[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic 2012

Supervan

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having only done my 1st 25K MTB race this weekend, I was thinking of trying out the 20K on my MTB without slicks.

Good idea or bad idea?

I've entered. Debating whether to recommend my wife to enter - she has entered the Argus and riding every weekend with increasing KMs around the Cradle. She is keen to get mileage in, but worried that cover is removed before she finishes (94.7 in 5 hours) - is this likely to be an issue? Or does the race have a sweep van that follows last rider?

Always a good, fast (but challenging) race. My experience is that it has always been well marshalled, well managed and well attended. A last chance to really clear the pipes out before the Argus.

Just entered - noticed that they ask you to enter your national seeding index, and if you don't know it or don't have one, you'l be seeded according to Championchip timed events only. Looks like the groups are going to be a mess - I can just see people with seeding indices of 35 entering 15 with their entry so that they can start in the A group.

This could be ugly!

I've entered. Debating whether to recommend my wife to enter - she has entered the Argus and riding every weekend with increasing KMs around the Cradle. She is keen to get mileage in, but worried that cover is removed before she finishes (94.7 in 5 hours) - is this likely to be an issue? Or does the race have a sweep van that follows last rider?

The sweep vehicle and an ambulance follows the last person.

The last start group is at 07:55 (103Km) or 08:44 (65Km)

Add 5 hours for the 103Km and your wife will finish at 13:00, which is 1 hour earlier than the last person usually finishes.

Just entered - noticed that they ask you to enter your national seeding index, and if you don't know it or don't have one, you'l be seeded according to Championchip timed events only. Looks like the groups are going to be a mess - I can just see people with seeding indices of 35 entering 15 with their entry so that they can start in the A group.

This could be ugly!

CSA have the results from the past 2 years, and seeding will be done according to their list.

Edited by geraldm24

CSA have the results from the past 2 years, and seeding will be done according to their list.

That's all fine and dandy, but I didn't do it last year and in 2010 only managed a 3h40 after sitting on the side of the road for 45 minutes with a puncture. In 2009 (and I'm stronger than I was then) I did a 2h44.

My only Championchip results I have for the past year are for the Kremetart (my first race after major knee surgery, so a very bad seeding) and the Fast One a few weeks back (which was also a bit of a disaster as a result of a mechanical).

If the organisers want to cut costs, that's great, but I do think that safety is all important, and proper seeding in a fast race like this is essential for safety.

Are the organisers trying to cut costs by not simply getting proper seedings?

Can't comment on behalf of the organisers, but every time that I participated, i did not experience any problems with the seeding. I personally think that you know your own ability and If you are seeded in a group which you should not be in that you should drop down. I also think that the A bunch “quality” have in proved compared to a couple of years ago.

Personally If i get seeded to the A bunch I will drop down to B, because I ended up doing the Emperors on my own. I then met up with the BL’s at 60KM and finished the race with them. My average would have most probably been higher If I started with the BL

Can't comment on behalf of the organisers, but every time that I participated, i did not experience any problems with the seeding. I personally think that you know your own ability and If you are seeded in a group which you should not be in that you should drop down. I also think that the A bunch “quality” have in proved compared to a couple of years ago.

Personally If i get seeded to the A bunch I will drop down to B, because I ended up doing the Emperors on my own. I then met up with the BL’s at 60KM and finished the race with them. My average would have most probably been higher If I started with the BL

Agree - have never had any problems with the seeding before, and I also also often drop back a group as well.

My point (and maybe I'm misguided) is that it doesn't look like the seedings will be done in the same way that they have been in the past (simply asking people what their seeding index is, using only championchip timed events and the results of this race for the past two years doesn't seem very credible).

That's all fine and dandy, but I didn't do it last year and in 2010 only managed a 3h40 after sitting on the side of the road for 45 minutes with a puncture. In 2009 (and I'm stronger than I was then) I did a 2h44. It's results for ALL races for the past 2 years.

My only Championchip results I have for the past year are for the Kremetart (my first race after major knee surgery, so a very bad seeding) and the Fast One a few weeks back (which was also a bit of a disaster as a result of a mechanical).

If the organisers want to cut costs, that's great, but I do think that safety is all important, and proper seeding in a fast race like this is essential for safety. Safety is our number one priority - we're cyclists too.

Are the organisers trying to cut costs by not simply getting proper seedings? No, we're cutting costs so the cyclist doesn't pay more for their entry. Times are tough for everyone.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly, sorry - hope this helps clarify the issue.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly, sorry - hope this helps clarify the issue.

Thanks Geraldm!!! Look forward to a great race next Sunday!!!

Because of that, they get to start in front of a licensed bunch or two - it's either start them 20 minutes after so they don't catch the bunch in front, or start them before with the normal start intervals.

Agree - have never had any problems with the seeding before, and I also also often drop back a group as well.

My point (and maybe I'm misguided) is that it doesn't look like the seedings will be done in the same way that they have been in the past (simply asking people what their seeding index is, using only championchip timed events and the results of this race for the past two years doesn't seem very credible). It sounds a bit confusing, which is why it has already been addressed.

Imagine if everyone decided to drop back because they felt their seeding wasn't a true reflection of their ability.

It's okay if one or two people drop back, but that only increases the size of the groups following behind, and then organisers get moans and groans that the groups are too big.

Edited by geraldm24

Imagine if everyone decided to drop back because they didn't feel their seeding was a true reflection of their ability.

It's okay if one or two people drop back, but that only increases the size of the groups following behind, and then organisers get moans and groans that the groups are too big.

I think its a bigger problem with how seedings are done. A few years back I managed a ridiculously fast time at the Bakwena, with the result that I was almost always in the A group (which was not always the best idea). In these circumstances (i.e. if you KNOW that you really shouldn't be riding with the big dogs in the A group) I think it's simply common courtesy to the big dogs to drop back a group. Obviously, however, you always want to be in the best group you can be ...

If the seedings are done properly (and seeding indices calculated properly, which wasn't the case with me after that Bakwena), you shouldn't feel the need to drop back a group.

Because of that, they get to start in front of a licensed bunch or two - it's either start them 20 minutes after so they don't catch the bunch in front, or start them before with the normal start intervals.

Imagine if everyone decided to drop back because they felt their seeding wasn't a true reflection of their ability.

Don't worry - I haven't seen that many people who drop back - will see on the day how I feel :blush:

This race is one of my favorates...