Motorpacing behind trucks

Bateleur1

Seeing the thread of someone in KZN who was motorpacing behind a truck made me start this thread that I wanted to do for a long time.

Is it really so dangerous to motorpace behind a truck? In the above mentioned thread there were a few who said it is dangerous. Why do you say that?

In my opinion the biggest risk is the fact that you might not be able to see oncomming objects like potholes and bricks in the road. But other than that, I don't think that it is any more dangerous than any other cycling on the road.

I personally do motorpace behind trucks every now and then but also take the following into concideration before doing it:

1) Pick the right truck. Normally it is a truck with a load on it but nothing loose on it (like bricks or something that can fall off). If it is loaded it normally also needs more distance to break.

2) Evaluate the driver. Observe the driver of the truck and pay attention to his accelaration and breaking habits. The moment they try to increase and decrease speed rapidly and irregulary I won't get in behind it.

3) Stay behind the wheels. When motorpacing, I will normally stay behind the wheels of the truck. Should there be a pothole or something comming, there is a fair amount of noise as the front wheels hit the object and it gives you the chance to react.

4) Have an exit point. Always make sure that you know exactly where you want to exit the slipstream and that you have a safe path out.

5) Assume the break lights don't work. I do not for one second look at the break lights of this vehicle. I will always constantly monitor my distance from the back of the vehicle and always listen to engine noise and break noise to give me a heads up on possible reduction in speed.

In my opinion the risks are pretty much the same as any road race where you sit in the bunch. In the bunch anyone can slam on the breaks or clip a wheel and the whole lot comes down at speed.

I also noticed the moment you motorpace behind a truck, cars back off and don't try to push you off the road. If you cycle to the left of the road, cars feel feathers for you but the moment you slip stream, they back off. I don't know how many of you have experienced it as well.

Ok flame away. What are your opinions. By the way I have a hectic day tommorow so will only check in later the day on all the objective opinions and the personal attacks ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing it for 20something years. Used to do it behind the team bakkie. Will carry on doing it.

Was going up Laversburg once, waiting to hook a coal truck, gears jammed, fell down next to truck, wheels missed me pip by millimeters. Was back doing it again the next day.

Been doing it for 20something years. Used to do it behind the team bakkie. Will carry on doing it.

Was expecting this answer from you. Also been doing it for some time. I just don't think it is as reckless as some people make it out to be.

Me and my team mate rode to his granny's place in Winterton the once. I hooked a truck. Doing about 110km/h or so, and I went straight through a pothole. My hands shot straight off the bars, and how my face didn't smack the stem, I have no clue. Waited about ten minutes for the team car, changed the flatted front wheel, and carried on. With the ride and with my life.

Was expecting this answer from you. Also been doing it for some time. I just don't think it is as reckless as some people make it out to be.

It sure aint reckless. I also was taught the same things you say about sitting behind the wheels, and leaving an escape route.

Often times, in traffic, it's safer behind a truck, then stuck in a lane or on the edge of the lane with cars aiming at you.

Evaluate the driver? Often easier said than done. Once, me and my old man, hooked this Karan Beef truck. The driver spotted us in the mirror, he starts weaving from side to side to try and shake us off. He couldn't, so he slams on brakes, jumps out the cab with a tyre iron and runs out into the road to try and donner us.I guess that was a one off random event though...

Edited by TNT1

Was going up Laversburg once, waiting to hook a coal truck, gears jammed, fell down next to truck, wheels missed me pip by millimeters. Was back doing it again the next day.

Yip. That is another concideration. If there are any doubts about the calibration of my gears I also call it a day.

Fun yes. I do it but it's not very clever and that's why I don't do it very often. Four wheels braking compared to two. The truck can see what's happening ahead while you simply look at the truck. Road surface as well cannot be seen.

But if it's only yourself and not your whole club motor pacing somebody you don't know then it's cool.

Yip. That is another concideration. If there are any doubts about the calibration of my gears I also call it a day.

Yeah, I was a teenager when that happened. What's that they say, young, dumb and full of Kallis' hair creme...

Me and my team mate rode to his granny's place in Winterton the once. I hooked a truck. Doing about 110km/h or so, and I went straight through a pothole. My hands shot straight off the bars, and how my face didn't smack the stem, I have no clue. Waited about ten minutes for the team car, changed the flatted front wheel, and carried on. With the ride and with my life.

Any bite marks in your shorts? ;)

Fun yes. I do it but it's not very clever and that's why I don't do it very often. Four wheels braking compared to two. The truck can see what's happening ahead while you simply look at the truck. Road surface as well cannot be seen.

But if it's only yourself and not your whole club motor pacing somebody you don't know then it's cool.

Yeah, when a whole group sucks up behind a truck, I back out. Not cause of the driver, but cause of the other riders.

I often feel that motorpacing is a lost (or at least dying) art. Old school guys, and us trained by the old school guys can do it. Seems like the new guys just have the knee jerk "it's so dangerous, and evil" reaction.

Like cloth cycling caps. It's a pity.

Any bite marks in your shorts? ;)

When I look back at it now, I clench a tad. Then? I was just pissed that I lost a good slip. (and I trashed I decent rim...)

Edited by TNT1

That is why I pick loaded trucks. They don't accelarate as quickly and also can't break as quickly. I once had a truck that was not heavily loaded that slammed on the breaks extremely hard to stop at a red traffic light. I could still stop in time. Small trucks, empty trucks and also busses (especially new once) I tend to avoid.

That is why I pick loaded trucks. They don't accelarate as quickly and also can't break as quickly. I once had a truck that was not heavily loaded that slammed on the breaks extremely hard to stop at a red traffic light. I could still stop in time. Small trucks, empty trucks and also busses (especially new once) I tend to avoid.

I can't hook anything other than the loaded ones ;)

Yeah right its fun, perfectly safe and kick starts the andrenaline gland for good reason... cause it can be dangerous if done randomly.

When you brush your teeth tonight, ask yourself if you hate them so much that you would risk loosing a few, usualy the front ones....

Motorpacing can be a great training technique if done properly i.e. you motor pace behind a scooter or small car driven by someone you know and who knows what they are doing.

post-182-0-04266500-1323115133.jpg