Dura Ace - Ultegra

dylankeyter

Hi All

I recently purchased a bike with a 'dura ace' cassette. I am not proposing that it is not dura ace, but how do you tell between a dura ace 11-23 cassette and an ultegra 11-23 cassette? As far as I know, the cassettes do not have their model (ie dura ace) written on the sprocket.

Thanks! Smile

Hi All

I recently purchased a bike with a 'dura ace' cassette. I am not proposing that it is not dura ace' date=' but how do you tell between a dura ace 11-23 cassette and an ultegra 11-23 cassette? As far as I know, the cassettes do not have their model (ie dura ace) written on the sprocket.

Thanks! Smile

[/quote']

DA is meant to come with a DA lockring (says Dura Ace on it), as far as I know.  It's also meant to have some Ti cogs, I think, possibly the biggest 3?

I don't have DA, so I'm trying to remember from working on my brother's bike.

The Dura Ace has the 3 largest sprokets manufatured fromTitanium. they are mounted on a carrier and are not seperate. you can clearly see a colour diff in the Ti vs. the steel.

Im also sure on the lockring it will have a model number of some sorts, 7800 if its DA, where as the Ultegra says 6600 i think.

indeed' date=' lockring has 6600 on it, not complaining though, its a 12-23, better for league than a 11-23!

Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Therefore it is an Ultegra cassette, which is the better of the two - your luck. Titanium is a wholly inappropriate material for sprockets.

indeed' date=' lockring has 6600 on it, not complaining though, its a 12-23, better for league than a 11-23!

Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

Therefore it is an Ultegra cassette, which is the better of the two - your luck. Titanium is a wholly inappropriate material for sprockets.

LOL Clap

I was not aware of that. I have been mislead into believing that titanium is lighter and stronger than steel? Are Ultegra sprockets made from Alu, steel or alloy?

Thanks Johan, I always appreciate your insight.

Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Why?

Dylan, that's such a self loving profile pic Clap

How'd you go in Die Burger? Did I see you punctured on the road side?

Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Why?

Because Johan said so.

Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

LOL Clap

I was not aware of that. I have been mislead into believing that titanium is lighter and stronger than steel? Are Ultegra sprockets made from Alu, steel or alloy?

Dylan, Titanium is lighter than steel, but not stronger. It is stronger than aluminium though, but not twice as strong.

Titanium has about half the density (thus weight) of steel and double the density of aluminium.

Compared to steel, titanium is a very poor wear material in applications such as sprockets. It is much softer than steel.

Further, titanium is extremely difficult to machine, weld and heat treat. Therefore you'll see lots of reports of cracks in titanium frames. Absolute strength isn't always the whole story. It may be stronger than aluminium, but makes a poorer frame.

If you look at titanium's weaknesses, you'll see why it is only used on the top three sprockets of bicycled clusters. Those are the sprockets that racers are prohibited by peer pressure, never to ride in.

Titanium is also very expensive, mostly because of the high energy needed to extract it from its mineral form, titanium oxide.

Dylan' date=' that's such a self loving profile pic Clap

How'd you go in Die Burger? Did I see you punctured on the road side?

[/quote']

self loving hey? ego sentric?

no, it was merely a photo i liked, and thought would be appropriate as a profile picture.

Burger was great, punctured 4 times and sat on the side of the road for 4 hours.

Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

LOL Clap

Dylan, Titanium is lighter than steel, but not stronger. It is stronger than aluminium though, but not twice as strong.

Titanium has about half the density (thus weight) of steel and double the density of aluminium.

Compared to steel, titanium is a very poor wear material in applications such as sprockets. It is much softer than steel.

Further, titanium is extremely difficult to machine, weld and heat treat. Therefore you'll see lots of reports of cracks in titanium frames. Absolute strength isn't always the whole story. It may be stronger than aluminium, but makes a poorer frame.

If you look at titanium's weaknesses, you'll see why it is only used on the top three sprockets of bicycled clusters. Those are the sprockets that racers are prohibited by peer pressure, never to ride in.

Titanium is also very expensive, mostly because of the high energy needed to extract it from its mineral form, titanium oxide.

Thank you Johan, you are very wise and indeed the king of bicycle maintenance!

Originally posted by Johan Bornman  "If you look at titanium's weaknesses, you'll see why it is only used on

the top three sprockets of bicycled clusters. Those are the sprockets

that racers are prohibited by peer pressure, never to ride in."

.. bwhaa haa.. i think its more a case of less force and a smoother stroke being exerted on those sprockets , due to mainly used for climbing.. but thats just my opinion Smile