[Event] Trans Draak 24hr MTB Quest

EcoBound MTB Events

There's a safety and perfectly logic reason to why you must be in a team.

If you can do the Freedom challenge solo, surely this will be ok.

With the Freedom Challenge you know what you enter for and come prepared for any encounter and know that support is minimal. Many Freedom riders also prefer to ride together in a group. With the Trans Draak support is provided, the pace is quicker and in most cases the route is more treacherous. In addition to this must one not forget the dangers that fatique can manifest (lack of concentration, disorientation, etc) after about 16 hours in the saddle at night time. Safety is therefore the main reason for this being a team event.

@Wil6: And what is it?

@D Vader: My point exactly. I did both solo (my partner dropped out at the 22km mark on the TD...) and I was OK. In fact I unofficially won the TD but that is another story..

@EcoBound: Ja, I personally don't buy it. FC is as remote and extreme as it gets, and nobody has died. Yet. And perhaps more NB to you guys, there has been no lawsuits.. Sure, there are always going to be risks, that is why we sign indemnity forms. But there are many people who are prepared to accept the risks of riding solo and understand what they are in for. Don't change the format of the race, but just add the option of a solo ride. You guys are very keen to advertise an "extreme" event but then get all cold feet and cite "safety" as an excuse for making it less so..

Come on EcoBound, give us a solo category - this event is perfect to do as preparation for FC..... (even the timing is spot on.)

Edited by hillbilly

Come on EcoBound, give us a solo category - this event is perfect to do as preparation for FC..... (even the timing is spot on.)

We are considering this - keep watching the website. We expect hillbilly to be the first solo entry !!

Edited by EcoBound MTB Events

Yes, due to it taking place at the wrong time of the year with too many other event clashes during this time. Therefore we have changed the date to 3 March 2012 and hope that the weather will not be a problem. As mentioned on the website, this is definitely not an event for beginners. It is tough, but provide something of everything - district roads, jeep track, single track, and awesome downhills.

I'm keen on the event.........On the route map, I see that it goes down Van Reenen's Pass.......is this on the tar road, or off the main road.....maybe the old road??....

Should be good Ride to Rhodes training.

You are so right!

Both of them great rides! Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>Was ever so slightly interested as two friends tried and failed in 2011 on the Draak. BUT, I mapped the route in google earth and decided that discretion is the better part of valour. Even the last 20km's of tar won't help.Its going to be tough, and if it rains its going to be near impossible. Good luck to all those who enter. Enjoy!!!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very well organised, albeit tough event. Stunning riding through the Berg. Put it on your list of 'To Do' races. This is a great alternative (logistic wise)for the nothern provinces to Trans Baviaans.

• 1 year later...

I have been fortunate enough to have done some rides in this area, its has fantastic riding,very spectactular and not easy,can be very windy ,very much off the beaten track where you are going.

Did a recce for this race when it was organised,and I was very impressed, respect to those who go for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Now I understand why not many people enter this event . IT is not for woozies !!! But what an awesome event , we had a jol and the Hound & Hare pub also did not disappoint .