Rear derailleur hanger

Teardrop

Hi

I would like to know whether one must keep to you bike specific parts or can one buy a rear derailleur hanger to fit across different makes of bikes. Acording to my LBS I must get the part manuafactured buy the brand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Hangers are usually pretty specific - so make sure you have a spare. Having said that, hangers are often common to several bikes, so I take a sample of mine into my LBS and search through their hangers until I find a match

If you have a decently supported bike, you can get your LBS to order spares from the suppliers.

Yes they are very specific. You can get them on-line at various places (easier than long faces from LBS when you try get them to order small value parts for you, if they can comprehendo at all). I got come Cannondale compatible spares from a guy in Israel who makes them

Edited by kosmonooit

No, They are not specific at all. There are quite a few different shapes, but many of the manufacturers use common shapes, and it doesn't matter the specific brand in that case. As long as the shape is right, its fine.

Try your LBS first. If they can't help then go to www.derailleurhanger.com, they have manufacture hangers for prety much all makes, so you should come right that way.

But if you can, support your LBS first....

I am yet to come across a hanger that is common across different bikes. Does anyone ahve any examples of such compatible hangers? Obviously some of the factory catalogue frames which are sold under various brand names will be an exception, but the rest are pretty unique. Even within brands, the different models often have different hangers.

The worst criminals here has to be Specialized.

Please enlighten me.

Hi

I would like to know whether one must keep to you bike specific parts or can one buy a rear derailleur hanger to fit across different makes of bikes. Acording to my LBS I must get buy the part manuafactured buy by the brand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Uh, dood? A question.

WHY would you want a hanger to fit across "different makes of bikes" ?

I am yet to come across a hanger that is common across different bikes. Does anyone ahve any examples of such compatible hangers? Obviously some of the factory catalogue frames which are sold under various brand names will be an exception, but the rest are pretty unique. Even within brands, the different models often have different hangers.

The worst criminals here has to be Specialized.

Please enlighten me.

I have a Raleigh T6000 Tandem, a Puegeot Tandem (alu framed) and a Omega Venturo MTB Tandem and they all use the same replaceable dropout hanger.

I have a Raleigh T6000 Tandem, a Puegeot Tandem (alu framed) and a Omega Venturo MTB Tandem and they all use the same replaceable dropout hanger.

I learn something new every day. Now, if I can get my customers to only ride those three popular bikes, I can do away with my hanger collection.

Bliksem!

I must buy a Saracen bike, it's RD hanger is only R450!

I have my old London Saracen MTB frame I listed for R200 in garage clearance the other day think I best adjust the price up seeing that the hangar is worth R450. Maybe I should try sell the hangar separately :P