Otter trail run

RABUBI

RANT ON

Rip-off. I did it the first year it was held. R1800 entry fee. So you telling me expenses have gone up nearly 50% ? Its like the Epic. Hook them with a semi-reasonable entry fee, then milk their loyalty from the 2nd year on.

RANT OFF

If it's sold out, then I suppose the price is justified. A fair amount of the dosh goes to Sanparks. a large chunk!

For me it's just a pity that the southern storm seems to have fallen by the wayside again, in order to grow this event alone rather.

awesome presentation from this year

http://vimeo.com/motionpixel/2011otter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the Otter this year and entered again for the Retto next year. By far the best money I have ever spend on a race, the Otter is amazing.

And the route is just open for runners once a year during the race. Done multiple sani2c's, panorama's and countless mtb ultra's and marathons, and adventure races, and the

otter was one of the hardest things I have done, the stairs kill you.

I did the Otter this year and entered again for the Retto next year. By far the best money I have ever spend on a race, the Otter is amazing.

And the route is just open for runners once a year during the race. Done multiple sani2c's, panorama's and countless mtb ultra's and marathons, and adventure races, and the

otter was one of the hardest things I have done, the stairs kill you.

I would love to do that but my days of boulder hopping at speed are over thnks to bionic hip

Done the hike 3 times and those stairs kill me with a 30kg pack.I can imagine what it must be like to be able to be free of the weight

How does it work? Do they feed us the evening at the halfway mark or do you have to carry everything with you?

At the Hobbit they collected your "overnight bag" at the start and took it to the hut. So we only carried the days requirements with us....

How does it work? Do they feed us the evening at the halfway mark or do you have to carry everything with you?

At the Hobbit they collected your "overnight bag" at the start and took it to the hut. So we only carried the days requirements with us....

There is no stop, it's a one day event.

Even for the 11 hour challenge?

Yes, it's a one day event for everyone. It's just 42km, takes the challenge away if it's get's split over 2 days, the whole thing is about

running the Otter trail in a day.

8 hour cut off = Otter run

11 hour cut off = Otter ramble

It's the exact same race etc. Just a field split, think of it as the Sani2c race and adventure, same setup.

Good thing you asked about the 1 or 2 day thing. Would have been really funny to see the rather perplexed look on Garfields face on the day would he to find out he has to run 42k's in one day and not 2 days

Seems there is a time trail day 1 to determine starting order. then next day the 42km

yeah was about 3.2km this year.

why on earth do you guys want to run this beautifull route ?

its meant to be done slowly .... and enjoyed .....:P

did you guys actually pay nearly R3000 for the race?

To run 11hrs, crazy. I did it for free when I was in school 10years back. Hiked to stormsriver ran the otter and hiked back home. Was great fun. There was a 2 year waiting period to hike it, so I said stuff that i'm doing it now!

To run 11hrs, crazy. I did it for free when I was in school 10years back. Hiked to stormsriver ran the otter and hiked back home. Was great fun. There was a 2 year waiting period to hike it, so I said stuff that i'm doing it now!

One of the best trail races in sa

Next year it will be the other way around, naturesvalley to stormsriver

The sub 8 is for the more expierenced and elite and the ramble more for the slower guys and first timers

It a hard race with lots of stairs and in my opinion anything below 7 hours is great, sub 6 then you know you good and sub 5 you're just in a dif class

You have a short prologue the day before the time and the main race is the next day

There a few water tables along the way -also a few river crossings and its all happening in one day

Train and be prepared if you wana do this one-its not normal road running