Cable disc brakes to hydraulics

Paul01

Has anyone done this conversion and is it worthwhile? What all would it entail as I have a bike with cable disc brakes so I'm hoping it will not be to much of a big DIY job. Also looking at making my wheels tubeless, so there goes my bonus!!!

1. do the tubeless.2.leave the brakes and put on good v brakes.3.if money left get some beer to get to your target that you wanted /budgeted for. as for the conversion sorry i do not know, but you will not be sorry for the tubeless.

Get a good condition set of used or new Shimano Deore, SLX, XT or XTR hydraulic brakes. This should include the levers, hoses and calipers. You should be able to use the existing discs without a problem.

As for ease of DIY - it's easy. Mount the levers, route the hoses, attach the calipers to the mounts where the old cable calipers came off and Bob's your uncle!

I upgraded from v-brakes to Shimano SLX disc brakes and couldn't be happier.

Paul,

i would be interested in maybe buying the cable calipers from you, might help with your budget.

inbox me a price? :)

Edited by Neg VT

Unless you are having hassels with the brakes why bother?

Because its part of the fun! I enjoy buying bits and pieces so my ride is unique!

Howsit, thanks for all the replies. Had a look at the brake conversion thing and I think I'll leave that for a while(R1600), but going tubeless is def still gonna happen.

Cheers

Howsit, thanks for all the replies. Had a look at the brake conversion thing and I think I'll leave that for a while(R1600), but going tubeless is def still gonna happen.

Cheers

Look for a decent secondhand set. Hydraulics are way, way better than cables.

King crisp has dips on a set of hydraulics which I previously advertised, If he does not want them, i'm willing to depart with them for R800 - they have new pads which I only used for about 30km before I went to XT

EDIT: once you use hydraulic, you will never go back! More controlled braking!

Edited by Smolster