Handlebars

Garfield2010

Do you get light handlebars that are allowed for both road and TT cycling? I am only doing TT in 4-6 races a season so I dont want those full blown big bars, rather the BGS legal bars (if I may call them that).

Basically I just want to change my seatpost and seat (which I already have), and then drop the bars a few inches for each TT race....

I have to replace my road bars in any case as they are 10 years old and the last remaining part of my old bike (the rest is all carbon)

Also will new handlebars make a significant difference in weight?

No, I dont have money for a TT bike.... :thumbdown:

You get TT clip on bars which are legal for the draft legal races like BSG, so you could use them at 70.3 or full IM. They pretty short and I don't think they extend further forward than the hoods. Does that make sense? They would be ILLEGAL for road races though.

I recently bought a bar (3t ergonova allu)with a shallower drop and shorter reach. Basically its way more comfortable than a conventional bar and I can spend a lot more time in the drops compared to the old bar I had, thus getting much more aero. For a race like 70.3 a TT bike with TT bars is overkill because the route is full of rollers, especially on the way out. For the return leg though, sitting in the drops would prove as effective as a TT bar IMHO.

For full IM though (which I haven't done) I think full TT bars with a full TT setup would make a massive difference. The route is much flatter and you want to conserve from the word go. 70.3 is a different course entirely and I think the route is perfect for a normal road setup provided you can spend lots of time in the drops.

Edited by Zula

Thanks Zula exactly my point. My current bars are overkill. THats why I want something smaller and lighter for EL.

Look at the 3t bars, fsa are good but pricey

I went for allu. as I couldn't justify the price of carbon. Also go for something with a flat top, I find it much more comfy.

Any idea which shop has got the best prices on these kind of items at the moment?

Get hold of emotion cycling and ask them who stock their stuff in jhb. I am in ct so I cant be of much help. Emotion supply 3t handlebars.

My link

Those are the bars I got. I cannot tell you the differnce it made to my overall comfort and efficiency from an aero point of view whilst riding in the drops. Also because its more comfy I ride in the drop far more often than I ever would have and at the same time saving energy because i am out of the wind.

Edited by Zula

• 1 month later...

Have a look at these on ebay http://item.mobilewe...nid=67333056884

Around R500 incl shipping.

please help me why do my hands always hurt in the palms it feel like all my upper body is weight is pressing onto my hands.

i got carbonfibre bars with flat tops.any help out there please i dont hold tight on the bars either to cause this

please help me why do my hands always hurt in the palms it feel like all my upper body is weight is pressing onto my hands.

i got carbonfibre bars with flat tops.any help out there please i dont hold tight on the bars either to cause this

It could be many things but firstly, has your bike been set up for you correctly. The difference in height between your saddle and bars could be too much and making you rest on your hands more than what you should.

Another possibility is that you legs and core is not strong enough to support your posture on the bike. Your weight is distributed between the saddle, pedals and bars. You want more weight on the saddle and pedals vs the bars.

Best would be to get your bike set up by a decent bike shop (that knows what they are doing) and take it from there. Lots of time in the saddle helps too thumbup1.gif

It could be many things but firstly, has your bike been set up for you correctly. The difference in height between your saddle and bars could be too much and making you rest on your hands more than what you should.

Another possibility is that you legs and core is not strong enough to support your posture on the bike. Your weight is distributed between the saddle, pedals and bars. You want more weight on the saddle and pedals vs the bars.

Best would be to get your bike set up by a decent bike shop (that knows what they are doing) and take it from there. Lots of time in the saddle helps too thumbup1.gif

many thanks for your reply.my bike is properly setup and wearing a good pair of gloves could it be that my bars is to low that my upper body weight is supported by my arms.

i do spent some good in the saddle but as soon as i get on the bike i can feel the strain in my palms.

can i perhaps tilt the saddle a bit up do you think that could also help because at present its level

many thanks for your reply.my bike is properly setup and wearing a good pair of gloves could it be that my bars is to low that my upper body weight is supported by my arms.

i do spent some good in the saddle but as soon as i get on the bike i can feel the strain in my palms.

can i perhaps tilt the saddle a bit up do you think that could also help because at present its level

Dunno man. Like I suggested, pop in at yor LBS and chat to them regarding your problem. The guys will definitely have some tips and tricks that will help.