Benefit of moving to proper road pedals?

walkerr

Stepping my way through various upgrades - new crank and wheels working nicely. Haven't really decided or got budget on frame yet (Spesh Allez or Secteur Comp, or 'dale CAAD 10 all in the mix when I do).

Wondering whether next interim to go for proper road pedals - currently have Shimano MTB pedals on both road and MTB bike. Have never tried real road pedals yet, and wondering how much difference the bigger platform makes to the power you can put down and the comfort on longer rides?

I see few recommendations for Look KEO 2 Max on here and other sites, plus Time iClic and Speedplay's seem to have their supporters too.

If you're riding with carbon soled shoes, or some very tough polycarbonate sole, then the difference is minimal due to the stiffness of the sole and how the whole shoe effectively becomes your contact point.

For me, I stayed with the MTB pedals all through because I couldn't bring myself to spend another 1.5 to 1k on a pair of shoes, then another 1/2 k on pedals when I could just have stayed with the current set up.

As for the drag coefficient of road vs mtb pedals - it's minimal.

my view - stay with what you have. Means you can take both bikes on hols, and only need pack one pair of shoes.

my view - stay with what you have. Means you can take both bikes on hols, and only need pack one pair of shoes.

Cool, thanks. I've stuck so far for just that reason - can use either shoe on either bike with no hassles. Also don't experience any hotspots that I've read some folks suffer. If a proper road pedal would help be advance and put down more power, I'd jump at it - but if the advantage isn't there, there's plenty other goodies tempting me

I did not see much of a difference when I went from MTB to road pedals. However, If you are planning to ride with the pros you’ll have to swop eventually seeing that every little thing ends up counting at that level…

Cool, thanks. I've stuck so far for just that reason - can use either shoe on either bike with no hassles. Also don't experience any hotspots that I've read some folks suffer. If a proper road pedal would help be advance and put down more power, I'd jump at it - but if the advantage isn't there, there's plenty other goodies tempting me

i dont think the pedal will make that much of a difference. As you say, one pair of shoes for both bikes.

Stepping my way through various upgrades - new crank and wheels working nicely. Haven't really decided or got budget on frame yet (Spesh Allez or Secteur Comp, or 'dale CAAD 10 all in the mix when I do).

Wondering whether next interim to go for proper road pedals - currently have Shimano MTB pedals on both road and MTB bike. Have never tried real road pedals yet, and wondering how much difference the bigger platform makes to the power you can put down and the comfort on longer rides?

I see few recommendations for Look KEO 2 Max on here and other sites, plus Time iClic and Speedplay's seem to have their supporters too.

Look at speedplay's - their surface is as big as you MTB cleats.... stick to what you got at this point hey. Upgrade when you NEED to i.e. pedals are tired.

If you are planning to ride with the pros

Haha - good one - you made my day with that!

Still struggling to keep up with the rear of the the medium to slow groups - at 47, and only having started this 4 years ago I think that pro group is always going to be a long way down the road from me. It's more about own enjoyment and fun, but I do like to see my times/avg speed improving.

Thx for feedback though - sounds like I should stick on my SPDs for now and keep the dosh saved towards next frame.

Look at speedplay's - their surface is as big as you MTB cleats.... stick to what you got at this point hey. Upgrade when you NEED to i.e. pedals are tired.

And then, just buy new SPD's and shoes. Not 2 sets of pedals and 2 lots of shoes...

Rule #34

Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.

On a mountain bike.

Nice - I don't get that far down the rules already though. It's getting iffy by rule #8, and by #11 I'm in clear violation. So there is no hope for me!

Nice - I don't get that far down the rules already though. It's getting iffy by rule #8, and by #11 I'm in clear violation. So there is no hope for me!

:thumbup: Fair enough. Seriously though, no performance change between mtb and road shoes and pedals. Unless you have a cheapy pair of mtb shoes with a flexible sole compared to a more rigid road shoe.

:thumbup: Fair enough. Seriously though, no performance change between mtb and road shoes and pedals. Unless you have a cheapy pair of mtb shoes with a flexible sole compared to a more rigid road shoe.

Cheers. Did notice difference when went to stiffer shoes

OT - I'm one day hoping to be able to conform to #33, not by shaving my legs but by laying down the hurt. Distant and unrealistic goal that it is. My better half refuses to be seen with me with shaved guns, and following that of course is one of the many places I fail on #11. So call me a hippie douche ;)

I had Sidi dragon 2's with shimano M520 cleats on the mtb and ryder cleats on my road bike.

2 months ago I "upgraded" to the look keo 2 max's and got a pair of ergo 3's.

I could immediately feel the difference in contact area and my power testing showed an increase by 7% over a 15km TT on the IDT.

It took a while to get used to but it made a huge difference, especially in my sprinting.

But, it might also pay to get some XTR pedals as they have a big contact area as well and then you don't need to get a pair of road shoes.

Rather get some dragon 3's and XTR pedals for your road and mtb, they make a HUGE difference.

If you're riding with carbon soled shoes, or some very tough polycarbonate sole, then the difference is minimal due to the stiffness of the sole and how the whole shoe effectively becomes your contact point.

For me, I stayed with the MTB pedals all through because I couldn't bring myself to spend another 1.5 to 1k on a pair of shoes, then another 1/2 k on pedals when I could just have stayed with the current set up.

As for the drag coefficient of road vs mtb pedals - it's minimal.

Agree with you 100%

If you are gradually funding your Bike habit and don't have big cash to throw away all in one go. Then it becomes expensive when you have different pedals, the trick is that you have to buy road shoes with road pedals (unless you have the mtn bike shoe that has holes for both types of cleat)

My last pedals were Look Road pedals, now on shimano mtn bike pedals, cos I can use them everywhere and only need 1 pair of shoes. On longer distances I haven't noticed any difference (But then I am still a funrider - not a pro)

um, what I do like on the mtn bike pedals is that I can adjust the foot swivel angle a lot easier than with road pedals. So if I am tired in a set position I can twist my foot easier. My old road pedals had my foot solidly trapped.