Max Hear Rate

zaShadow

Timing mat , or other external interference.

Yes is see very high reading whenever I pass under power lines....

Agree with pretty much everything on this post.

As stated by Dave Tapson max HR for Running and cycling will differ slightly...usually higher when running as you are using more muscle mass.

To those who are getting readings way over 200 bpm e.g 232 etc.....make sure this is not interference being picked up by your HR monitor. I sometimes get these readings when just rolling along and tends to happen when riding certain bikes (always happens on my old steel track bike...either tells me my HR is 96 or 242!!)

Surely the 220 less age formula is based on medical research? Are there any doctors out there who could give us advice?

Surely the 220 less age formula is based on medical research? Are there any doctors out there who could give us advice?

Yes it is the formula you use as a GUIDELINE when you start exercising.

I used to use a Polar HRM and found that I would occasionally get a very high HR reading, 220 - 260bpm. My tested max is 186bpm (by cardiologist). Eventually figured out that the abnormal high reading was always on a downhill and was probably caused by my shirt flapping when the zip was down. Presume it could only be static?? When I had my shirt zipped up I never had a high reading. When I got the high reading if I stopped and physically measured my pulse it was always well below my 186bpm max. Also found that when the high reading showed I just needed to put my hand over the sensor and the reading would jump straight back down to a 'normal' reading.

Have since changed over to a Garmin HRM and never had the high readings since (2 years). I think the Polar Wearlink chest strap doesn't fit me as well as the Garmin strap.

I am using a HRM with my Garmin Edge 500 which was shouting at me a few times during the 94.7, warning me about exceeding my MAX HR. This is not such a worry for me, as going over my supposed max of 178bpm happens a few times over a long ride.

My average heart rate for the race was 168bpm - is this someting to worry about? I still felt fine after the race - wouldn't have put my hand up for a second lap but I felt there was something left in the tank.

Edited by Richard the Lion Heart

It is based on medical research. The part of the research that never gets quoted, however, is that the standard deviation of the formula is around 6-8bpm. This means that at least 5% of the population will have values that are 12-16bpm higher or lower than the predicted value. Zula also points out that the research may not have been performed on athletes.

This has all been discussed before and a while back, I posted a graph from a journal paper showing just how much the HR values deviated from the formula.

Is that possible or should I not trust the garmin?

Download the HR data onto your computer and look at the graph. There should be a smooth transition, over a minute or two of hard riding, up to the max value. If you see the steady climb every time, then it's likely the value is right. If the graph shows funny step changes, then it's not right.

I would be suspicious of any max values near the start of the ride as these may be data spikes occurring due to poor electrode contact (lack of sweat). I'd also be suspicious if the max value seems to come when you're riding at high speed and not pedalling hard, as that's probably from wind noise.

Max Hear Rate Regularly exceeding..

About 60Hz..or ANY barking bloody DOGS!

My max hear rate has declined badly over the years, mostly due to headphone damage

Max Hear Rate Regularly exceeding..

About 60Hz..or ANY barking bloody DOGS!

Ja, ja, I HEAR you.

Will fix it.

Interesting thing happened tonight: just as I was about to get on my indoor trainer in the garage, my HR spiked to 113%, without even touching the bike. Might be due to the electric fence energizer.

Any way, it seems to fit with the suggestions above. And, I do have a Polar HRM

...not nice.

Unfortunately my watch only records time spent in a zone, so I can't even check if there were spikes during a ride.

I guess this is a beter answer than a max HR of over 200, though thats not totally ruled out yet.

Thanks for your advice.