Got a Dog and Singletrack?

Gunzo

Guest TheEpicOne

My lab used to run with me around the Rhodes Memorial Blockhouse ride but she is too old for that now. I even got her a pair (2 pairs actually) of booties after she ran her pads raw. Uphill she waited for me, downhill I waited for her. They learn quickly not to run in front of you and you learn quickly to anticipate when they are going to do that. It helps to have a dog that is trained to heel and to come when called. I would hesitate to do it with a dog that I cannot control when coming across other riders or hikers.

Hi there, where do you and your lab normally go for a run in Cape Town? Im getting a weimaraner and im gonna start doing some running and mountain biking with him.

Lovely footage.

Question: I am Gauteng based and have an english pointer that enjoys a good run on the singletrack.

I took him out to Teak Place once or twice for 8-10km which he loved.

Dogs understandably are not often welcomed at MTB venues.

Are you aware of any venues within close range of JHB that would allow dogs (under control) to accompany riders..?

Spruit

I saw a video a while back with a dog that was absolutely insane, also downhill or freeride and I think the dog was quite hairy... In quite a lush forest... Somebody please find it and post the link :) Its definitely worth a watch.

That brought a big smile to my face. Dogs are the only thing I know of that are born to be happy. Wish I still had one :(

Hi there, where do you and your lab normally go for a run in Cape Town? Im getting a weimaraner and im gonna start doing some running and mountain biking with him.

Dogs and bikes are welcome on the front of Table mountain anywhere between Rhodes Memorial and Deer Park and as high up as the Kings Blockhouse. There are enough jeep track for a 2 hour plus ride if you do it all, but no real single track to speak of.

Weimeraners are extremely good runners but don't let a young puppy run too far. From about 1 year old they can run 10 km, and once fit, a lot more. Heat is the running dogs' worst enemy. Avoid hot summer days or go very early. In summer, I like mine to take a dip in UCTs' dam before the run. In winter there is enough water on the mountain but in summer you'll have to carry water for you dog too. Avoid running on tar, their pads can't cope with it and wear through. If that is a problem, get two pairs of booties (Google "Cabelas dog booties" and you'll be amazed). The sleigh dogs often wear booties for long distance running and training. Teaching your puppy two commands from young, will help a lot when out riding. First is "stop" and second is "come here". With these 2 commands you'll be able to avoid many a potential problem and prevent your dog getting into dangerous situations.