Holiday riding - CPT and about

hayleyearth

Mtb - go to Hillcrest or Contermanskloof - 10min from Century City - both great rides

Road - Bit tricky from Century City

I checked out via google maps that it is a 13km ride from Century City to Contermanskloof, is it safe to ride there or better to go by car. Just not sure what the area is like I would go through to get there. :unsure: Many Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out via google maps that it is a 13km ride from Century City to Contermanskloof, is it safe to ride there or better to go by car. Just not sure what the area is like I would go through to get there. :unsure: Many Thanks

It is fine. I used to do it every day but have now moved to Tokai. Go through Edgemead.

I will be riding durbanville (contermans, hillcrest, meerendal, ets) on Sat 24th, Mon 26th, Wed 28th...

Start around 6:00 ride between 1 and 3 hrs. Anyone welcome to join. I know trhe area quite well and can adapt rides to suit experience and fitness levels.

its quite safe, its a busy area ;)

I'm aiming for an EASY Oak Valley on the 24th and Bains Trails (Welvanpas) on 26th together with my wife and brother-in-law. Real slow-coach stuff. Both AM rides starting around 08h30.

Will possibly aim for Tokai or Tygerberg area on the 28th.

Do you need any member boards being a tourist when riding the trails around Majik, Contermanskloof, Hillcrest etc? Do you buy one for the day and it gives you access to all the trails for a day fee of R25

Also which is the best place to park if you wanna do a loop and connect the best of the all the trails available(maybe 40-50km), cause from what I've seen via the Tygerberg MTB website it is possible.

Anyone doing any rides tomorrow morning?

Edited by Caerus

You had to be a Tygerberg Mtb club member to link Contermans with Meerendal and last I heard that link was closed even to them after a disagreement with the landowner. The link between Majic and Hillcrest is still open, but to their members only.

I would start at Hillcrest (R25), ride over to Contermans (another R25), then back to Hillcrest via Kliprug (Free). If you make sure you do all that is on offer here, you've done well. Then you can decide whether you want to link with Majic (free)or Meerendal (another R25) by road or head back home.

I think some of those R25s may actually be R30 now)

I will be riding durbanville (contermans, hillcrest, meerendal, ets) on Sat 24th, Mon 26th, Wed 28th...

Start around 6:00 ride between 1 and 3 hrs. Anyone welcome to join. I know trhe area quite well and can adapt rides to suit experience and fitness levels.

We went out to ride Tygerberg for the first time yesterday morning. We started at HIllcrest and rode up to the masts. The trails were in great condition and we were impressed. Unfortunately on the downhill from the masts a rock took out my rear derailleur, a couple of spokes and my tyre.

I would like to go out again and ride for 2-3 hours and would appreciate some suggestions where to start and what route to take.

Do you need any member boards being a tourist when riding the trails around Majik, Contermanskloof, Hillcrest etc? Do you buy one for the day and it gives you access to all the trails for a day fee of R25

Also which is the best place to park if you wanna do a loop and connect the best of the all the trails available(maybe 40-50km), cause from what I've seen via the Tygerberg MTB website it is possible.

Anyone doing any rides tomorrow morning?

There is an honesty box at Hillcrest. Not sure if they will be open though on 25th - private land with access control. But I may have it wrong.

Personally I've got a date with Santa tomorrow. Hopefully I've been a good boy. But doing Oak Valley near Elgin (again!) on 26th. Red + Green routes. 38km. Really, really enjoyable with some lovely flowing single track.

There is an honesty box at Hillcrest. Not sure if they will be open though on 25th - private land with access control. But I may have it wrong.

Personally I've got a date with Santa tomorrow. Hopefully I've been a good boy. But doing Oak Valley near Elgin (again!) on 26th. Red + Green routes. 38km. Really, really enjoyable with some lovely flowing single track.

What time are you riding FlyMango?

So I finally got to ride Hillcrest today, this after a false start at Tokai this morning . I lost the screw for my seat post clamp somewhere between Durban & Cape Town(Doh),and stupidly only checked once I got to Tokai, anyway will get back there another day.

Hillcrest was great, lots of climbing involved on some fairly rocky jeep track up to the masts, somehow hooked into the "black" route at the top, then down on some fast flowing rocky single track(had my first tumble in ages here) to the bottom near Kliprug, should have been on the red route, but took a couple wrong tuns along the way due to routes not being properly marked(maybe it was just me), but this seems to be a common issue at most trails from the sounds of it, always seems simple to the people that ride there often :lol: Maybe a route map along the trail if possible is one idea.

I then somehow got back onto the red route and made my way back to the restuarant, then did the same route again :thumbup: , me thinks its better to ride there with someone that actually knows all the routes. It will also make sense to be riding by 6.00am rather as it was pretty hot out there, and youre completly exposed most of the time

I will certainly be back again, need to see more and try hook up all the routes properly. Are there maps available to buy at the Restaurant/ Coffee Shop? It was closed today so not sure. :clap:

Edited by Caerus

What time are you riding FlyMango?

Sorry Caerus. Only just logged in again since Christmas lunch. We were at Oak Valley at about 09h30 this morning, not that it helps you much now. Hope you enjoyed your ride today.

I'm going to go ride Tokai this arvo for the first time, is there a particular route/ trail to follow that can get in the best of everything, looking at a 30km ride? Just looking at the map now, and just not sure which way to go, also taking into account the up & down trail directions.

Tokai Trail Map.pdf

I'm going to go ride Tokai this arvo for the first time, is there a particular route/ trail to follow that can get in the best of everything, looking at a 30km ride? Just looking at the map now, and just not sure which way to go, also taking into account the up & down trail directions.

Up faire garden, then cross over to my roots.up there then up jeep track to bottom of vasbyt up vasbyt to top. Then up to boulders from boulders to new DH section . then Take a long ride up to top of bridal path down bridale path, down to mamba ride mamba down to boomslang, acroos to snay snake eyes down to bottom. ride out on jeep track to top of vasbyt down vasbyt to bottom across to my roots again ride up to faire garden and then back down to car park :D

should do well.

JUST TURN OFF BEFORE THE BERM ON TOP OF VASBYT

Edited by leet22

Up faire garden, then cross over to my roots.up there then up jeep track to bottom of vasbyt up vasbyt to top. Then up to boulders from boulders to new DH section . then Take a long ride up to top of bridal path down bridale path, down to mamba ride mamba down to boomslang, acroos to snay snake eyes down to bottom. ride out on jeep track to top of vasbyt down vasbyt to bottom across to my roots again ride up to faire garden and then back down to car park :D

should do well

Thanks for that, If I could be so bold as to ask :rolleyes: if you could mark on the map I attached which directions I should be going, It would be much appreciated. Another question is a map available at Tokai that I could take with me or should it be easy enough to follow with the signage? I also don't wanna b getting in the way of the downhillers.

Whats at the berm?

Edited by Caerus