How to get this screw out???

Cycle Tech  Kyalami

Hi all,

The screw at the back that keeps the rear wheel from touching the frame has snapped off on the left side, i have about 5mm of screw that is sticking out to try and get it out. We tried to get it out by making a grove and trying to turn it out... Not working :thumbdown: You can't grab it with the pliers as the 5mm is not enough...

If you look at the picture you will see 2 screws, those two come out and then that silver plate comes off. After you do this the screw is exposed by about 5mm.

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to remove this screw? OR should I rather take it to a machinery to let them try and take it out?

Regards,

Leon.

post-29163-0-62366200-1323860269.jpg

post-29163-0-65085500-1323860624.jpg

post-29163-0-50489700-1323860673.jpg

post-29163-0-26163600-1323860683.jpg

Use a drillbit with a smaller diameter than the screw and drill a hole precisely in the middle of the broken screw. Then use a "easy out" (a device made specially for this application, to be bougth at any decent toolshop) slightly smaller than the diameter of the drillbit used. Turn this into the drilled out hole. As it is of "opposite thread" (dunno the correct term for this) it will grip the broken screw and turn it out.

Works like a charm. Have removed many a broken or stripped screw in this manner.

OOPS, HAD A PROPER LOOK AT YOUR PHOTO'S. MY METHOD WILL BE DIFFICULT TO USE BECAUSE OF LIMITED SPACE.

Where's JB!?

Edited by Wannabe

Take a electrical drill with a small steel drill bit, drill small hole into the middle of the stuck screw. Then take a screw extractor and slowly turn it into the tiny drilled hole until it grips nicely. From there its easy as it will self extract. The extracting tools needed for this wouldn't cost you more than R100 from a hardware shop.

Use a drillbit with a smaller diameter than the screw and drill a hole precisely in the middle of the broken screw. Then use a "easy out" (a device made specially for this application, to be bougth at any decent toolshop) slightly smaller than the diameter of the drillbit used. Turn this into the drilled out hole. As it is of "opposite thread" (dunno the correct term for this) it will grip the broken screw and turn it out.

Works like a charm. Have removed many a broken or stripped screw in this manner.

OOPS, HAD A PROPER LOOK AT YOUR PHOTO'S. MY METHOD WILL BE DIFFICULT TO USE BECAUSE OF LIMITED SPACE.

Where's JB!?

+1

Where's JB!?

What a great little tool :clap: , this would have come in very handy many times for myself. Thanks for that tip :thumbup:

First, I'd use lots of Q20 or other pentrating oil to get it as lubed as possible. Then try various things with a Dremel tool and flexible extension - either drilling it out with a 2 or 2.5mm drillbit as Wannabee's suggestion, or getting some used drillbits/tooth grinding stuff from my dentist. (Dremel tools = damn useful for the price. Even had to cut a very small hole into a box section of the car to find a loose bolt - 2mm steel - with the cutting grinder and it worked perfectly.)

While 1hills approach does have it's merits I do believe that if you were to remove the sliding dropouts, drill a small pilot hole and use a 'reverse,' drill bit you would be able to get the little sod out.

Good luck :thumbup: