training while on business travel

twakkies

I'm traveling into Africa oftern and find it tough to stay motivated and stick to regular training, I love my MTB but is unable to train regularry, any advice out there? I travel to Lagos and Dar es Salaam how to stay fit?

I travel a lot also, and including those 2 gems. I find the way to keep fit is to take your running does and iPod and hit the treadmill in the hotel every morning before breakfast.

+1 for running.

I took my bike along on a longer business stay in Germany last year, but have taken just running shoes on subsequent trips - nice places to ride there, but traveling with a bike bag is too much hassle for me.

Run before work worked best for me, too.

+1 for running.

I took my bike along on a longer business stay in Germany last year, but have taken just running shoes on subsequent trips - nice places to ride there, but traveling with a bike bag is too much hassle for me.

Run before work worked best for me, too.

You get to see more than just the tourist spots when you go for a run.If the hotel has a pool try swimming.

Great advice, i'll take the ipod and running shoes, i gues it is about dicsipline, eat right and stay focussed

Yep, running is by far the easiest you can do to stay fit while away from your bike. If you are serious and want are going away for a while, you can even take your heart rate monitor to check your performance (so you don't loaf!).

I don't know how well the hotels are equipped in places like Lagos, or how safe it is to run outside, though.

I'm traveling into Africa oftern and find it tough to stay motivated and stick to regular training, I love my MTB but is unable to train regularry, any advice out there? I travel to Lagos and Dar es Salaam how to stay fit?

I travel a lot also, and including those 2 gems. I find the way to keep fit is to take your running does and iPod and hit the treadmill in the hotel every morning before breakfast.

I'm currently based in Dar es Salaam. Nice to know I'm not the only hubber who gets sent to the arse-end of Africa. Gems....most certainly :blink: How often do you guys come up to Dar? I'm wanting to bring my bike up next year. Most likely my old road bike with a stationary trainer - too dangerous to ride on the roads etc here.

I'm currently based in Dar es Salaam. Nice to know I'm not the only hubber who gets sent to the arse-end of Africa. Gems....most certainly :blink: How often do you guys come up to Dar? I'm wanting to bring my bike up next year. Most likely my old road bike with a stationary trainer - too dangerous to ride on the roads etc here.

I'll be in Dar next week, will most likely be there once a month

• 1 month later...

I'll be in Dar next week, will most likely be there once a month

twakkies, ek het n friend wat die sani moet ry saam met my, hy wil train en bly in Dar, weet jy van trails?? lat my weet dan sit ek jul in kontak. thanks

Any details about MTB tracks and people who ride more seriously will be greatly appreciated.

Yep, running is by far the easiest you can do to stay fit while away from your bike. If you are serious and want are going away for a while, you can even take your heart rate monitor to check your performance (so you don't loaf!).

I don't know how well the hotels are equipped in places like Lagos, or how safe it is to run outside, though.

definately not a good idea to run in Lagos streets, if you dont get robbed you will get taken out by a car/motorbike ;) ! treadmill and swim, most hotels have gyms/pools

definately not a good idea to run in Lagos streets, if you dont get robbed you will get taken out by a car/motorbike ;) ! treadmill and swim, most hotels have gyms/pools

Ja, i normally stay in a guest house on VA, unfortunately no pool or gym, but was warned to to go run along the beachfront as they may discover your body some days later. Lagos is a weard place, there are no compassion for others, if you get killed next to the road they leave you there, nobody will touch you. Sies man!!

I swim at the hotel pool for cardiovascular exercise and all-round strengthening (core, upper bod, lower bod).

Also, find a good pair of stairs and do repeats on it - simulating pedalling / hill climbing - working the quads and calves.

I travel a lot through the year. It can be very frustrating especially if your training is going well at home. I agree, the only way to keep the fitness up is to run every chance you get and dont eat to much which can be difficult when eating out constantly. Some hotels have good spinning bikes or I find a local gym and ask for access during my stay.