Am I being unreasonable?

Minion

A while back, I bought a Lemond Power Pilot to go with my Revolution trainer. Two of the major reasons that I bought it were so I could make my own programs and upload them and so I could stream the live data from the Power Pilot to my computer - basically giving it similar functionality to my older trainer where I could use my Edge 705 for programs and stream the live data from my Powertap to my PC.

I thought it could do these things because, on the packaging, it says (my highlighting):

1.) "IMPORT YOUR TRAINING PROGRAMS. No more dealing with paper-based workouts. Just import your programs into the Lemond Power Pilot and follow the screen prompts."

2.) "ANT+ ENABLED FOR EASY DATA DOWNLOAD. The Lemond Power Pilot allows you to link other ANT+ devices, enabling you to stream your workout data directly to your watch or PC."

After some communications with Ballistic Bike Trading and Lemond, it turns out that I can't do either of these things.

1.) It is apparently possible to upload programs, but there is no currently available way for me to actually create them.

2.) You can stream ANT+ data to some Garmins, but there is no known way to send it live to a PC. It can be wirelessly downloaded from the Garmin post-workout.

I interpreted the statements on the packaging and the response as meaning:

1.) It says I can create and upload my own programs. I can't do this since I can't create them.

2.) I interpreted 'streaming to PC' as meaning I can send live data wirelessly from the Power Pilot to my computer. I can't do this since Lemond doesn't know of any method to do it live.

My questions to you are:

1.) Am I interpreting the claims on the packaging and their responses correctly?

2.) Am I right to claim that their packaging is misleading?

3.) Am I being unreasonable in asking to return the Power Pilot since I was giving the false impression that it Could do something that it can't (it's within the six month of my original purchase)?

One should always ask exactly what the features of a device are, or look them up - because most sales people haven't the foggiest clue...

I think that their package is misleading, but then many many packages claim things that are true in one context but not another. ie 'import YOUR programs' may imply that you can create them, but it doesn't say it specifically.

Ask for the refund, and take a lesson from it, I rate.

One should always ask exactly what the features of a device are, or look them up - because most sales people haven't the foggiest clue...

Normally I do this, but when I bought it earlier this year it had just been released and there were not many reviews or forum posts around. Those that were there hadn't tried to stream and use the programs, so no comments on those features. The only other info was the packaging and the website.

Serves me right for being an early adopter.

Edited by Edman

I would ask for my money back as it can't do the main things you wanted it to do.

Would you have bought it if you knew it couldn't do those functions you mentioned?Why should you suffer!

Did you buy it locally?

Did you buy it locally?

I did. So far BBT have not been willing to do the refund which is partly why I was wondering if I was being unreasonable.

Edman, mail consumer@knowler.co.za. Wendy's working through December. Maybe she can help.

I did that last week but didn't receive a reply. I'll try again.

I did that last week but didn't receive a reply. I'll try again.

Will drop you a PM in the morning.

On my phone now, so don't have the full version of the hub...

I did. So far BBT have not been willing to do the refund which is partly why I was wondering if I was being unreasonable.

You are definitely not being unreasonable... This part in particular: "enabling you to stream your workout data directly to your ... PC." is quite clearly false information - not a matter of interpretation.... (based on info you've provided)

Edited by dracs

Edman, mail consumer@knowler.co.za. Wendy's working through December. Maybe she can help.

Yip, schools are on holiday, so she's off from PA duties.

let her give them hell :)

if what you say is true then,

shame on LeMond for misleading you.

shame on ballistic for not backing up a customer when they have been mislead themselves.

it's a pity since

a)this is just a software application that should be written

b)the hardware is available, surely there are drivers for this (esp if you were doing it before)

not being unreasonable at all, pity that you had to be the one to find out. surely this is an international problem. anyone else ranting elsewhere on the interwebs?

not being unreasonable at all, pity that you had to be the one to find out. surely this is an international problem. anyone else ranting elsewhere on the interwebs?

I found a pretty comprehensive thread on Slowtwitch about the program issue. Same response from Lemond. The people who bought the Power Pilot seem to be adopting a pretty blasé attitude about it, though.

I haven't found any complaints about the lack of streaming, nor have I found anyone actually using it.

It's irritating because I believe it would be fixable by someone writing the correct software to make the programs and implement the streaming on a PC. No-one on the internet's done it yet, though and Lemond hasn't done it so I'm left without features that I really wanted to use.

Edited by Edman