike is not supposed to hang in the garage or be stationary for more than two days!

Your bike is not supposed to hang in the garage or be stationary for more than two days!

I am injud, can't ride, so I sulk.

Find it hard to look up to where she hangs without a tear forming in the corner of me eye.

Now give me a proper answer!

... and do you have to take the old sealant that dried up like skin out aswell?

i left mine as "extra" protection. ( i know it does not make sense)

Its a testament to the wonders of the system that one year and probably 10 mtb marathons later, I have not had any problems with the setup, including flats!

One other reason for the flush is a polymarised bolletjie seems to have conglomerated, along with that goes all the goodness of the sealant I figure.

Note to self: yes, you are all alone in this world and no-one is going to help you with your burning question. Sorry for you.

I am injud, can't ride, so I sulk.

Find it hard to look up to where she hangs without a tear forming in the corner of me eye.

Now give me a proper answer!

I'm also pretty interested in this answer, as I switch between bikes and one has not been used for 2 months or so(waiting for brakeset to arrive) Do I need to top up or just new sealent? :unsure:

Its a testament to the wonders of the system that one year and probably 10 mtb marathons later, I have not had any problems with the setup, including flats!

One other reason for the flush is a polymarised bolletjie seems to have conglomerated, along with that goes all the goodness of the sealant I figure.

That’s from the bombs.

Just hand/foot pump the tyre up if you can.