Holla trails

King_Crispy

Hi Hubbers

We went for a ride on Monday late morning at Holla Trails in Ballito. We opted for the purple (25km) route. After paying our R50 we headed out on the trail. The marker boards are great to start off with, then they disappear.

So if you're planning to head out that way, either take a lot of extra fluids with or don't do the purple route if you're only good for 25kms. We ended doing closer to 40 and being really thirsty when we got back.

And don't think you can call the cell number on the numberboard provided. Rings until it goes to voicemail. Then a day later the cell number calls you back, but lets it ring once and then hangs up. What if there had been an emergency like a snakebite or similar?

Neil, you need to lift your game. We were promised a call, and yet to date no contact to try and explain why you aren't maintaining the trail you are charging top dollar for? I suggest you head out on the trail yourself with a few boards and fix the route up if you want to keep other cyclists happy and no lawsuits. Signing an indemnity is one thing, but negligence is something else. There were other groups who were as pissed off as we were, but they had just paid for 10 rides each...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont use holla again. Had the same issues with route markers. And for R50 its not worth it. I would rather get a tongaat hullets board and ride in the cane

We had a similar experience in January. Ended up with a 6 hour and 85km ride on water and no food. We eventually got hold of the contact person who sent out a local to find us.

I was hoping that the marking had been sorted out as we have planned to go back to Holla Trails next week.

Edited by I FLY

I rode the maroon on Sunday and only had once instance where I had to turn back and was my fault, the maroon course is well marked and had a good ride.

:thumbdown: for the cell not being answered though.... So right about an emergency

I rode the maroon on Sunday and only had once instance where I had to turn back and was my fault, the maroon course is well marked and had a good ride.

:thumbdown: for the cell not being answered though.... So right about an emergency

Wiz@rd, what is the distance for the maroon?

Had a similar experience this weekend with the signs on purple route. Got horribly lost and was just lucky enough to be able to follow another group of riders home who seemed to know where they are going.

Missing signs are not nearly as irritating as signs that are lying down or even worse signs that do not give a clear indication of which fork to actually take.

As someone not local to the area it costs me well over R200 bucks in fuel and tolls to get there and back before paying the R50 preimium. The fact that I cannot guarnatee being able to ride a decent marked route has essentially dropped Holla off the list of places to ride for me.

Well then from Sunday to Monday it went bad. Maybe there was a fire that we didn't see??? The marker wasn't on the pole. We ended up nearly 40km's on a 25km route. We had enough water for a 25km ride which should have taken just over an hour but took us 2.5hrs in the heat that Monday had to offer.

The very least to expect was a call from the owner like we were promised by the manager.

Imagine the *** if someone had been bitten by a snake or something? No help when you think you have your back covered...:angry:

I last rode there about a year ago, and it was the same story, seems not much has changed since then :thumbdown: This is also not the first time people have gotten lost from missing trail markers at Holla.

I can't understand why they don't have this sorted out before the holidays, what with the increased numbers riding there, poor showing. How do the markers even go missing? :unsure:

Wiz@rd, what is the distance for the maroon?

25kms of easy riding. One proper climb after the singletrack in the forest but it's short and over quickly (if you stick to the route) Otherwise you have a few nasty climbs if you go where you think you should be going....:thumbdown:

I read these post with great interest. My mate and I rode there two weeks ago and chose to do the yellow route of 45km. 70km later we found our way back with the help of a gps, the markers just stopped or where not visable, I wont be back soon

Edited by shaune

I last rode there about a year ago, and it was the same story, seems not much has changed since then :thumbdown: This is also not the first time people have gotten lost from missing trail markers at Holla.

I can't understand why they don't have this sorted out before the holidays, what with the increased numbers riding there, poor showing. How do the markers even go missing? :unsure:

It's been cane harvesting season so tractors, trucks etc have knocked them over. Most, if not all, of the trails are on working farms so farming takes priority.

I ride there quite a bit and have never really had any issues aside from the odd missing marker and if you keep your eyes open you can normally figure out which direction you're headning as there will be tyre tracks.

That being said, I haven't ridden there since September so maybe its got worse. Pity because there are some great trails there.

It's been cane harvesting season so tractors, trucks etc have knocked them over. Most, if not all, of the trails are on working farms so farming takes priority. Chap, the posts are still there, just sans the marker boards. We were expecting a tractor around every bend we went

I ride rode there quite a bit and have never really had any issues aside from the odd missing marker and if you keep your eyes open you can normally figure out which direction you're headning as there will be tyre tracks. Wrong! That's why we rode almost 40km's on a 25km route. We are both sensible riders, and followed the same approach. After retracing our routes on several occassions we realised the route was flawed and not us

That being said, I haven't ridden there since September so maybe its got worse. Pity because there are some great trails there. Yes, I have ridden there on numerous occassions and really enjoyed it, even punted it here on The Hub.

Besides, if others are also pissed off it's generally good to investigate and sort the problem out so that the general populous benefit from our mishap.

Sheeew.

Sounds like you ladies need a Bushveld GI Survival course.

I will see what we can arrange.

Bring a big knife, signalling mirror and some toilet paper.

Oh, and your bikes.

:D